Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

POLL: What do you think of Pantone's colours of the year 2016?

Emmeline Westin
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Pantone has just announced its two colour trends for 2016 (drumroll) and they are Serenity and Rose Quartz - two shades that easily blend. We have seen a lot of pastel recently and [you even predicted[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/what-will-be-the-colour-trend-of-2016-dsvw-vd~3483745?n=23) that pink would be big next year - well done Houzzers!

What do you think of these colours? Would you have them in your home? Do you prefer them over last year's colour (Marsala)?

I prefer Rose Quartz
I prefer Serenity
I like both!
Not a fan...
Other

Comentarios (78)

• maryben1001
    hace 8 años

Pink always great for interiors

• User
    hace 8 años
    For heavens sake it's just a colour! Don't like it, don't use it.
  • Jenny
    hace 8 años

chookie you look like a royal princess.

• User
    hace 8 años

Gee, I love the UK site!

• stryker
    hace 8 años

Lovely wedding, chook!

• User
    hace 8 años

Ladies and Gentlemen...I am proud to announce Lord and Lady Chookchook2, the ball shall be held in Serenity Hall and shall bring much gaiety and merriment along with peace and order.....')

• User
    hace 8 años

Not colors I would use but I can see them being put to good use. They are, as has been said, simply colors. No one is forcing them on anyone. They will go the way of the dodo bird if no one buys them and next year, we will be lamenting their loss as we are presented with more combos that evoke our reactions.

• User
    hace 8 años

What exactly is a dodo bird?

• User
    hace 8 años

The dodo is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.

Dodo | Info-History and Photos | The Wildlife · Más información

Photo from http://www.maciejfrolow.com/files/dodo09.jpg · Más información

• User
    hace 8 años

Thank you whynot- one can learn much on this site;)

• User
    hace 8 años

Always happy to teach you young'uns about the way things were when I was a kid. :D

• Gerry Rust
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Chookchook2 It loves you back ;) Whynottryit I'm always sad to see an animal become extinct but if it looked anything like picture 2 then it was an absolute tragedy, mind you it doesn't look overburdened with brains which wouldn't have helped :D

• User
    hace 8 años

Pronounced "doh doh"...maybe the predecessor for today's "DOH!"

• Shirley Baker
    hace 8 años
    Very dated colours. Reminds me of country style 20 years ago in New York . Nice at the time .
  • sandiocd
    hace 8 años
    Sorry, not for me, but then I have a red and plum color scheme for a Christmas tree.
    Love rich, deep colors ....
  • User
    hace 8 años

Sandi, they are also a trend coming in.

• silyab53
    hace 8 años

Where to begin......Of course these colours are reminiscent of years gone by, there aren't enough base colours NOT to have repeats.

Last week I pointed out my 2 pink triple kitchen lights, 30 years old, and declared to my friend 'you mark my words, these will be back in fashion next year, as will the white worktop tiles with their pink corners, also 30 years old, ex Laura Ashley', which she also loved. She has a Masters in fashion and textiles and loved them.

Don't I feel more than a tad smug! (and a little psychic???)

In a 'spare' bedroom I have the blue in soft furnishing, cushions - alongside my mad Cygnus Papillio ones, and, when I get round to making them, the curtains. I have an amazing photo of the terraces in Pamukkale. Turkey. The blue and white colour combination is breath taking, and oh so natural! Must get it framed.

My point is that WE should choose our colours, love them, embrace our own ability to combine colours in our homes, only being slightly influenced by images in magazines of what the designers deem to be the colours of the year.

Remember this - those same designers have NEVER grasped that we mere mortals can't afford to redecorate our homes every year, let alone seasonally, so be as subtle or bold as you like, as long as YOU love each and every colour and item you choose.

A Merry Christmas to all and Happy Tree/room decorating. Go for it!

• Gerry Rust
    hace 8 años

silayb53 Amen! I've said it before and I'll say it again - people are not as gullible as some might think. I've spent years discussing interiors with many, many customers and not one of them has ever said 'I'm going to paint my bedroom cerise because it's Pantone's colour of the year' :D We are all attracted to certain colours and if we see a beautiful interior using a combination of them, that perhaps we would not have thought of using, it may well inspire us. What is unlikely to happen is that you see a room decorated in colours you dislike and in a blinding moment of revelation discover that they would be perfect for your living room! At best it can encourage us to be bolder in our choices. Of course retailers, manufacturers and designers are going to come up with these marketing ploys, it's their job, but no one really expects vast swathes of the population to go out and buy a particular shade of paint just on their say so.....

