Houzz Logo Print
jhoannac

Need ideas for this new built in entertainment center

jhoannac
hace 11 años
We are moving into a new home. This is what the new entertainment center looks like. It's built in. I don't know what to put on the two tall spaces on each side of where the TV's going to be. A big china vase is what comes to mind. Are there any other choices? Also, the TV spot seems to tall. What do I do with the awkward free space on top?

Comentarios (51)

• Keitha
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Here are a few sconce and candlestick ideas for those narrow vertical shelves. Will you be installing doors on the lower portion to house electronics?
  • connie5400
    hace 11 años
    HOW ABOUT SOME GLASS SHELVES IN THOSE AREAS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE TV AREA
  • PRO
    Trouble Free Electric
    hace 11 años
    Glass shelves is a great idea! If a Houzz high five existed, you'd get one. But if you don't like the glass shelves idea, you could always find tall and skinny art pieces to go in there. Whatever you decide, I would recommend a dimmer switch for the lights if one doesn't already exist.
  • rendah
    hace 11 años
    I would suggest a nice wooden statue on both side. Something simple yet makes a statement.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I think I'd like a twisted branch tree on each side. Simple, stately and grand. In beautiful urn pots. Maybe manzanita trees. They are lovely. Maybe a shelf and doors for the lower side cabinets. Doors also for equipment.

TV niche is beautiful without anything else. Not every space or wall has to be covered or filled with something.
    Accessories · Más información
  • PRO
    The Creative Man
    hace 11 años
    Hi, I'd like to know what your furniture style is? With out knowing, I would first add color to the entertainment center, whether all of the structure or just on the back wall. Glass shelving is the way to go. Maybe raise the bracket of the TV, depending on the size of TV, this way you can put accessories below it.
  • PRO
    Miller's Paint & Wallpaper
    hace 11 años
    The glass shelves are a great idea! It would allow you to add smaller details to the side of the TV and still keep the area soft looking. If you leave the shelves the way they are that of course would just be a different look. I don't know your style but I would consider a sculpture of some kind that has height in one and I would go a long with your vase idea in the other...make sure you have a vase with height & if not you need something in the vase to give it that height. Once your TV goes in there it will be fine.
  • Andrew Roussey
    hace 11 años
    I also was thinking plants, but was going the "bamboo" route. Tall, thin, pretty.
  • rkwhite007
    hace 11 años
    Speakers for surround sound system.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    Look on Etsy.com and Ebay for some cool glass art. It will add a tone of light and color.
  • omaopa
    hace 11 años
    I definitely love the idea of adding some glass shelving! You can then add some interesting favorites in the way of art, books, treasures from your travels. The neat thing about that is that you can change it around whenever you want! I really think it will look nice when it's completed!
  • PRO
    Liza Jane Interiors
    hace 11 años
    I would add an interesting door front to the two large cubies underneath. I would add glass shelving and place some beautiful art glass. I have attached photo for your reference.
  • PRO
    House of Fine Carpentry- CABIFY Cabinetry
    hace 11 años
    I would suggest glass shelves for the upper portion. You could always add some trim to the face to dress it up a bit and maybe some crown moulding.
  • mariasusanadiaz
    hace 11 años
    I would go with branch tree on each side, and a white paint only in the inside. For cubies underneath i put some doors and you could hide the equipment.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    Hi, add shelves (wood) and fill with books. The books can be a random mix like a traditional library,or wrapped in a paper like rice paper, wallpaper, or plain brown. You might mix a few framed photos too. Leave the space above the TV as is. Then in the two larger openings at the bottom try some galvanized aluminum containers and fill with some birch branches and limbs. The center opening is fitted for components so have glass doors (bronze tinted) installed. You could also used pierced doors.
    PS I'm not in favor of glass shelves for your niches becuase they become dust collectors and stale looking.
  • basque64
    hace 11 años
    I would add glass shelves and a mirror at the bottom of the shelves to reflect the light with “des jolies petits objets d’arts” on the shelves.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 11 años
    I would have sleek doors made for the entire bottom section, park some tall vases, or something sculptural and narrow in the lit upper openings left and right,and leave the wall space above the tv ALONE. Keep it simple. The exposed area below looks like an afterthought to the upper section, and is an invitation to black tech clutter and dust and baskets, and bibelots, and books and more visual clutter. and was a design faux pas. Close it off is the simplest answer.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    Love the glass shelves! Brilliant!
  • pimms1967
    hace 11 años
    Great built-in space! Several people have come up with same ideas as me, but I'll mention anyway. I like the idea of interesting glass or other material sculptures in the narrow alcoves. Perhaps also paint (or wallpaper) the interior back walls of the whole unit a complimentary color that gives it a little pop and depth. The tv will be determined by the size, otherwise I wouldn't move it any higher, you need proper eye-view level so as not to hurt your neck, leave top gap empty. Depending on your budget, you can buy mirror covers for TV screen so when not in use, it's a mirror. I did also think of books in the narrow alcoves, laid on their side and stacked in an interesting color pattern or something like that. The lower cubby holes you could get nice baskets for extra storage of items (kids or pet toys, magazines), or create these spaces as a wine rack if you drink wine. I agree that the shelves would look nice, but dust magnet as are fake floral arrangements.

