Houzz Logo Print
moofakka

Trying to cover bases before buying design

Heather Durham
hace 8 años

Ok, we are trying to decide on a home design. We have purchase of land underway(6.57 acres) - perc test to be done today. We originally had a decision between this house and another. Now, we are trying to make sure that we have thought of any and all possible changes that we might need/want to make before we purchase the plans. We have no children, but do have two large dogs - we are early 40's and hope for this to be our "forever" home.

One decision we are grappling with is placement of the fireplace. Our last home had the TV above the fireplace and we hated it. We are trying to decide if it is best to place it in the corner or in the middle of the outside wall. I hate to lose part of the view out the back windows, but can't honestly say that I've ever seen a corner fireplace that I liked. This will be our main TV watching spot and we are TV junkies to a fault, so need it to be comfy.

Another change we are considering is taking the bathroom for Bedroom #2 and having the entry from the hall to be shared between Bed #2 and Bed #3. We would then utilize the area of Bed #3 closet and bathroom as a true mud room with outside entry and doggy door. This would allow us to have the dogs "quarantined" to an area in case it was muddy outside and they were dirty, etc. and also have a raised dog washing station so we don't kill our backs every time we give them baths.

The last small change is the powder room - the entry is very odd to me and there is wasted space. I would like to change the entry to the main hall and then use the wasted space as a small e-space with a counter for a desk.

Is there anything we maybe haven't thought of or have suggestions/concerns for any of the above changes or something we've missed? Thanks so much!

Comentarios (38)

• cpartist
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

My guess is people are going to ask you why you need a two level forever home with so many bedrooms and so much square footage. Additionally that kitchen is unworkable. Do you have that many guests at one time? The house has a lot of bumps and angles which will make it much more expensive to build for really no real gain. I am sure others will chime in with some things that need to be thought about before I get a chance to, but I need to get going to work right now. Big doesn't always equate with good design. :)

Heather Durham agradeció a cpartist
  • Heather Durham
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the input guys. While we do not have children, DH works from home every day and I work from home several days a month. Since this plan does not have a specified Study we will be using one of the bedrooms for that space. We do have nieces and nephews that will be coming to visit especially during the summer months since we have a boat and are close to a lake. We will need somewhere to put our gym equipment - treadmill, etc. We also were thinking of possible resell value in case this ends up NOT being our forever home after all(hoping not, but trying to be prepared anyway).

We definitely wanted the open floor plan and we came to the same conclusion as NightOwl, that it really spreads out the footprint and you get more SqFt as a result.

• bpath
    hace 8 años

It's such a pretty house! I imagine you have lovely views on your lot to take advantage of the deck. Will you be able to get down to the yard from there? Otherwise it's a long walk to the stairs down to the rec level. If you plan to use the bedroom for a doggie apartment, will they have a door to the outside there? If not, You might be able to reconfigure that whole area so they can use the service door in front.

For the fireplace, could you just have that wall be half fireplace and half tv wall? The fireplace doesn't have to be all the way in the corner, just scooted over. Then adjust the ceiling treatment accordingly.

you mention wasted space for the powder room. I think there is wasted space in several spots, not that there is anything wrong with that, it can be like white space on a printed page. But here's the thing for the powder room: if this is your forever house, plan for a time when your mobility is diminished. Even at 50 or 60 you will feel fine, but it's all downhill from there lol. So for the powder room, consider extending the wall all the way across and have the door in the hall. This gives you more room to maneuver IN the bathroom, possibly room for a helper if it comes to that, and have storage for any needs that might arise later.

The same thing with the pantry. The double doors will be bothersome. Do you have to use two hands to open the door if one is covered with flour? What if later you are using a cane in one hand and are putting back the flour with the other? and the fridge is a trek from the prep area! You might post the kitchen over in Kitchens for their take.

