Houzz Logo Print
amytrrll

What type of home is this? And any ideas for renovation?

Amy cowan
hace 8 años
We are going to begin renovating this home built in the 50's. Inside there are sweet little archways, galley kitchen, fireplace and 3 small bedrooms. I would like to search ideas for this home but I cannot figure out its style. We are thinking of adding a front porch that would extend across the entire front. Looking forward to any ideas!

Comentarios (15)

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

Try looking at Cape or Bungalo style homes.

Home Renovation and Addition in Decatur · Más información

Bungalo 'Craftsman' style Front Porch Addition'After':University Heights, Spfd. · Más información

• Liz Liller
    hace 8 años
    Do a search using Cape Cod and/or Cottage. That should give you some great ideas.
  • Katbv Vero
    hace 8 años
    A cape with no dormers?
  • housegal200
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Cape Cod style houses like yours are based on the colonial period saltbox house. So there were usually no adornments, complicated roof lines, porches, etc--just a basic, very efficient style. I lived in one and loved it. We added window boxes and a porch landing but nothing else.

However, these aren't colonial times, and it's not a crime to add a porch. But it's tricky on a Cape Cod because of the steep roof slope. However, it's possible. Here's an example of a very nice porch in proportion to the size of this Cape Cod. FWIW, I would've used straight pillars, not the bungalow style, but you get the idea.

Oh, P.S. Keep in mind that a porch limits the light that will come into your interior. Since Cape Cods have small windows already, this is something to consider. In the example below, note how the porch only covers one window, likely not the smaller orginal one, and that you're looking at a glass door as well to let in more light. Yeah, so $$$$

Hartman House · Más información

• rocketjcat
    hace 8 años
    Cape Cod Makeover · Más información
  • Amy cowan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    @housegal200
    Good point! The light is something I had been worried about with a porch. Thank you for your ideas!
  • housegal200
    hace 8 años

We lived in a neighborhood of wonderful, cozy Capes. A few people pushed out part of the front a several feet, not as a porch, but as an extension to a front room in the house. This created a nice-sized front-facing room--something to think about. (Others completely altered their Capes with huge additions, oversized dormers, etc. and IMO, wrecked our cozy neighborhood with their honking houses. Show some respect. If you want an oversized house, do not get a Cape.) Normally, I don't like turning a house with a characteristic style into something it's not, but in fact, the colonists did that very thing with their saltboxes or Capes, adding on rooms, usually in the back. You can see them all over New England. Proportion is everything.

• libradesigneye
    hace 8 años

The porch gable you have now is perfectly proportioned and charming with the arched ceiling. Before you spend money on a porch in the front of your cape, consider the advantages of front dormers on the upstairs spaces (need more closet space or a larger upstairs bath?) which are correct for Cape cods and the expense is minimal for the added square footage. I also notice yours has a rear addition - so, adding 2nd floor space or skylights and connections to outdoors back there are likely to get you more liveable upgrades that make a difference to you in living and to buyers when you are / if you are ever ready to move on. She is a darling home and I'm sure you will love her well.

• Amy cowan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Such great advice! Thank you for taking time to help. I agree keeping this house authentic to its minimalist style is necessary. Also love the idea of adding dormers for more space upstairs! Thank you!
  • housegal200
    hace 8 años

libradesigneye has good advice to devote your budget to dormers. To spiff up the front:

--powerwash the roof

--consider white pillars and a railing to support the existing porch

--get a new all glass storm door and paint the front door the same color as the shutters

--get a nice new mailbox and house numbers in black

--add a hanging pendant inside the porch

--paint the ceiling of existing porch pale blue

--add some window boxes

--fill out the beds all the way to the walkway and alongside the house to the driveway

Good luck!

• Amy cowan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Great ideas!! Thank you everyone for your awesome ideas!! Once we get moving on it I will post pics :)
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I don’t nessessarily think the inside has to be like the outside of a house I do however believe you can ruin a house by messing too much with the exterior. This house was built in 1905 we dormered out the center section at the back for a nice bathroom but left the facade unchanged and as you can see the interior was brought up to our century There is a pic of the LR inthe next post where we actually put back molding and baseboards to add some features that were removed in the 60’s

• PRO
  • Amy cowan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Wow! Patricia your kitchen is beyond fabulous! Thank you for the share!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.