Houzz Logo Print
suzannenok

Upstairs facelift with wood cross beams

Suzanne Ortiz
hace 8 años

We
We recently purchased a home built in the 80s. We love the space in the home, but parts of it certainly feel dated. The previous owner had done some really nice updates, but they aren't necessarily to my taste. The large living/game room area upstairs has criss-cross stained wood trim. It doesn't seem to serve a purpose, and I think it would be easier to change color and update if it were torn out, although the walls would need to be re-textured, I'm sure. Thoughts? Also, upstairs bar area was a new feature, and it's a little country for my taste with the cow hide and the rough pine (I think) beams as well as the Americana puzzle wood wall. It's a really neat looking area, just not really my style. Restaining the cabinets seems to make sense, but what would be a good way to transform the more rustic, distressed wood without completely tearing out and replacing it? Thanks for your advice.

Comentarios (9)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    Can you just remove the little Dustin island and maybe get a mobile island on wheels for the space
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    Or it looks like your island has two sides, remove the rustic side facing the room and add wainscoting to the backpack of the other cabinet
  • Suzanne Ortiz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Great suggestion. Thank you.

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 8 años

What is your taste? Ultra modern? Transitional? What would you like this to look like? You are fortunate that your floor is a nice neutral gray tile, which I'd keep. Your granite counters are a lovely modern granite. Keep those as is. I'm not sure if I like or dislike the multicolored wooden wall. You also appear to have quality cabinets. But the wall and cabinets together are a bit much for me as well. It's difficult to tell how much work would be involved removing the wood from the wall. There's also a very odd finishing around your window. You have some wall there too. I'd opt for spending money removing that wood wall. Either keep it textured drywall, or consider putting glass subway tiles (my favorite) in a cool tone to blend with the grays. Cover the entire wall and your backsplash. It appears that the wood planks are put on top of drywall, so at worst you could remove the wood and replace with tile.

Looks like your rustic island can be easily fixed by adding drywall and or wainscoting if that is to your taste. Personally I'd opt for drywall to keep things less busy. I'd remove the criss cross stained wood, but keep it around the doors/windows and as baseboards. Paint the wall a fresh cool color to contrast the color of the wood. It will make your room feel modern, yet inviting and warm.

• Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

Make sure when you get ready to paint all those beams and panels that the seams are all CAULKED or it will look 'undone' and uneven. You want one smooth seamless expanse of trim and wall. Have a contrator frame in the bar conventionally and sheet rock it. Then paint.

• Suzanne Ortiz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Barbara, I would say my taste tends toward transitional. I really like your suggestions. Thank you!
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    Transitional is going to call for removal of the island as it is too rustic and will be more than just some drywall as it has rustic beams holding the granite,I'm certain it could be dry walled but tearing it out and building a new one will be easier than trying to modify those rustic beams into drywall, and yes the wall tiles will have to go to
  • PRO
    Hemmeline Designs
    hace 8 años

Barbara's suggestion to remove the decorative wood trim while keeping the trim around the windows and doors is an excellent idea. I think it would be much easier to patch or redo the texture than to caulk and paint the trim. Also getting the right texture in a room is more important and less expensive than you may think. Texture unifies a room and can give it the right vibe. If the trim is bugging you I suggest you consider getting rid of it. It might not be as difficult as you imagine.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.