Heather Durham agradeció a bpath
  • Heather Durham
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Great points on the pantry doors being possible hazards, lol - Thanks NightOwl and BPatHome! We were actually playing with the idea of a door through the back as well to help unloading groceries as we enter from the garage side, so we wouldn't have to trek around to the front. Also wondering about storing our chest freezer in there or the laundry. I would love to do NightOwl's suggestion and leave it open for a show piece, but I honestly know I would not want to keep it in such pristine order :)

We would not be doing the basement and the grade of the site we are planning is hopefully flat enough that we would only need a few steps at most to get down to ground level. We were planning on adding an outside entry door to the "new" mudroom. I did wrestle a moment with the fridge placement as well - wondering if I should trade it's placement with the ovens further down. Still haven't fully decided on that one yet.

• jdez
    hace 8 años

Maybe just a single swinging door for the pantry. It would at least be good when your hands were full.

• bpath
    hace 8 años

Definitely post in Kitchens, they are so good at this.

About the foyer and closets...I see two closets that might be for guests, but they are not near the door. Do you live in a climate where guests might arrive in the rain or snow or a 55 degree chill? Can you move a closet closer?

As your guests arrive, they could see your bedroom if the door is ajar. Does that bother you?

My parents' garage-to-.kitchen path is like yours. It's good exercise. You might want to see if you can smooth it out and shorten it. Can you redesign that whole back area called the Friends' entrance, so that your friends don't have to walk past the dogs and laundry to have a cup of coffee with you? I have an idea, but...can the stairs be moved?

• chisue
    hace 8 años

You need to decide if you are building for *now* or *forever*. This is not a forever home. It's too big, and it has stairs. (Cleaning, Taxes, Heat and Cooling)

Have you thought about taking your wishes to an architect who will design YOUR house instead of buying a stock plan?

• Heather Durham
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I'll definitely post the kitchen over on their board for their input. We live in Georgia and I honestly don't ever remember having to hang coats from guests - we might have 2 weeks of unbearable cold if that. Since we don't have children we are typically the ones traveling at the holidays, so it might just be that we don't have many guests at those times of year. As a matter of fact, after several years at our last house we actually converted our entry hall closet to our media/component closet to hide all the unsightly equipment.

I do see what you mean about the friends/family walking past the dogs and laundry to get to the main area - I'm not sure that it actually bothers me, but will certainly want to talk with DH to see what he thinks.

• Heather Durham
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

chisue - we haven't really given a lot of weight to getting a truly "custom" home designed. I'm not sure we really have a feel for knowing what we want that much - just know what we do/don't like when we see it. I guess we always thought it would cost too much to go that route - from talking with friends it seemed to cost 2x as much to get a truly custom design.

• User
    hace 8 años

"This is not a forever home. It's too big, and it has stairs. (Cleaning, Taxes, Heat and Cooling)" You may be projecting here and I disagree. Other than stairs to the mechanical room, every bit of life can happen on the main level. When OP and SO are along in their years, they would hire someone to take care of the mechanical room stuff either way. Doubtful someone who can't walk stairs is going to be messing with a water heater or furnace...

As for cleaning, taxes, heating, and cooling -- Not our business unless the OP asks a cleaning or financing question.

• mrspete
    hace 8 años

I like the idea of scooping out a bit of the ample master closet for a coat closet ... or perhaps just an alcove that can hold a hall table or console. Even if you don't need space for coats, that long, plain wall could use some something.

The dining room isn't far-far away from the kitchen, but neither is is particularly convenient. Setting a meal on that table is more steps from the kitchen than I'd care to take.

The breakfast room is conveniently located, but with TWO doors cutting into the space, I don't know how well it'll work. You'll always be scootching by the table and chairs to reach the doors. I think I'd move one door over to the great room and remove enough of the cabinets to give you a single door to the grilling porch -- or move the grilling space over to the main patio. I don't think of grilling as a solitary endeavor anyway, but I can't think of anything else you could do with that triangular patio.

I don't like the kitchen layout. The triangular main work area will mean extra steps for ... everything. As someone said above, bigger isn't better: Right sized and well-planned is better. I'd look into making the pantry a triangle (a hidden triangle?) and make the kitchen a galley with the island forming one of the sides.

