Houzz Logo Print
maicabre

Our FIRST home :) kitchen&dining brainstorming

maicabre
hace 8 años
Hi everyone! I'd like to start by thanking this community for how helpful you have all been in the past!

We will be moving into our first home in just a few weeks, so we are starting to plan furniture, upgrades, themes, etc. I wanted to see if anyone would like to chime in with your creative ideas for decorating our small kitchen and dining area. These pics are from the showing so any furniture is not ours.

I like having wall paint color but not the existing one for the kitchen... Initial thought is that I should just change it to white to match the cabinets to make it look less cramped. Maybe add glass/plexiglass Windows to at least one cabinet (we can "diy" quite a few things). Any thoughts on that or alternative ideas?

Also I love the arch but we need to find a way to make that area more private/quiet (it will be my in laws office to work from home) so if anybody has solutions for that I'd appreciate it. I'd even be willing to put large, arch shaped windowed doors in there if that's possible.

As far as our tastes go, we love steam punk/industrial decor, but at the same time loving rustic cozy looks as well as use of patterns(I've got a few tapestries) and rich bright colors. I'm open to any suggestions for maximizing our new space, though!

Thank you all for any input!

Comentarios (8)

• maicabre
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Not much difference in angles but here are more photos if they will help.
  • mramsey
    hace 8 años

Congrats on the new house! Good bones to work with..

The blue paint has got to go- I would choose a warm neutral through all the connected spaces with perhaps white to match the cabinets on the bulkhead above them. Use your art, hangings etc to bring in colour and style with a few steam punk accessories/lighting fixtures quirky bits to make it your own. Maybe in the future the bulkheads can be removed or camouflaged.

The arch is very cool- we had one similar to this in a very draft space and hung a heavy insulated curtain up. You could use this until/if you get doors to fit the space. If you hang it on the office side, you will still have the arch effect and whatever fabric you choose can add some individuality to the space

If you have kids, I wouldn't put a rug under the table, if no kids and the adults are civilized, a good sized rug could be another place for colour and style.

When I see most "before" posts on Houzz, I would say there seems to be a general fear of art, too many little fiddly bits of furniture and knick knacks, and more conformity than I would expect. Go big with art, colour and rugs! Go spare and bold with the accessories. Whatever your style you can always change things later. have fun!

• houssaon
    hace 8 años

I think your idea of painting the kitchen white is a good one. Use a matte finish, which is washable and doesn't reflect light or show imperfections. The ceiling light in the kitchen looks a bit weird. Does it have the right bulbs? You might want to replace it.

You could use a padded screen to shield the office space. Here are two examples, one is like a pair of bi-fold doors, from Houzz:

Coral Gables, Florida Home · Más información

San Francisco Residence · Más información

You could also hand curtains on a rod to cover the opening.

• Jolene
    hace 8 años
    If you are buying a new refrigerator go counter depth it will open up the kitchen. We have one and it made a big difference.
  • maicabre
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for your suggestions so far!

That photo of the arch door is beautiful. Dad in law is a contractor and almost anything is possible thanks to him. I'll see what he thinks.
  • maicabre
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Mramsey- thanks for the great advice! I will definitely keep that in mind when decorating, hadn't thought of it that way.
    Choosing to paint only the bulkheads/soffits white would also solve a potential issue of whether the entire wall leading into the dining room would have to be white.
    May I ask if there are any particular paint colors you (or anyone else) had in mind to lead me in the white direction? I guess we could always change the floor as well if it doesn't work out, too.
  • maicabre
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I agree the kitchen light fixture is a little weird. They're almost cool, but look slightly like food heating lamps haha.

Changing the fridge isn't an option right now bc it is only a few months old. But that's a great point in the future to choose a fridge that is as close to flush with the counters as possible.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.