karenkrei

Need help with kitchen remodel and attaching great room remodel

karenkrei
hace 11 años
northwest rustic riverside cabin/house: now full time retirement home kitchen remodel want to stay in somewhat rustic feel using some knotty type of wood but use the more modern sleek feel of not fussy cabinets. Not sure what floor should be ( tile or wood, cork or??) so as not to clash with a wood cabinet, not sure of counter top ( cement,quartz, some butcher bloc?). And what tile for back splash. Have a custom cabinet maker but not sure what to choose for the wood and color. I like the cabinets that have a plain front with the flat solid band around each door or end cap...more modern in sleek design. Also need help to decide what wood and finish to use on TV cabinet wall that is seen from the open kitchen to main room with new corner stone fireplace .. windows all across room to river view with. High slant ceiling will have wood in that great room.

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    hace 11 años
    For a rustic feel and durability, consider rustic (knotty) cherry or alder. With the right stain, hickory could be a good choice too. I love VG fir as Ironwood suggested but it is prone to bruising so if you are at all a whirling dervish in the kitchen, go for a wood species that is a bit more robust or ask the cabinet maker to put a hardener on the wood before sealing it. The cabinets in the photo are knotty alder in a shaker door style.
  • PRO
    Brooke Enos Interiors
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    As far as the flooring, wood is a good route to get the look and feel you are trying to achieve. I recommend going with a species that has nice variation so it blends with the cabinetry rather than competes with it. Acacia is a good example (see photo)
  • PRO
    Twisted Minds Custom Designs
    hace 11 años
    Ask your cabinet maker if he has access or a supplier you could get some reclaiimed lumber to build your cabinets out of. If you want rustic, this would be an excellent material to use, find the right one and it will have lots of character and usually a backstory of where it came from (i.e. an old barn, factory, pulled from bottom of lake, etc.) Would look great in the shaker style you are favoring. Use same material and have your cabinet maker build a custom entertainment center to match cabinetry. Will tie rooms together beautifully. Backsplash would look great with a stacked stone paired with concrete countertops. I admitally have a preference to concrete as I am a concrete artisan, but do recommend as they compliment rustic settings very well. I've included a link to a FAQ's page I created regarding concrete countertops, feel free to read to help you decide if you may like concrete counters. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask as I'd be glad to try and answer, or find a local concrete artisan and inquire into what they may have to offer for your project.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/concrete-countertops-faqs-by-twisted-minds-custom-designs-dsvw-vd~346684
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Hi karenkrei, Marie here.
    I would seriously consider hiring a professional to do up a master design scheme for you. You won't regret the investment. Especially since your wanting something more modern, but you want to ensure it reflects the character of your cottage, your lifestyle and your budget. There are so many variables, and, if you use too much reclaimed wood - it can look too industrial, which is a hot trend now, but won't be in 20 years from now.
    I prefer quartz countertops because you don't have any maintenance with them. If you don't mind the countertops aging and becoming "patina'd" then go to a marble or concrete.
    Again, for a large renovation I can't stress strongly enough to get a pro's help to do it right the first time - interview many, and go with your gut and hire the right person for the job! I'd be more than happy to help if that is something your interested in. Good luck to you - I've attached some of my favorite modern rustic cabins...
  • PRO
    RELIABLE CONSTRUCTION LLC
    hace 7 años

Where located in MN, We do a lot of natural stone back splashes in Kichen remodels with cambria counter tops.

• PRO
    AFT Construction
    hace 7 años

You should take a look at our profile. We have some recently finished projects that might fit your design. It can give you some great ideas for cabinetry, tile, flooring, backsplashes, etc. Hopefully that helps

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.