Great idea about opening the pantry on both ends. So many steps saved by bringing groceries straight in from the garage.

I DO like corner fireplaces, but I don't think this is the right space for one: Corner fireplaces are more of a "cozy" thing, and this house doesn't say "cozy" to me at all. However, I don't think you really have a problem here: I'd just bump the fireplace 2-3 feet towards the back doors -- the fireplace doesn't have to be centered. This'd give you space for a BIG TV next to the fireplace.

When I saw the bathroom on the floorplan, I thought, "Eh" ... but when I saw the photograph down below, I thought, "Oversized, cold, sterile -- ick." Perhaps if it were built with a different tile I'd like it better.

I'd consider cutting down the master bedroom. A WIDE master makes sense: It'll give you comfortable space on each side of the bed. But a DEEP bedroom just gives you empty space at the foot of the bed. Since you're a self-proclaimed "TV junkie", I'm betting you're planning a TV at the foot of the bed -- with this set-up, it'll be about 16' from where you're lying.

One last thought on the master suite: I like the above-mentioned idea of putting a washer/dryer into the master closet. So convenient.

The other bedrooms will work well as offices: They're very private /away from the noise of the TV and kitchen.

I think your plans on making a dedicated dog space make sense. If you crate your dogs, I'd consider built-in crates under a countertop.

So you're not building the basement? That makes the house look much more reasonable for two people. Removing the stairs will also add significant space to your casual entrance area.

I would remove the friends' entrance. Who's the other entrance for? Enemies and the UPS man? You put effort into a lovely, gracious foyer -- arrange your parking and door so people'll use it (instead of walking past your laundry and the dogs' space). Plus two doors towards the front are confusing.

What're those black triangles in the mudroom area? If they're just closed-off space -- SAY NO! Insist upon those spaces becoming triangular bookshelves /curio shelves /even small cabinets for dog gear near the powder room and/or a deeper closet on the other side. You're going to pay for that space -- make it work for you!

Heather Durham agradeció a mrspete
  • Heather Durham
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

All great comments mrspete! thanks so much! I owe NightOwl a hug or two ;)

• User
    hace 8 años

Seeing that you have gobs of space upon which to build, why did you choose this angled garage plan? If it were me, I would want to square it up and get rid of all the wonky angles that the garage creates. Have you looked at garages tucked behind the house?

• cpartist
    hace 8 años

Ah now that makes sense that you're not building the basement. The house as a one story is great for a couple. I agree you need to post the kitchen in the kitchen forum. It really is a huge space that will be hard to work in. I think Mrspete gave you some excellent advice.

Now having said that, you might also want to talk to an architect. Not all architects are 2 or 3x the price. And a good architect will help you flesh out what it is you need and want in a house. They'll fit the house for you instead of you trying to fit into an already designed house.

• switchback
    hace 8 años

What part of Georgia do you live in? The architect of this plan is in GA and I watched this home being built. He is a very nice guy and can make any change to this plan. I know this plan very well. He also just finished our plan as we are going to build in GA too.

Heather Durham agradeció a switchback
  • PRO
    DK Designs, Inc
    hace 8 años

I am the architect and owner of the plan. You can contact me at 770-460-9495 and visit my web site www.dkplans.com to see that plan and other plans .

David

Heather Durham agradeció a DK Designs, Inc
  • switchback
    hace 8 años

Heather, I contacted David and he just posted all his info. Thanks and good luck.

• User
    hace 8 años

Since part of the house is at an angle to the rest of the house, there must be a transition from one to the other somewhere in the plan. I would put that transition in the back support spaces rather than in the kitchen where it creates too great a distance between work spaces.

I don't want to start an argument or offend anyone but the designer of this house does not appear to be an architect even though he has used that professional title on this forum.

I agree with cpartist; for a house of this scope and the owner's customization issues, I would recommend hiring a local architect.

• cpartist
    hace 8 años

Interesting JDS. I just went to the website and this is what it says about David Kent. Nothing about him being a licensed architect.

