Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Stains in Gerber toilet

msmeow
hace 8 años

Hi, all - I'm hoping someone here has some sage advice for me. :)

We have a 4-year old Gerber toilet in our master bath. We also have a water treatment system that is supposed to be taking everything out of the water except the water (it's supposed to remove lime, rust, etc. in addition to softening the water).

The toiled has gray streaks down the sides where the water comes in; it also has a gray ring around it at water level.

I've been cleaning it with Lysol toilet cleaner and a brush. I've tried a number of things on the gray ring - Magic Eraser, a scrubber sponge, a razor blade (this worked once a few months ago but isn't working now), bleach, but none of those have worked.

We don't have any stains or rings in the other toilet, which is an American Standard.

Any ideas on how to remove these stains?

Thank you!

Donna

Comentarios (9)

• Errant_gw
    hace 8 años

Have you tried a pumice stone?

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    hace 8 años

Have you tried the magical vinegar + blue Dawn dish soap cleaner? It changed my life for tub/sink and now I use it on my countertops and pretty much anything. Less caustic than a lot of cleaners and it's pretty amazing stuff. Equal parts vinegar and dawn in a spray bottle. I heat the vinegar for 45 seconds in the microwave first. You can Google for additional instructions and reviews. It's worth a try.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    hace 8 años

The other thought that occurs to me is that you take a picture of the stains and email that to the company. Ask them what they recommend as a cleaning product. Be sure to let them know that your other toilets do not have the same results so they don't try to blame it on your water.

• msmeow
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you, popmama! I'll try contacting Gerber before I try any other cleaners.

Donna

• homepro01
    hace 8 años

Was the toilet installed as part of a bathroom remodel? Did you confirm that the water lines are hooked up to the water treatment system you have? Just another item to look at if you don't get assistance from the manufacturer. How are the sinks in the master bathroom? Do you have staining in those too? I have no particular advise about the cleaning except that you may have damaged the finish with the pumice stone and magic eraser because this is a hard abrasive. This may make it harder to keep clean in the future

Good luck!

• sandyboot
    hace 3 años

I have the exact same problem with my Gerber toilets. Never had this before with other toilets. This started immediately after new house was built. My guess is that it is either poor quality porcelain finish or that the extremely weak and low water flush does not remove all the waste bacteria efficiently. 18 month old house and I am ready to replace all my builder installed toilets and buy Kohler.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    hace 3 años

I have the Gerber "Avalanche" for about five years now. I dump a cup of bleach in it about twice a month and, when I get the stains, a pumice stone is the only thing that works....

• ceilsan32
    hace 3 años

@Sandyboot-before you purchase Kohler, review the issue of stains from other readers. Toto Drake II has had no problems with staining, due to its flush system. Toto does warn that using bleach can invalidate the warranty. Pouring 1/4 cup of 20 Mule team Borax in the bowl, swishing with toilet brush and letting set a few hours or overnight works very well on Kohler to erase stains.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.