Houzz Logo Print
genethebene

Need advice on possible fireplace/built in repaint

genethebene
hace 8 años

We are wanting to update the look of our fireplace/living room. This room is very dark so we are considering a couple different options:

1. painting the fireplace a Cream-color and match the same color to the back of the
built in bookshelves.

1. Repaint the bookshelves entirely and leave the brick, but worry with it being connected to our kitchen
    and the cabinets not being the same it would look off.

2. painting the fireplace in Semi Gloss paint the same color as your walls. Keep the bookshelves, and use an accent color on the back wall of the shelves. Perhaps a deeper shade of the wall color, or another color you have in the room that you love.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Comentarios (18)

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

ok, from these shots, i do not see a real difference in the shelves and cabinets?

Brick should not ever be painted, as it is, it is a non maintenance item, paint and you forever have to maintain it. Also there is a professional reason, something to do with water retention. Some say that staining is good, i would research first, to be sure.

• genethebene
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the suggestion! Seems like alot of people are painting old brick fireplaces lately for an update. I now just have fabric behind the cabinet backs...the built-ins and kitchen cabinets are the same oak color, which is why I wasn't sure if painting the built-ins wouldn't work with the flow of this room.

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

I get what flair is saying and it really makes sense. often it is better to hang family photos on one wall. a pattern is often nice. Here.

easy to change out pics as you get new or seasons change.

Princess Street · Más información

The Capistrano - Quail West · Más información
    sorry about topic, but it is an excellent idea, one large piece, then smaller segments on same topic, i think all nudes in this case. for you maybe a wedding or family shot.

Long time Lurker- First time poster · Más información
    I love this one too. they bought a wall sticker then used that to join the pics into art.

then replace on the shelves with more colorful items. If you need the baskets there. It does look like this is an active storage system. It can't always be about design. Look on line for ways to bounce the color factor up on the baskets. You can stamp them, dip them, weave things into them. Hope it helps, let us know if you need more help.

genethebene agradeció a havingfun
  • genethebene
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for your suggestions! I do use the baskets as storage for family photo albums...but that doesn't mean they have to be up on the shelf, I guess I never really noticed how much they match the wood until it's pointed out, ha! I have so many family photo displays in my other living room, so not sure about that in this room. My main goal for this room was to get rid of the 80's brick look and the darkness of the room. Our kitchen granite is dark, so everything in this room is just dark. Perhaps a fresh coat of paint in a lighter color for the entire area would help too?

• genethebene
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Also, the banner and other things on the mantel are just my Thanksgiving/Fall decor, so its not out all the time.

• gduplessis
    hace 8 años

I would paint the built ins (including the back) an off white first. It will really brighten up the room. If you still don't like the brick fireplace, then paint it or resurface later (depending on the budget). There are some excellent photos of painted fireplaces on houzz.

• gduplessis
    hace 8 años

Yes. I agree. A fresh coat of paint in a lighter color for the entire room would be great.

genethebene agradeció a gduplessis
  • gduplessis
    hace 8 años

Here's an example of a really nice painted fireplace: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/painted-brick-fireplace-refresh-dsvw-vd~3525561

• genethebene
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you! I do think I may start with the bookshelves and room first before painting the brick :) Any color suggestions?? :)

• PRO
    TrippingRobot
    hace 8 años

I would definitely get lighter granite countertops if it's in the budget first. Then, I don't like those lamps by the bookcase. Replace those. I would also get different color baskets.

• partim
    hace 8 años

I have never heard of any maintenance concerns with painting interior brick.

• Carol Singletary
    hace 8 años
    I like your baskets.they provide a neat way to keep things that might look junky. If you paint the walls you should be good.

I was wondering, what do you think about only painting the shelves, and leaving the base unit in the wood to match the kitchen? Not sure if that would work or not. Just an idea.
    genethebene agradeció a Carol Singletary
  • havingfun
    hace 8 años

yes partim, i have been saying it since i got here. I only knew that most people in and out were not happy later with the brick, or sold it and the next poor person was stuck with it and they were unhappy, because everytime people change per style eventually they want the original back. and care of it takes work. But a pro came in the other day and talked about the actual negative effects structure wise with painting it.

Yes, you might want to consider just painting the shelves or the whole things, i think easiest is starting with the walls. Since you want lighter, let me see what i have. In addition metal lamps and fixtures glow more and sometimes add more brightness then white ones.

Rite Of Spring P300-3 · Más información
    i just love this one, it seems to glow

Yellows.jpg · Más información
    a group of yellows i picked up

Set the Mood: 4 Colors for a Cozy Bedroom · Más información
    some golds
    Coordinated Palette for Spring Storm | Whitewater Bay | Behr Paint · Más información
    the biggest blue or bottom could be good.

• onthefence
    hace 8 años

I like the idea of lightening other areas first before considering painting the brick.

There are defintely some beautiful painted fireplace photos available. Some painted fireplaces fit perfectly with the room and house style. Others just look like the person had no idea what to do and said "what the heck, I'll slap a coat of white paint on it".

Re: maintenance of painted fireplaces, I agree with havingfun. Most of the fireplaces in our neighborhood are wood burning and quite a few are painted. No matter what you do, there's going to be smoke residue. It can be cleaned - but it isn't easy. The marks on our brick FP are far less noticable than those on the painted FPs we see.

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    hace 8 años

Hopefully some of these designs of ours will help.

Interior Design Room Ideas · Más información

Living Room · Más información

• PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 8 años

I think your brick is very nice. start with the basic changes and get some colored baskets if you need them, some larger nic naks and such to give a little focal point here and there. also there is nothing wrong with one or two family pictures, get some different frames maybe a pop of color there too.

genethebene agradeció a flair lighting
  • PRO
    Victorian Fireplace Shop
    hace 8 años

I would paint the brick a few shades lighter of the same green that's on the walls. Leave the wood built ins because they match the kitchen cabinets. I personally like the green and wood earth tones that you have. My brick fireplace was an atrocious 1970's design that overpowered my dark family room. It's hard to tell from this photo but we painted the fireplace a lighter shade of green than the walls and it made the room so much more cohesive. Our built-in beside it was painted white already and we did white trim to lighten the room as it has no windows, just French doors leading to a sunporch.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.