Houzz Logo Print
monkiee32

Rug too big?

Edwin L
hace 8 años

Please bear with me as I'm by no means a designer and this is my first house. My living room is oddly shaped so the couch cannot go any further back or forward. The couch is 8' wide and the rug is 8'x10'. Is the rug too big for the space and would 6'x 9' work better? If not, should I pull the rug forward so that the media console is sitting on top of it? Any design tips is appreciated. I do plan on adding either vases or floor speakers on the left and right side of the media console.

Comentarios (33)

• ckar8
    hace 8 años
    I think the size is perfect. you never want a "floating" rug. perhaps pulling it fwd and trying it with the console on it a bit? that may help anchor it more.
    Edwin L agradeció a ckar8
  • C F
    hace 8 años

Definitely not too big. I agree with coralkar8-- see how it looks if you have just a few inches under each piece of furniture. I think you need a chair somewhere... perhaps angled away from media console towards the sofa? I would not put anything on either side of media console. Speakers are just unattractive and you have no need to clutter that space up with vases.

Edwin L agradeció a C F
  • Andrea Jefferson
    hace 8 años
    I love your sofa and the rug looks great!
    Edwin L agradeció a Andrea Jefferson
  • Crystal Walker
    hace 8 años

I think its the perfect size. I agree with everyone above try moving your console on it a bit.

Edwin L agradeció a Crystal Walker
  • shirlpp
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Yes, your instincts are correct, that rug is too big. The furniture should sit on the rug, however, there should be some space between the rug and your console. I think that the 6x9 would be perfect.

Lincoln Park Master Suite · Más información

Edwin L agradeció a shirlpp
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Edwin L agradeció a susan2494
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

I think the rug is the right size, but I would pull it back under the sofa all the way.

Edwin L agradeció a groveraxle
  • suezbell
    hace 8 años

Have you tried it turned the other way with the edge under the credenza and sofa rather than reaching beyond the side of the sofa?

Edwin L agradeció a suezbell
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I think the rug is okay size wise but really boring

Edwin L agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Montgomery Communications
    hace 8 años

As above, your instincts are correct. It is too big or too small.

Here is a starting point:

http://frontdoor.furniturerow.com/inspiration/rug-dos-and-donts#.Vo-4Z1lyzVJ

Step back for a bit and ask, what is the purpose of a rug?

It is to define a space.Which can be restated as 'anchoring' a space.

Keeping that in mind, it is easier to find the solution you need.

You can get some craft paper and tape together a large piece the size of a couple standard sizes. Then move it around and see what size you will need.

Other critical piece: The rug size you end up with will dictate the space and placement of the room.

Currently, the rug is dictating you pull the sofa in, and put the console on the rug. That may end up being a perfect solution, to be honest.

If you really like the current placement of the furniture, you will need a larger rug. Measure what rug will fit, and then go shopping. You may find with standard sizes, you will end up moving the furniture in or out a bit to accommodate.

Or, you can control exact placement by getting a custom rug. Best way to do that is go to carpet (or box) store. Find carpet you like give them the dimensions and have them bind it. This is not the cheapest solution, but may work for you.

In sum, a rug is there to create a space/anchor a space. Its dimensions are 'bossy', it dictates the furniture placement.

Now go have fun solving this, in a way that makes you love your space!! :)

(oh, do get a carpet pad. thickness is another discussion altogether LOL)

Edwin L agradeció a Montgomery Communications
  • Edwin L
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks everyone for their input. Is it "kosher" to put the front legs of a media console on a rug? I looked through pics here on Houzz and I only saw one out of 30 pics that showed a media console on the rug.

CF, I would put a chair there but it's pretty cramped. I have an egg chair I'll throw there and see if it works. Good point on the speakers/vase... it's already a small space so may be best to leave it clean and uncluttered.

Andrea, thank you!

Crissy, thanks, I think my first step is to put the front of the media console on it and see how that looks.