"I created DK Designs, Inc. after having design opportunities with Atlanta Dental Supply Company, Architectural Services and John Wieland Homes. It was the experience that I gained from those three companies that allowed me to create my own design firm in 1989.
    Since its time of establishment, DK Designs, Inc. has offered custom home planning, renovation services and developed a stock plan portfolio, which has been published in numerous magazine and Internet publications.

DK Designs, Inc. has been presented with several awards throughout its years of business. For example, our plans have been recognized by the Professionalism Awards for Design Innovation. Also, I was recently chosen to be the feature designer for the cover of Design America magazine. One of my plans was featured in the magazine as well and it has become a great seller for the publication.

I am a Certified Professional Building Designer and a member of the American Institute of Building Design, Georgia Society. I have held the position of President, Vice President and National Director for the Georgia Society of AIBD. I have also held the position of Eastern District Director for the National AIBD."

And more interesting, when you go to his page called Services, there is this:

"Custom Home DesignSchedule an appointment to visit our office and consult with our leading designers to create the home plan of your dreams."

Not once on his site is the word architect mentioned. I am not a professional, but I've never heard of any of the magazines mentioned or the associations. Maybe the professionals on this site could chime in and let us know if they know of these magazines and/or organizations?

I personally would be leery.

• millworkman
    hace 8 años

Maybe he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

• bpath
    hace 8 años

But he just said he was the architect and owner of the plan, just a few posts up.

• User
    hace 8 años

I suspect that comment will be edited, not that anyone cares much about the unauthorized use of professional titles other than those who have earned them.

But in spite of training, anyone can design a common, uninteresting house. In my experience, design excellence only occurs when a skilled designer works face to face with an owner.

There are a lot of good ideas to be found on the internet but it takes real skill to put them together for a specific owner. To me the pre-designed internet houses are awkward juxtaposed commonplace design elements of various styles the result of which lacks originality and personality. To create those qualities requires interaction and collaboration between a designer and an owner. It's can be more expensive it is usually well worth it.

I've thought of designing a bunch of houses and selling them on the internet but I can't get very far into that task before the absence of collaboration with a client brings me to a halt.

• chisue
    hace 8 años

Sorry, I missed that you are not building the basement. Good call

If I am 'projecting' it's because I am a Senior who is happy with the forever home we planned 14 years ago, and I would not be happy with too many parts of this plan. This forum continually illustrates that most people can't imagine how different their needs will be *as Seniors*. It's just human nature. I could not have realized it when I was 60. (I'm glad we got the house built then. I don't want to be *bothered* today!)

A forever home can be perfect for people in their forties and for later. (Few homes can be perfect for growing families and for later.) I stand by my arguments about not paying to build, heat, cool, decorate, maintain or clean spaces that don't earn their keep -- much less pay taxes on them. As has been said, this isn't about 'how big', but how well the house works. This one needs refining -- for a couple in their forties with dogs and visiting relatives -- and for them as Seniors, after the nieces and nephews are in college.

I like the angled garage -- have one myself. It's a 'welcoming arm', not a structure competing with the house in the size of its front facade.

I don't like the proportion of house devoted to Foyer -- especially if you don't entertain a lot. I don't care for 'furniture store display room' dining rooms, set off by just a column. (These are common in senior housing where mama refuses to let go of her 1960's dining suite.)

I'd like more Family Foyer space -- I call mine the Back Hall. I want space for storage, a slop sink, dog-wash space, cleaning supplies, etc. The half bath in our back hall is the most used 'facility' in the house, with access from kitchen, garage, back yard.

So far nobody posting likes the kitchen. (I don't like an interior kitchen.) I'd want a larger family eating area.

The MBR is too big. Those are some whopper closets, too. I prefer a MBA at the end of a progression of bedroom, closets, bath -- because the MBA can have more windows, and because I access my closet more often than my bathroom.

This is a good 'jumping off place', *towards* designing a personalized home. Try 'living' in the plan for a while. You'll see what does and doesn't work for your daily life.

