Houzz Logo Print
zvezdast

Cracked silicone in shower corner

Just couple of months after installation, there are cracks in the silicone caulk in the corners of our shower where tile meets tile. I say caulk, because that's what's on the surface, but I know they installed grout underneath. <sigh> I am pretty sure that's why there are cracks.

They are sending someone to repair it. I would like to know what is the proper way to repair those cracks? Should I have them scrape everything from the corner first? And then apply caulk only?

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Pure silicone is generally not very flexible. A sanded siliconized latex caulk will give the appearance of grout, but have some flexibility to expand and contract with the changes in temperature. They should have used it the first time, but at least they are coming back, right? If you liked the looks of the original job and the cracks which bothered you disappear, that is all you can ask. Ask them to leave the rest of the tube with you when they finish. You will need to address the caulk about once annually. It is just one of the joys of home ownership. Good luck!

• hace 8 años

They used siliconized acrylic sanded caulk (Color Fast Industries) that they color-matched with Ardex grout. They left the tube with leftover caulk with me.

So, should I ask them to remove the caulk and grout from the corner before re-applying? I just want to find out what is the proper way to fix it. Thanks.

• hace 8 años
    After installing hundreds of showers, we determined that pure silicone, to match the grout, is the best. Siliconized latex and sanded caulk will fail quickly, and fail often. The installers do have to completely rake out the existing caulk and any grout, in the inside corners. Then re caulk. Be sure the shower is completely dry before and after the job is done.
    Tile contractor
  • PRO
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

In addition to it being totally clean and dry before they start, you won't be able to use it for at least 24 hours after they come to make the repair.

zvezdana stojakovic agradeció a Capital Builders, LLC
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.