Susan2494, thanks for the input and the photoshop. I tried really hard finding a coffee table but the space is already very small (~6ft from the front of the console to the front of the couch). I think I'm going to stick with the two poufs you see in the pic.

Shirlpp, thanks. The problem I can see now with a 6x9, none of the furniture (console or sofa) would be sitting on top of it.

Groveraxle, impressive photoshop skills! I may consider that although I think the space between the rug and console may be a little too much. I'll try that this weekend

Suezbell, I haven't b/c I know if I flip it, the 8' couch will be sitting on the 8' side of the rug and I think it would look awkward.

Patricia, are you saying the rug is boring or everything in the living room is boring? I'm pretty conservative so I'm not into any flashy rugs. I'd rather have small decor pieces that can make the room pop a little. I still have to buy pillows for the couch so hopefully that will add some flare. Any inputs is appreciated.

Montgomery communications, thanks for the lesson... much appreciated! I did see the do's and don'ts which is why I have the rug the way it is now. I don't think it looks that bad, but b/c of the design of my living room, it's not symmetrical with the back wall (where the painting is hanging). You're right, ideally, I should go with a larger rug to fully encompass my sofa but the space just doesn't allow that. In your professional opinion, do you think it's "ok" to put the front legs of the media console on the rug?

• shiningautumn888
    hace 8 años
    Im confused though why your sofa is sitting in the entryway basically. I am certain there is a better layout.
  • shiningautumn888
    hace 8 años
    Could you put it so its back is to the iron stair railing and the tv is on the other wall for instance? Or if you must keep it as is, move it closer to tv so its not sitting fully in the entryway
  • Edwin L
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Maggys, I'll take more pictures this afternoon to show the rest of the living room. It's very oddly shaped and I believe this is the best layout (but I'm open to suggestions). I can't move the sofa any closer b/c I'll go blind sitting that close to the 65" TV

• shirlpp
    hace 8 años

Your console does not have to sit under the rug. You'd place the 6x9 rug, so that the legs of the sofa are on it, the entire sofa does not have to sit on the rug.

• shiningautumn888
    hace 8 años
    If you cant turn the arrangement 45 degree I would say it needs to be moved over to the right about 12 " ( the entire set up including tv). Its really odd to have a tv placed in an open entryway like that.
  • shirlpp
    hace 8 años

Notice where the rug ends, in relation to the console:

Marblehead Residence · Más información

Transitional Project 1 · Más información

James Hurt · Más información

• Maureen
    hace 8 años

If the console will fit on the wall where the art is, I would definitely move it and place the couch facing, as it feels like it's in the hallway. Keep the carpet in the same direction, but center it both length and width wise in the room, so it defines the living room. Imagine the room's set up below - it feels balanced, more inviting/practical. Hope this helps and even if you have to move the cable, I think it's worth it and you also now have room for extra seating and a coffee table, which is a bonus.

Tropical Living Room · Más información

• Tems
    hace 8 años

It all looks fine to me size wise, though you could have been more adventurous with the rug choice. You might try pulling the rug back a tiny bit and pulling the sofa forward a tiny bit.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

The rug is too large. I prefer one that slips under the front 1/3 of the sofa with a foot of rug extending past the ends of it, leaving a foot of open space between the rug and the credenza. I suggest switching the TV and art walls, sofa floating with its back to the railing and 30" or more of walk space between them. Add one or two swivel chairs under the art on the current TV wall instead of having the two hassocks for extra seating. A large coffee table or hassock/table should serve both the sofa and chair(s.)

• suezbell
    hace 8 años

Clearly your not entirely satisfied or you'd not be seeking opinions. Have you considered adding a narrow table at the end of the sofa -- narrow enough to fit entirely on the rug.

http://images.hayneedle.com/mgen/master:LEI047.jpg?v=1&w=120&h=60&pad=3&shadow=7&ds=ds16x9&vid=y&png=y

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Fun discussion going on! Further thoughts - i just sort of realized, another consideration is the space away from the TV. That is one big TV, and pulling sofa closer may not work for viewing.

