Houzz Logo Print
mazarita

What to fill dining room with?

Maz M
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Does anyone have any advice how to make my dining room nicer? Because of our raked ceilings and not much natural light, I feel as if this room is empty and needs something to fill it.

Comentarios (10)

• juliahocking
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hi Mazarita

You are on the right track in attempting to create a focal point in your dining area, but.....

would it be possible to paint the wall (where the mirror is) a vibrant colour? Take your cue from something in the kitchen.

Replace the mirror with a painting/print containing the same colour as the wall.

Remove the other wall decoration as it would be a distraction.

This would make a bold statement, and fill the area with personality.

Best wishes.

• PRO
    Brilliant Colours
    hace 8 años
    I love kerryy's idea, especially the pendent lighting. But if a hall table does not fit, why not change the mirror to the other wall. Mirrors are like a window and will reflect some light. Then you could maybe use some fun wallpaper with different sheen to also reflect light into the room and creating a bit of interest on the wall where the mirror is at the moment?
    Have fun and good luck!
  • LouieT
    hace 8 años

Pendant light will help fill the space & add interest. Plus a nice table runner & some candles & a vase of flowers or plants to add more interest & layering.

The long wall with the decorative piece may have more room for a console table & the mirror to reflect light & table decor as it looks like a recess of sorts. Agree with a painting or print on wall where mirror is to also add colour, good luck!

• mrjudsonjames
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

A small & very quick improvement you could do in 10mins would be fix the viewers perception of proportions, at the moment you've inadvertently created a very low datum in the room, nothing is higher than the doorway, this creates a low feeling and makes what should be a lovely architectural feature (the high raked ceiling) feel empty.

You can break that in a few minutes simply by having something higher on the wall where the mirror is, to save money and time redecorating, I'd simply move your ironwork art on the wall behind the dining table ABOVE the mirror (maybe with the bottom of the ironwork level with the lower ceiling) so the grouping reads more as one statement and shows off the high ceiling more.

Then maybe a simple textured wallpaper or paint in a pale yet slightly darker shade on the smaller wall for depth.

A pendant light is a good idea also, as would be perhaps a large leaf fig tree in the corner, but these require an electrician and funds, so I've suggested things you can do yourself in an afternoon with what you already own and a cheap sample tin size of paint to make it look nicer.

Good luck what ever you decide!!

• bathroomcurious
    hace 8 años

I would add a console table with a big, shiny bronze lamp and a round mirror to bounce the light around. The high ceiling means you can get away with 'big' proportions in the space. Some colour would be great too - what about a bright pink rug under the table to lift the space?

• PRO
    Daring Flowers
    hace 8 años

Hi there,

I really like what you have there. You have many options that will require little work to make this space wok beautifully.

Agree with Brilliant Ideas and Kerry - changing the mirror position and adding a hanging feature like a pendant will make a lot of difference already. From what I can guess looking at your image, even a slim table would fit better under the mirror on the other wall.

In addition, you can include another hanging feature higher to make the ceiling look more interesting. E.g. 1 or 2 spotlights, hanging plants as simple as a Spanish moss.

After that, is just dressing the furniture with small decor. Personally, I like clean, relaxed and easy to maintain spaces.

Not sure about the correct colours, but here are some ideas for you:

Light pendant to match your mirror colour and dining set style.

Spanish moss can be hanged with a small hook. Minimum care required.

Slim table - you can use a chest of drawers like this one...

Slim table - or go for something a little different if you don't need extra storage...

To dress the furniture and kitchen bench - That's where my products can come handy :)

Our products · Más información

Our products · Más información

Please let me know if you want more help!! Love doing this!

Ana

• kooky_karen
    hace 8 años

The area needs colour - a large piece of artwork to replace the mirror.

• acharyaanisha
    hace 8 años
    Great ideas above.
    1) How about removing the cast iron decor thing and putting up a big artwork to replace it. Glass Pendant light in 2 or 3 and green plant or dried up long stems at the corner. On the wall that currently has the mirror, remove the mirror and put a small hall table with lamps and candles and paint the wall to a colour from the artwork, something subtle not too bright..Like light green. Or
    2) If you don't want to buy an artwork and just use the mirror, just replace the cast iron decor with the mirror, a console table with lamps and candles and paint that wall some nice pastel colour. Rug under the table would look great.
  • PRO
    Blikfang Art & Antiques
    hace 7 años

Yes, I would also suggest change your mirror to the wall with the wall hanging, and placing a large and colorful work of art on the wall where your mirror is. You will get great reflections with color vibrancy that will echo and lighten up the mood of the room... Perhaps an abstract by Phillipa Blair or sharp monochromes, with reflective glass to to enhance the light subtly.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.