Here's some ideas on doing the back wall a different color or wallpaper:
    http://www.sasinteriors.net/2012/02/how-to-achieve-a-well-styled-bookcase/

You might also do Google search on "decorating ideas for built in shelves". Then, I always like to look under Google Search and the Images options, I often get different results.
  • PRO
    Egoist Design
    hace 11 años
    I would not add anything heavy to this composition. Glass shelves are great, but they would tempt you to place objects onto them and I would not suggest it. I would add a bit of interest with painting this built-in different shades of similar colors. Maybe add wallpaper to the back of those niches and finish it up with some wall scones or simple glass pieces... The glass shelves could go to the bottom niches. I would also not forget the two flat side walls. Some art work would be great to balance the whole picture. Once again, do not forget to keep in mind those parts of the space that are not visible to us on this picture. The idea is that it all has to work together and have nice flow.
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I would add something with colour, a china vase would be nice but I would fill it with greenery or flowers of some sort to brighten the space up a bit. Another idea would be to do a art installation. The lights above would highlight the art piece giving it a gallery feel. Instead of adding anything below or above the TV I would paint out that area in a complementing darker colour.
  • PRO
    Crown Audio Video Inc.
    hace 11 años
    www.crownaudiovideoinc.com
  • heather2436
    hace 11 años
    I would do glass shevles with mirror behind for reflection.
  • nstrong
    hace 11 años
    Depending on you style furniture....you could paint the inside back wall of the insets by the TV a deep color (black/red/blue)and use a tall vase with branches that have been spray painted white to give it contrast..
  • marshallglam
    hace 11 años
    You could do glass shelves if you have a nice variety of "collectibles" OR you could use 2 tall pieces (maybe to create whimsy--I think everyone should have at least 1 piece of whimsy in a room). I would also seriously consider doors on all or a portion of the lower shelves.

Your choice--do you like to dust or not? I had an entire wall of built-ins around my fireplace in my former house and it was full of "stuff"--I lived on the water so I had beautiful shells, water colors, family pix, etc. When I moved, less is now more! Good luck.
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    I also like the idea of glass shelves, but I wouldn't mind adding doors to al the cabinet fronts so you could store dvds and things you want to tuck away. I like monochromatic looks, and I think the built ins would definitely look good as "cabinets"
    Regarding the tv just hangning there in space, I'd go ahead and hang it and finish all your decorating then decide if you need to add anything. You don't want too many places your eyes can wander when you're watching TV.
    And depending on your furniture style, you could do something matching on each of the side walls; either narrow hall tables with lamps, or maybe iron wall hangings.
    Chrysteen
  • PRO
    Louis Pardoe
    hace 11 años
    a custom drapery valance would look nice...
  • PRO
    Jayne E O'Toole
    hace 11 años
    I would put doors across lower front and bring out the 2 side walls about half way to the front with drywall and install wonderful wall lighting on dimmers.
  • joannpb
    hace 11 años
    My 2 cents - Any doors you put over your components will have to be opened each time you use them, because the remotes don't see through most things - glass is the exception.

If it were for me, I'd remove the shelves from the center, bottom and put in an electric fireplace, then move the component shelves to the bottom sides.