Forget a coffee table. The best rooms I have ever seen don't have one. Side tables are much nicer, if there is room.

I also realized it not a console, it is an entertainment center (jeesh, my eyes need to be checked!) pull it away from the wall a teensy bit and put it on the rug. IKEA has some cord management ideas (always, what to do with the cables!!! )

Or *gasp*, see what the room looks like without the entertainment center. Might look terrific (or it might not, have to see) .

As it is, the space is floating, and is not acheiving the 'anchored' feeling that an area rug is meant to give.

Agree with you on understated rugs, but consider, a roomier (larger) rug will make the space feel generous and cushy and inviting, which the current rug is not doing. Consider slightly more medium color, to anchor the space also. Consider finding color that will merge/blend the brown of the couch with the grey painting and grey cubes.

Getting rug with border (or adding one yourself) might pull all together, too.

http://www.uniquecarpetsltd.com/sites/default/files/styles/half-page-width-460px/public/carpet-styles/featured-photos/OneBorder_room_rug.jpg?itok=QVOelDyx

https://secure.img1.wfrcdn.com/lf/187/hash/9252/12061122/1/G.A.-Gertmenian-and-Sons-Herringbone-Border-Beige-Indoor-Outdoor-Area-Rug-15801-15791.jpg

• Edwin L
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you to everyone for their input! Here are a few more pictures of the whole living room/dining room.

View from the dining area (looking to the front door)

Panoramic view from the kitchen

View from the sitting area by the window

View of sitting area

Sitting area

Now that you see the whole room, thoughts?

• er612
    hace 8 años

Is the shoe rack/bench permanent?

• Edwin L
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Er612, no it's not and will prob be replaced with a concrete rectangular planters box
  • avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

Hi, lovely space!

How much space is there now between the edge of the sofa seat and the TV console?

Can you try pushing the sofa forward so all legs sit on the rug.

By pushing it forward, it would also keep the distance between the edge of the rug (closest to the TV) and the TV console the same....as well as open the sight line a bit more to the dining area.

Just curious to see how this would look and if it would still leave you enough space for a rectangular or oval coffee table.

• avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

Do you have any plans for the large span of floor space between the sitting and TV areas?

• er612
    hace 8 años

• Edwin L
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

avery2pt0, Avery, as it currently sits in the pictures, there is about 6' from the front of the media console to the front of the sofa. If I put the whole couch on the sofe, I will have about 4' and that's too close to the tv unfortunately. I do not plan on putting anything in the space between the TV and sitting area

er612, many thanks for taking the time to give me some options. They all look great... however, if you look at this picture,

if I put the back on the couch to the end of the far wall, I would literally be about 3' from the TV. Ideally that would look good but not really practical unfortunately.

• Darzy
    hace 8 años

I think it would feel much more spacious if you move the sofa in front the of window for your "sitting area". Then, four swivel chairs sort of facing each other in the tv area. Way more open feeling and will not block the entry to the dining area. Pleas don't do a concrete entry. It will really block your flow and limit yourself in the future.

I am thinking something like this arrangement...4 swivel chairs for tv watching with a coffee table between the chairs. Arrangement like this photo only there is NO sofa. Four chairs only and leave the space open there.

Kiawah Family Home · Más información

• PRO
    hace 8 años

What activities will be taking place here?

Will you be doing crosswords? Knitting? Talking with friends over tea/coffee? Cocktails before dinner? Playing chess/checkers? Playing music/guitar/piano? Drawing/sketching/painting? Reading books/magazines? Taking a nap?

Once "what happens here" is defined, it is much easier to find out how to arrange the floor plan. Without that information, we end up sort of making our house look like a model home for a builder, or, try to make it look like some magazine photo. :-)

Have to nail down what activity will happen, then, let the furniture/arrangement support that.

Edwin L agradeció a Montgomery Communications
  • Edwin L
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I mainly want it to be a simple and comfortable place to myself and friends to hang out. Definitely minimalistic with some touches of flare (ie pillows and decor).

I don't mind it looking like a model home at all :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.