Edited to add that having *some* basement...just for mechanicals and storage is a good idea. I'm asthmatic; don't do well sleeping 'close to the soil' on a slab or crawl.

• ILoveRed
    hace 8 años

if nothing else this house is pretty. I can see the appeal.

One other comment. I live in an area in Illinois where a house of this price range would be expected to have a basement. It would not sell (re-sell) for the expected price without a basement. Anyone who could afford to purchase this home would expect a basement. Even if unfinished, I would put in a basement in this house. Especially in your area, Atlanta where homes are a dime a dozen.

early forties..you are young. plan but don't count on it being your forever house. Things may change and often do.

• Heather Durham
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Sorry, i didn't get a chance to get on here yesterday. I opted for the angled garage because it aesthetically appealed to me more so than the side entry option that they have. I wanted to love the outside of the home just as much as the inside and we are willing to pay for the extra bumpouts that it causes. I grew up in Georgia and the land we will be building on is located in Madison(just south of Athens). I would love to be able to walk through this finished home - I'm just not creative enough to be able to view a 2D layout on paper and effectively visualize how it will be once it's completed(main reason I am here on Houzz, lol). After more thought and talking with DH, and great input from this site, we are considering altering the overall layout and somewhat shrinking down the rooms as well as making many changes that have been suggested. I really appreciate everyone's input and take no offense from anyone - it makes me think of things I may not have considered or may have just been in "denial" over. :) BTW - I did post in the Kitchens as well and have gotten feedback on the specifics of the kitchen there, so thanks so much for that!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 8 años

JDS is correct in that the individual and his firm are "building designers" and not licensed architects. The title "architect" and the services/practice of architecture is usually regulated by state law. The title "building designer" or "designer" may be regulated by law in some states. Building designers or designers are generally allowed to design simple buildings and structures of low occupancy and risk. AIBD is the voluntary organization for building designers. The individual mis-spoke when he said he was an "architect", unless he is licensed to practice architecture in one or more states. I'm sure he will correct his statement.

• cpartist
    hace 8 años

I'm sure he will correct his statement.

Or he'll let it stand thinking most people won't read through the whole thread. After all, why would he have even made a statement like that if he's not licensed? Something doesn't smell right.

• User
    hace 8 años

The guy said he was the architect of the house, not an architect. Fine
    distinction; however, his statement could be grammatically correct.
    Perhaps one could say that and not be a state licensed architect. I
    don't know if I am correct and I do know I would not do business with
    someone playing with words like that if he is not a licensed architect.

• mrspete
    hace 8 años

What NightOwl says is true: I just wrote a college recommendation for a student. I can truthfully say that I'm the architect of that document. I can also say that I policed my class as they returned their laptop computers to the cart. Neither statement is dishonest, yet I'm neither an architect or a police officer.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 8 años

Most U.S. states have laws (acts) which govern the use of the term "architect" and/or the practice of architecture. States which have "title acts" protect the term "architect" which may not be used in any way by anyone who is not a licensed architect in that state. States which have "practice acts" not only protect the term "architect", but also prohibit anyone from offering or performing architectural practice except those licensed to practice architecture in that state. We don't know where the individual resides and has his business, but chances are that his state has either a title act or a practice act. That said, some state acts exempt certain building types and sizes from their architectural act such as single family residences and agricultural buildings, allowing these to be designed by anyone. The situation is the same for physicians, lawyers, pharmacists, accountants, etc.--no one may hold themselves out to the public as being one of these professionals unless they are licensed to do so in a given state. Using the term "architect" (or doctor, attorney at law, etc) is not about grammar or common usage, it's about what's legally correct and what's not, concerning the state law designed to protect the public health, safety and welfare. This is really not a major issue in this thread by the OP, but we might as well get the proper and correct information on the table. Mrs. Pete may be a gifted writer and author, but she is not an architect!

• User
    hace 8 años

Here's how the use of "architect" is treated:

The "practice of architecture" is restricted to licensed architects by the laws of all states with some variation in the definition of that practice.