I once saw similar alcoves to your upper ones used to display a huge candle in a big holder on each side. The candles were as big around as my arm and about 30" long. They looked spectacular.
  • chriowmn
    hace 11 años
    I would put two matching tall vases, with dried florals in them. or they have beautiful cast iron designed candle sconces, or scrolled work art. Or word art, on each side, put a saying that will go down the side. All these things I have seen at places, Like homegoods, TJ max, Marshalls, Ross and stores such as that.
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    hace 11 años
    I love the wall and think the space above the tv is fine. I think a pair of tall pieces like the one below in the long narrow spaces and some woven baskets in the large cubicles with componenets and lateral travel books in the center below the tv would be fun but it all depends on your funiture and any rug you may put there. You want the accessories to compliment the mood you create. I love the clean lines and think simple would look best.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    hace 11 años
    I wouldn't put glass shelves......for one thing you'll have to dust frequently and you'll just be adding stuff to fill them up. You already have enough shelves at the bottom....it would be overkill. A tall, colourful orchid on one side and stacked books on the other (no shelves). The books will add colour to the room. Nothing above the tv.....I think you'll find that it will fill in the space nicely.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 11 años
    I agree no glass shelves. Cleaning and collecting issues in the future.
  • Gina Hayden
    hace 11 años
    I would paint the recessed areas a dark shade that matches with the middle marbled area to give it some depth. Then add sconces to the tall skinny area that flank the tv. This will create a richer feel. Then on the bottom put some books and interesting items in the glass door area and on the sides of that also dark paint with some interesting items or the glass shelves as many suggest
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 11 años
    You do not need to OPEN the doors to use any of your components...... all you need is an IR repeater. Technology will allow all accessory tech to be totally hidden and easily "accessed" with a remote. But you DON'T NEED to stare at black, dusty "boxes" ............under your tv
  • Douglas Beard
    hace 11 años
    I'd tear out everything down below and install an elongated fireplace insert. Place the television a little higher on the wall and install a piece of granite on top -- creating a counter and mantle -- and then as other Houzzers have suggested, install glass shelves on either side and store booze and stemware and turn it into a true "entertainment center," and follow Jan's idea -- upgrade and get rid of clutter.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    So sorry but I have to comment.....................moving the TV screen higher may give you a stiff neck.
    Jus' sayin'...................
  • Douglas Beard
    hace 11 años
    Lol. Valid point, although I'm 6'6" Not fair of me to assume these clients were. Just saying what I would do.
  • PRO
    Pyramid Design Group Architects
    hace 11 años
    I would remove it, and install a custom made furniture unit. The furniture unit can be designed with open glass shelves and lighting above for decorative objects and closed cabinet sections for storage. I would have doors in front of the tv. I would have it built out of wood in a style that will work with the rest of the room furniture and furnishings.
    PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 11 años
    Okay... here's the deal. It is always tempting to make a simple thing complicated and begin over designing. So you look at this thing and say.... what's wrong here?First, picture the tv mounted. It has a visual weight. That's the reason some sleek doors below in an espresso tone would look great. Warmth... a counterpoint to the tile? backdrop of the tv. Now, buy something for the niches... doesn't have to be expensive. Could be iron sculpture, vases.. whatever. Keep it clean and crisp. You're done.
    No tschotchkies, dust, clutter.........less is generally far MORE.
  • PRO
    rick shaffer
    hace 11 años
    Textured drywall cubbies and shelving; probably one of the worst ideas introduced in the 90's. I would suggest installing plywood boxes with face frames and a little trim and perhaps glass shelving above with puck lights.
  • PRO
    Sara Bederman Design
    hace 11 años
    Depending on the width of these niches, you could have custom inset shelving made to frame the inside of the shelving area. If you cant afford to lose the width, have some nice wood shelves made with a built up edge to balance the large scale of the cabinetry.
  • PRO
    rick shaffer
    hace 11 años
    The width of these niches include 1" of gypsum board !/2" around the perimeter which can be removed easily. The plywood boxes and shelves and back panels can be installed with a minimal loss of space ,1/4 inch at most. The benefits of losing the unsightly dust collecting sheetrock, far out-weigh the loss of 1/4 inch of space.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 11 años
    Put lucite doors on them and use them to store your rifles. Ha ha
  • ashtonchic
    hace 10 años
    Doors on the bottom for sure, tall blue and white china vases, no flowers in the niches.
  • mfwolfe
    hace 10 años
    The original poster never commented. I think we can let this one go.
  • Jessie Harrison
    hace 7 años

I love this entertainment center, I never thought about building one into the house. I've been trying to find one to put into the house. Now that I think about it I have plenty of space to put one in my living room. It looks like I'll be doing some remodeling. http://reddspacegroup.com/services.html 

• Markos Wiebe
    hace 3 años

Get shelves and place movies or books in there. Thats what I would do.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 3 años

Markos this post is 7 years old

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.