Houzz Logo Print
sherrie_ohhh

modernize country kitchen cabinets cosmetically?

Sherrie ohh
hace 8 años

lovely kitchen, but not our style. we are more contemporary. what can we cheaply do to make them look more modern?backsplash and granite are staying.

Comentarios (6)

• rose246
    hace 8 años

I recently updated a kitchen on a buget:

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/50735858/thumbs/tired-kitchen-update-on-a-budget

You have a beautiful starting point: beautiful granite, lovely sink and faucet, great appliances and floor. You can modernize your basic lines by ditching the curtain and getting rid of the wavy line on the one cabinet over the sink. The kitchen has good bones but the cabinets are not integrating with the upgrades you have made so far.

Use a good primer sealer like Valspar stain blocking primer sealer then use a very good cabinet paint. I would use black for the cabinets but many colors would work as well. That is a personal decision. Replace cabinet hardware with something like a nickle brushed steel. I cut down on price by going on line and finding discounted hardware on overstock.com.

You could also add pendant lights over an area if there is one that needs extra lighting. I can't tell in your picture if any area needs more. Choose a window treatment that is more contemporary. You already have a lot of good lines to build upon.

I hope you post your results as this kitchen is on it's way to being stunning!

• MarleneM
    hace 8 años

I feel if you paint cabinets they will still look traditional. I agree with removing wood valance and window curtain. Also the corner doors with glass could be modernized, and I suggest glass doors without muntin bars, but on the cabinets on either side of sink, like in photo below. It would open up the space a lot. Changing out the faucets to modern style would help also, and I can't tell what cabinets knobs are. Replace any accessories that aren't modern, like the wood paper towel holder, utensil holder.

Bamboo Kitchen · Más información

• summery
    hace 8 años
    Ooh, those are hickory cabinets, and I'd love to have them! It is such a pretty wood, with great character. But in your kitchen, the overall effect of all those browns is a bit too, well, brown, I agree with you there. Bland.

I agree with the others, therefore: remove the curved valance, update the knobs, and maybe cover up the backsplash tiles with, I dunno, some of that stick-on faux-tin panel, or beadboard painted a livelier contrasting colour, or something?
  • PRO
    Ozark Concealment Furniture
    hace 8 años

The cabinets could be refaced with veneer and new doors and drawer-fronts installed fairly cheaply depending on how much of the work you could do yourself. Most of the time my customers go for no hardware with finger-pulls routed in the doors and drawer-fronts. As mentioned above painting is always an option too. You've received some great suggestions so far. Hope you're able to use some that will please you.

• cuteteach32
    hace 6 años

I would take your kitchen anyday:) It's beautiful. To be budget friendly, you could replace the sink faucets with ones that are more modern. I would also paint the wood trim around the window and window sill an off white, vanilla, or white color to blend in with the backsplash, and remove the lace curtain. Get rid of the wooden paper towel dispenser by the window and replace with brushed nickel one. Have someone saw off the curved wood over the window and make it straight across, parallel with the top of the window. Get rid of anything that looks country on the countertops like the flowers in the corner, the ceramic utensil holders, the wooden cheese board, plants on window sill, etc. Things look more modern when cleared and clean, though your kitchen is very clean already:)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.