The use of the professional title Architect or any phrase derived from it (architectural design, the architect of, etc) in relation to building design and/or the offer to provide services described as "architectural" constitutes the "practice of architecture" so it is forbidden no matter what the scope or nature of the building project might be.

The reason for this restriction is that the use of a professional title by an individual is considered by states to be evidence of a higher professional "capacity" whether deserved or not. Illegal use is therefore considered intentional fraud although punishment is usually a fine rather than prosecution for fraud. But it would be wise to not get caught in CT.

• mrspete
    hace 8 años

Thing is, you can't own a word. Yes, you can prosecute a person who tacks Architect after his name AS A TITLE on a formal document, but if the word is used in causal conversation -- as is discussed above -- you don't actually have a leg upon which to stand, and anyone who's using it in this "skirting the line" way knows exactly what he's doing, but you aren't going to be able to prosecute him.

This is a frequent issue with "engineer" because people see it as a generic term kind of meaning "technical person". My husband has an engineering degree from a university. He is an actual engineer. However, during college I had a part-time clerical job in a construction company's front office, and they termed all their draftsmen "Drafting engineers". All of them were skilled draftsmen and knew plumbing (which is what they were drafting), but none of them had an actual degree. In the 70s housewives called themselves "Domestic engineers".

We teachers see it too. I have a degree and a license from the state; I design curriculum in accordance with the state course of study, deliver instruction, track student progress -- everything an actual teacher does. Yet day care staff who have only a high school diploma and who do nothing more than hand out coloring pages are often termed "preschool teachers"; while their supervisors probably do have degrees and are overseeing curriculum, most of them are not teachers at all.

Likely it's "a thing" in other arenas of which I'm unaware. Used officially as a title, yeah, see 'ya in court, Buddy. Note that JDS' official term even specified "title". Used in casual conversation ... eh, no; you'll not succeed.

• cpartist
    hace 8 años

Thing is, you can't own a word

Actually that is not true either. For example the word Realtor. Only a licensed RE agent who is a member of the national RE board (I forgot the exact name) is allowed to use the term Realtor and they must do so with the registered trademark, because the word itself is trademarked.

However I agree with you about casual conversation, but this was written on an open forum. Doing so is considered more than casual conversation.

• dazey1050
    hace 8 años

To be most correct, he should have said he designed the house. Home design in Georgia does not require an architect. I don't think the state would come after anyone for using the term in the context here, but if he reguarly used it as a title it would be a problem. Note that on his website, he clearly does not claim to be an architect, but is a certified designer.

• chisue
    hace 8 años

One can have a degree in Architecture without being a licensed Architect, yes?

(Maybe we'd like to 'return to the program' now -- if the OP is still reading?)

Heather Durham agradeció a chisue
  • User
    hace 8 años

I tried to make it clear that what is illegal is the use of words that would mislead a consumer about the capacity of a person making an offer to design a building.

(interrupted by air plane flight)

It is specious to suggest that those restrictions would apply to fields or contexts other than the design and construction of buildings.

Anyone can be the architect of an idea or system but in the US only a registered architect can be the architect of a building.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 8 años

JDS and Dazey1050 are correct. A degree in architecture does not make one an architect. To become and use the term architect one must fully comply with the laws of a given state and their title or practice act for architecture. Generally speaking, to be licensed as an architect requires: 1) a professional degree in architecture (not architecture studies); 2) a minimum term of practical experience under the direct supervision of a licensed architect (typically 3 years minimum); 3) successful completion of the written and design architectural examination administered by the state in question; and, sometimes 4) successful completion of a verbal interview after completion of the architectural examination. Without successful completion of the state's requirements one may not legally call themselves an architect nor offer/provide architectural services. Mrspete misses the point that this issue did not come up in a casual and non-specific conversation, but rather in the sense that an individual claimed publically to be what he may not be as a means of advancing his business and personal interests. I agree that this is getting out of proportion, but that's because there's lots of erroneous information being put forward by folks who don't know their state law on the subject.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.