• User
    hace 8 años

I think that both rose quartz and serenity will go beautifully with the Tardis Blue that all Houzzers should have by now. ;)

• Jenny
    hace 8 años

Lol. That goes without saying.

• User
    hace 8 años

@silayb and Gerry Rust... perfect points. I have preached (yes, preached) to my children, friends, clients, anyone who mentions decorating, that "designer" rooms lose their freshness and appeal quickly, if the person who lives there doesn't put their own personalities and beloved items in their own home.

The old, very long ago show, Trading Places, is a prime example of designers ignoring the home owners' desires and just creating some monstrosity just to prove it can be done. I don't remember the designer's name but there was one on that show that covered the walls of a home with small children in HAY, of all things! Nothing the neighbors who had traded places with the home owner said would stop her. Her arrogance was legend. The owners were horrified at the reveal.

All that to say, make your home your own. If you love the Rose Quartz and Serenity, by all means use it. If you don't, pick something else. We also have to remember that at least for Pantone, their colors are chosen not only for décor but for fashion as well. My bet is we will see much more of those colors on clothes than on walls. :)

• User
    hace 8 años

• Jenny
    hace 8 años

Whynottryit, that sounds true. Have noticed (now you mentioned it) most clothes designers have chosen pinks & blues in about 80% of their new Summer Collection.

• User
    hace 8 años

Now, Margo, we can't all express ourselves in one word sentences... ;)

• Gerry Rust
    hace 8 años

As a natural redhead (which is now dulling down to a dusty ginger as I get older ;) it will be a cold day in hell before I start wearing clothes in either of these shades.....

• User
    hace 8 años

LOL...@Gerry... But blondes and brunettes can carry them off. Maybe you prefer Marsala?

• User
    hace 8 años

With a little Guilford green around the edges;)

• User
    hace 8 años
    Chook after the rain! :)
  • Gerry Rust
    hace 8 años

I could probably get away with Marsala but I hate it! I like dusty pink but it doesn't like me :( I'm not familiar with Guilford green? but I'm going to say yes because I suit all shades of green (especially round the edges ;) Equally baffled as to why you would call me Blue? Must be another case of two nations divided by a common language :D

• User
    hace 8 años
    Some American redheads are "blue".
  • Gerry Rust
    hace 8 años

I don't know about redhead - I think he's wearing a guinea pig :D

• Gerry Rust
    hace 8 años

• User
    hace 8 años

• User
    hace 8 años

^^^^

• User
    hace 8 años

Must be a rash of flaggers, my link got flagged yesterday. Did you flag my link?

• User
    hace 8 años
  • User
    hace 8 años

• User
    hace 8 años
    Chook, I can open your link and I could open Margo's yesterday.
  • User
    hace 8 años

Did anyone find my sponges? NO not Sponge Bob...

• Michelle Dalby
    hace 8 años

Both easy to live with.

• silyab53
    hace 8 años

Thanks to all for the laugh out loud - literally - enjoyment in this latest banter. I do love this forum so much!

If anyone thinks they can't wear a particular colour take a look at Zandra Rhodes!!!

• PRO
    Tylko
    hace 8 años

We love them both! Especially on our Totem Mills. But for those of you have some doubts - we have 7 more colours of the year to choose from! ;)

• User
    hace 8 años

We love both!

• olbc
    hace 8 años

We love both!

• PRO
    Charlotte Frances London
    hace 8 años

Obsessed with rose and grey colour combo so my vote had to go to rose quartz!

• Susan Spittlehouse
    hace 8 años

Find them a bit sickly.

• PRO
    Occipinti
    hace 8 años

At first I wasn't keen. But paired with the right colours they make fabulous rooms! I especially love Rose Quartz with the stand out black here.

showhouse · Más información

• PRO
    Shearer Candles
    hace 7 años

We love them both! They compliment each other perfectly.

• PRO
    @ architect ltd
    hace 7 años

Both are very lovely light colours, GREAT for baby rooms!!

• PRO
    AOC Architecture LTD
    hace 7 años

Lovely colour!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.