Houzz Logo Print
ffionfrancis

Ugly UPVC windows

Ffion Francis
hace 8 años
Hi Houzzers, we are currently undergoing a complete renovation of our 1930s terraced house. 2 problems: 1. we have upvc windows 2. they are a horrible brown wood-effect colour! In an ideal world we would re-instate the original style wooden windows however we just don't have the budget for this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done to make these less of an eyesore? Would really like to end up with a beautiful house inside and out :)

Comentarios (16)

• Jonathan
    hace 8 años
    I agree with the first comment.
    If you could change the glass in the lower panes for plain glass then this would be a big improvement.
    Ffion Francis agradeció a Jonathan
  • maria galvano
    hace 8 años
    I actually like the colour of the frames but agree plan glass on lower panes and repaint the red bit a soft colour like a moss green on trend colour love the bay design and frontage of your smart home
    Ffion Francis agradeció a maria galvano
  • PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    hace 8 años

Can you afford new uPVC windows in white? If so I'd definitely consider this. You can get flush sashes [frames don't stick out] and dummy sashes so there are equal sight lines. This would look like the original timber windows at a fraction of the price. If feasible get certified Secured by Design windows with ultra high energy efficiency double glazed units.

with the tiled panel between the windows I personally wouldn't paint it as it'll need to be repainted every few years and will soon look dated. If you can afford it totally replace the tiles with new ones that match the roof tiles. Make sure you add in a breather membrane on the outside of the timber studs + insulation + a vapour barrier to the inside of the timber studs.

Hope it goes well.

Ffion Francis agradeció a Ikonografik Design
  • Ffion Francis
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Replacing the glass panes could definitely be an option and we have already thought about potentially painting the tiles - one of the neighbours have painted a grey colour and looks much nicer.

@ikonografik had not even considered replacing with white upvc as it just seems that if we are going to fork out for new windows it seems silly to replace with upvc which we don't even like! Do you have any kind of idea how much the flush sash would cost? I did however see some upvc windows at grand designs yesterday which looked much nicer and closer to wood effect than the bog standard upvc although these would be more costly (approx. 40% more than standard upvc). We have also looked into potentially paying to get them spray painted white which I believe would cost in the region of £2k.

We are also planning on replacing the door with a traditional style wooden one which in itself is very costly so I am also worried that it will look silly having a nice wooden door with upvc windows!

• PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    hace 8 años

Will come back with some images and links in a bit, Eurocell Modus spring to mind

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hello Ffion,
    Please don't replace with White UPVC they are absolutely horrible. You are very lucky they are as nice as they are. So my suggestion is to paint with a primer like zinsser or another brand that will adhere to plastic and then paint a colour like charcoal, not too black.. If you were considering to replace the windows then definitely don't go down the upvc route. They devalue properties... but the good thing is that yours are nicer than most! I don't even mind the window panes too much as I think you will make gr8 strides just by painting the brown plastic..

Of course... this applies to the front door too... as you can do the same... Think a charcoal here too would be lovely... 2 nice square slate looking planters with something lovely either side of the door would be rather nice too.. Will you keep the little "porch" ? Could be nice without it... I like the brick too and would leave that alone.. :))

• Jonathan
    hace 8 años
    Quick note that UPVC does not automatically devalue houses. In residential areas they are part of the typical streetscape and therefore do not stand out as a poor choice- indeed they add much needed insulation to many houses that were built without any.
    Sash windows may not sit well with this '30s style architecture.
    I think painting your tiles on the bay will look much crisper- you could also render it.
    Replacing your front door will help personalise your house but I agreed with AJ that you could save the money now and paint it- this does not exclude the possibility of replacing it later but likely the £2k saved now can be put to good use.
  • PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    hace 8 años

Just in case of any misunderstanding re. my previous post I wasn't recommending vertical sliding sash windows but standard side hinged.

A sash is the collective term used to describe the glazed construction of any window. Most windows are side hinged so they are hinged opening sash windows. Vertical sliding sash windows open by sliding up and down. Central pivot are hinged in the middle so rotate inside to out. Fixed sashes don't open.

I may do a future article on windows, explanatory terms, construction, glazed units, associated ironmongery etc. if this hasn't already been done on Houzz...

• PRO
    Coastal Group
    hace 8 años

This would be good. It's a very common misunderstanding @Ikonografik Keep in touch :)

• Ffion Francis
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks everyone. Thought I'd share some images of other houses on the same street. I think that painting white would make a big difference as would painting the tiles grey or similar.

The other issue is that we need to make our minds up in the next couple of days really as we are having new windows put in the back (new bathroom in loft extension) and so would be silly to not try to match whatever it is we end up doing to windows at the front of the house!
  • headers13
    hace 8 años

The white & grey look nice.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Ffion,

The grey tiles are rather nice and if you went down the charcoal matt route for windows this would be rather nice... Add some green plants and nice square slate style metal planters and the whole thing will be lovely I think.. The colour looks like a creamy chalky off white... I think this would be lovely with charcoal and grey. Pure white is rather cold, so look for a creamy white... : ))

• taniaglen
    hace 8 años
    Hi, I wouldn't paint the tiles black with the brown Windows, try matching it with the brickwork under the windows as they tone with the windows, paint the house a creamy colour and the woodwork near the roof the same as the tiles.
  • PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.