Houzz Logo Print
mmmcdonald_mail

help with bathroom vanity lighting and mirror

Melinda
hace 8 años

We're adding on a bath, 5 x 9. No window, but will have a sun tunnel. Door opens on one of the 5' ends, and the vanity will be at that end facing the 9' wall, then toilet, then shower at the opposite end. I can't decide if I should have an inconspicuous medicine cabinet to the left of the vanity in that 5' wall and also a mirror over the vanity with sconces on either side or simply have a wood-framed medicine cabinet that matches my vanity (Jenson- mocha beech. Not too fond of its looks, though). I also don't know if I should go with sconces or a light over the mirror over the vanity...or how big the mirror should be. Vanity is 36" plus 1.34" spacer so cab door won't hit wall. We won't need to store much in the medicine cab, but my husband really wants one, which is why I was leaning toward the plain one on the 5' wall.

So I guess these are my points of indecision:

• where to place medicine cabinet
  • sconces or light over mirror
  • framed medicine cab versus unframed mirror with beveled glass

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

This bathroom managed to squeeze two light fixtures in flanking a mirror, but it was certainly a tight fit. However, the vanity below looks like it's smaller than the 36" you're going to have, so as long as you select very narrow sconces and measure carefully, you'll have space for a mirror between them. A mirrored recessed medicine cabinet might work, and would be a good idea because there will not be much storage in a 36" vanity.

Traditional Cloakroom · Más información

• acm
    hace 8 años

1) I cannot parse your description of the layout, but also can't tell whether that matters to your actual question.

2) if you want advice on mirror and lighting, we really need to see your vanity and have a sense of your style.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I actually prefer really good lighting over the mirror to sconces I would do a medicine cabinet that has a mirror attached so it serves double duty this is also one of my favorite bathroom lights it is halogen with lots of wattage these of course are more comtemporary and not sure of your style the medicine cabinet is a recessed one

• Melinda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for your comments. I'm uploading the plan. It's 5 by 8'11". I'm having a hard time adding more than one graphic at a time. The vanity is Jenson Danville model in mocha beech. Floor tile is Daltile Emos Emblem grey (wood-look) and shower tile is Daltile Florentine Argento. Hansgrohe Raindance waterpipe and Toto toilet and washlet. Brushed nickel hardware. I like modern, linear design as opposed to organic, curving, traditional, etc.

• Melinda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Our basic configuration, flipped, except the photographer would be standing in the doorway.

• Melinda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Jenson Danville mocha beech

• Melinda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Sconce I'm considering

• Melinda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
  • Melinda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I found the best of both worlds: Pottery Barn Astor medicine cabinet. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/astor-mirror-medicine-cabinet/

• PRO
    Blu Bathworks
    hace 8 años

How about a mirror medicine cabinet with build in LED lighting? We have a furniture line that might work for your bathroom. The mirror medicine cabinets come a variety of sizes and finishes, please let me know if you have any questions.

Melinda agradeció a Blu Bathworks
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.