Houzz Logo Print
deb_hamiltoncarstens

Kitchen Re-do help!

We are getting ready to makeover our kitchen. I need help with the cabinets. I am thinking about doing white on the uppers and dark on the base. Dark like the color of the hutch you see to the right in the photo. Or, my husband thinks just all dark. We are planning on a white quartz countertop and backsplash is to be determined. New floor too, but I'm not worried about that yet. Your thoughts?

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
    hace 8 años

I personally like that look and have been doing many of them resently. In addition I'd really look into redoing the lighting as it seems a bit dark

Naturally Luminous - In Scotts Valley · Más información

Twice As Nice - In Santa Cruz · Más información

Naturally Luminous - In Scotts Valley · Más información

• Lisa DiPaola
    hace 8 años
    Seems the kitchen is small. I would do all white but the island a contrasting color.
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    hace 8 años
    The kitchen has some design challenges that I would work on before you even get to color and material choices. You should remove the soffits and hide any plumbing and ductwork behind crown molding that reaches the ceiling and try and find a layout that gets your cooktop off the small island. This could be a tough redesign but the cost of the added construction to make your kitchen better designed can be offset entirely by simply getting a simpler cabinet door style or a less expensive finish. Or switching to a granite top from a quartzite. That's why we stress working on the design first since moving appliances and changing the layout can completely change the other choices you will make and the money you have available to use for them.
    Great design changes are also usually only obvious to experienced kitchen designers but most designers have their design time incorporated into the cost of the cabinetry so help needn't cost you anything.
  • leelee
    hace 8 años

Your kitchen will look like a cave with all dark cabinets.

Are you planning to keep the pass-thru? If you closed it in you could add shelves and get the microwave off the counter--along with other stuff to make the kitchen look more organized and spacious.

Are you re-doing the counters and backsplash? Floors?

• leelee
    hace 8 años

If you're painting cabinets is a great time to change out the hinges to hidden hinges. You should really consider this esp. if you were thinking about just painting old hinges. They'll chip and get dirty and never look right.

• Deb Hamilton Carstens
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    We are changing the backsplash and the floor. So, the hinges are a good call too. We are re-locating the micro, coffee pot, etc. to a pantry on the opposite wall. I appreciate all the suggestions. We are taking them all to heart.
  • PRO
    DH Design
    hace 8 años

The light on top dark on bottom is a nice solution and I would also suggest the island be dark on the bottom with the light countertop you have chosen or it could look as if it is a white floating cloud. Might consider a simple white subway tile backsplash to compliment your other finishes. I would also consider updating the hutch by painting the interior a color you are using in an adjoining space or somewhere in your home. Rmove one of the barstools so the island looks less crowded and also extend the island countertop out during your remodel to allow more eating and leg space. I would eliminate the hanging shelf in the opening for an unobstructed view and if budget allows maybe new pendants over the island and possibly over the sink. New hardware and an updated window treatment will finish the look. Have fun!

• PRO
    Bartel Kitchen and Bath
    hace 8 años

I think if you want to do white maybe you should do the island in white and all the other cabinets in dark. This would break up the color and make for a very up to date Kitchen.

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

I like your idea for color better than Bartel. Stay as light as possible. install under cabinet LED lighting on a dimmer switch too. Good lighting is key. Good luck with the changes.

• astillmak
    hace 8 años

I think you are totally on the right track knowing what you like...so have you used Houzz.com and put all of things you like in a folder? I'm not a designer (not even close!) but I knew what I liked and kept putting them in my 'kitchen' folder and it helped me figure out what I truly wanted to do b/c all of the kitchens ended up being similar. Seriously consider getting the hidden hinges as well, especially if you go white cabinets. Have fun!!

• diyher
    hace 8 años

here are some that I saved http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/21673970

• PRO
    Buchanan Kitchen and Bath
    hace 8 años

I like a combination of painted cabinets and dark stain....I agree with one of the above designers about making a functional floor plan priority!

• PRO
    Kurmak Builders
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

My biggest suggestion is you envision and draw out the kitchen layout you would want if there were no obstacles - renovations cost time, frustration and money - but they cost even more time, frustration and money when you put "lipstick on a pig" as they (not so eloquently) say. Meaning... just changing the cabinets isn't going to give you the kitchen you want, addressing problems you face while using your kitchen and eliminating them is going to give you the desired outcome.

Maybe you love your kitchen just the way it is. But would you want a wall oven if you could have it? Would you want the cooktop off of the island if you could? Would you take out cabinets? Would you make the cabinets reach the ceiling for more storage if you could? These are all very important questions to ask yourself, because if you're going through the hassle of renovating, you may as well grant your wish list at the same time.

The leg work to assess the design of your kitchen needs to be addressed before any selections are made on the colours. Renovations need planning, planning, and more planning before any other step. Determine your budget. Determine your ideal layout. The more planning you do initially, the less stressful the process will be for you and will help keep you on budget.

I'm also slightly biased, but a good general contractor will make this task much less daunting for you and will have all the right questions to guide you through the process. Let us know what you decide!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.