Houzz Logo Print
lucyhillier83

Renovating 1970s uk semi

Lucy Hillier
hace 8 años
Hi so we got our first house last week... Loads of work needs to be done...rewire/combi boiler/windows and doors and we found a flood in there 3days before completion!

We have knocked through the wall in kitchen to create a kitchen diner while we are waiting for it to dry out...

We are putting down laminate flooring throughout the whole downstairs and wanted to go for a light greyish oak to make rooms feel bigger. (Only two rooms kitchen/diner and loving room)

The floorboards we found in house were dark brown looked lovely but rotten from flood.

Now I'm freaking out because I'm worried this grey floor will look random with this victorian fireplace in the front room...(another issue get rid or keep) my husband wants a 55inch TV hanging above it :-|

Please help! I have two boys 3 and 2 who are terrors and want my house child friendly as pos
Thank u x

Comentarios (26)

• Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Kitchen diner
  • Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Want this flooring I think
    We are gona paint whole house white for now
  • Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    So not sure if we should get rid of fireplace and go for this...we have a tight budget tho

Our fireplace in old house (brown wallpaper ) has same dimensions for chimney Brest u can see our TV is massive and hubby insists on having it there on new house
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

In the first pic they have beefed up the chimney to suit the TV size - I suggest you do the same - otherwise it looks daft... big tv's need a big space ! You could add in concealed storage in the new void at the sides - accessed from the sides ... Men and their tv's !!! Make sure your sofas aren't too low or you'll get neck ache !!! Love the grey floor suggestion !

• G Arnold
    hace 8 años
    Sounds like a fun (but challenging) project... Some opinions from me:

1. I like the style/colour of the laminate and dont think the colour is an issue... But i do think the laminate itself is, in my experience it always looks a bit plasticky... Thats what will cause an issue with the period features. Could your budget stretch to an engineered wood floor? I think that would make a big difference... But it does mean more maintenance and may not be great with the little-uns.
    2. Dont rip out the fireplace... Its part of the houses character.
    3. Dont fit a 55 inch tv in the room... Too big. Plus dont put it above the fireplace, it looks rubbish and isn't practical (a tv should be at eye level when you sit... Not when you stand up). Hopefully you can convince your other half... Personally I had to sacrifice the big TV dream... Glad I did. (On this the tv over the fireplace could work if you get one that mimics a mirror when switched off)

Anyway, just my thoughts re: your house and your dilema.

Cheers
  • G Arnold
    hace 8 años
    Ps. Just realised that you say its a 1970s property in your title? In that case forget what i said about the fireplace and keeping it :)
  • Jonathan
    hace 8 años
    Congratulations on the new home.
    Personally I think the fireplace is nice- I like the grey boards but agree that an engineered wood will look better if your budget will stretch.
    I like wall mounted TVs but think it would be better in the alcove at eye level ( perhaps get a bracket that moves outwards and can angle towards the sofa but fold flat against the wall when not in use).
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Lucy,

An exciting project! You could have grey painted floorboards... They look fantastic... Like the wood you have chosen though and you can get grey grain so you get both ideas.. What about thinking of warm chalky whites... Whitening by Little Greene is lovely for ceilings and walls... you could then add some colour where you like... Chimney breast is good to bring out the fireplace which you must keep! Any chance of a pic of it? For advice there...

I never suggest a tv over a fireplace as the fireplace is the focal point of the room and so the tv is not what you want everyone to be looking at..... Possibly think of where else you could have it.. Or hide it... I do hate to see a huge tv in living rooms.. Mind you.. : ) ) I have not had one for 10 years so.. I just feel that living rooms should celebrate the architecture of the space and the idea of conversation... interaction...

If I could.. I'd have a pull down canvas from the ceiling and a projector... : ) )

• minnie101
    hace 8 años

Hi. I think the flooring ( if that's the same one shown in the whole room) will look good with the fireplace, especially with the width of the plank. I've got laminate in my basement and love it. Sometimes it can look plasticky but yours in the pic looks good, plus you don't just need to consider the cost of the floor but also laying it so it does work out far more expensive. The fireplace suits the room, I don't know how at odds it is with the exterior of the house though but it seems a shame to rip out a good fire. It does also depend on your design style though. I would also put the tv in an alcove. Consider painting the alcoves in a charcoal or inky blue to disguise the tv. I'd remove the shelves the other side and have a console or cabinet and pop a mirror over the fire.

• Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I want a rustic but modern feel love real oak for shelving and mantle piece. Defo goin with laminate... Fireplace and TV big dilemma seriously husband won't budge and I did suggest putting it in alcove. Really like fireplace but is not in keeping with house
    Thanks for all your comments btw
  • minnie101
    hace 8 años

I remember you posting on the exterior of the house now. I think I would have it removed professionally, hopefully you can make some money selling it. Will you put a woodburner in? Perhaps look out for a secondhand one? I'm also not keen on prominent tvs tbh but other than spending all that money to create a feature in your fire as Gary said it really is not comfortable to watch a tv from that position! What is the issue with the tv being in the alcove as your hubby still gets his big tv and a comfy viewing spot?!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Lucy,

Oh yes! Lovely and wrong... Do as Minnie said and sell it. Then use the opening to either open more and definitely a wood burning stove.. or have a plain opening and iron basket.. :))

• PRO
    UK Oak Doors
    hace 8 años

Hi Lucy,

It definitely has a lot of potential and whilst you've had issues, at least it provides the opportunity to really make it your own. I love the flooring finish you have picked out, very soft and understated.

In terms of doors, do you have any thoughts? A classic Victorian 4 panel would suit the style you're going for perfectly and a glazed version would be a great way to keep it bright and open.

Feel free to browse our site and drop us a message if you require any help.

Richard

• Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Right fireplace is out of budget now... Totted up estimates last night.... So maybe just paint chimney breast grey? What do u think?
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hello Lucy,

Yes by all means! Have you contacted 3 companies and looked at procuring a wood burning stove from Ebay or a reclaimed materials company.. There are two I recommend.. 1 called Solopark outside Cambridge in Pampisford.... and the other is Lassco in Oxford and London. You may be able to negotiate a swap. Ultimately do what you feel is best for you.. ... : ))

• Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I have zero cash to do anything to this now apart from paint...will have to leave it and do it as another project in a few years I guess...gutted as my boys are terrors and can see them cracking their heads on the hearth! Will get it valued tho I hope
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Hello Lucy,

It can wait till you're ready... ... I am sure the boys will be fine and out and about in the gdn! .. : ))

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 8 años

I think a simpler fireplace would look nicer but I would put my foot down about the TV. I just can't understand how a huge TV can ever work above a fireplace. Don't back down!

• Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    No budging ATM he still insists on TV above fireplace
  • headers13
    hace 8 años

I would sell the fireplace as does not go in a 1970's house & use the money for a modern one. I like your flooring. No to the tv above fireplace, a tv should not be a focal point but could end in divorce !!!!!! Sorry joke !

• Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Paint....Urban obsession on left and night fever on right ... Surely I cud get away with this for a year or so? Took pictures of fireplace to a demolition yard ...he couldn't give me a proper estimate of what he would give me for it...u know what they are like!!! He said take it out and we will discuss ffs ! It's £450 to take out and render wall I don't have this money all our cash is goin on 'must haves' like rewire. Boiler, windows, kitchen... (crying face)

Have no idea who could come and give me a proper valuation... I'm in Surrey near Croydon, CR6
  • Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Paint....Urban obsession on left and night fever on right ... Surely I cud get away with this for a year or so? Took pictures of fireplace to a demolition yard ...he couldn't give me a proper estimate of what he would give me for it...u know what they are like!!! He said take it out and we will discuss ffs ! It's £450 to take out and render wall I don't have this money all our cash is goin on 'must haves' like rewire. Boiler, windows, kitchen... (crying face)

Have no idea who could come and give me a proper valuation... I'm in Surrey near Croydon, CR6
  • Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    It's in mint condition apart from split hearth
  • Lucy Hillier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Our living room nearly complete!
    Kitchen diner done!
  • Nathan G
    hace 8 años
    Brilliant transformation. Really like your colour choice and love the armchair. Where did you get that from?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.