wendyvigeant

Take out a fireplace? Or reface it?

My room off the kitchen leaves me stumped. I want a fresh contemporary look. I'm at a loss right now. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Comentarios (17)

• reneemurphy105
    hace 8 años

Reface the fireplace with a stacked stone. Add a rug. Can you get rid of the ceiling fan? If not, switch it out for a different type, something sleek and modern.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a reneemurphy105
  • PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    hace 8 años
    I love the fireplace! I would purchase a white or cream shag area rug, add pillows and a large piece of artwork. Look for a huge piece of art work!
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a Ellen Kryger Interiors
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 8 años

Definitely reface it. Maybe stacked stone? Or even a faux marble (Caesarstone and Cambria both make excellent quartz versions!)

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a Studio M Interior Design
  • drdeb1234
    hace 8 años
    I also think the fireplace looks pretty great! The only problem I see is that the stuff around it is reading as clutter. Work on that a bit, and work on decorating the rest of your room (a shag rug sounds good). After that I think you can take your time deciding if you want to make any expensive changes to the fireplace.
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a drdeb1234
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 8 años

Keep the fireplace. Reface it. An assymmetical mantel with an additional offset floating shelf above it would add interest. An area rug would make a big difference as well.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a Jillian - Interior design student
  • wsea
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Love the space. I'd recommends centering the coffee table on the fireplace. Pull the couch up to 18inchesvaway from the table. Place a chair at an angle between the fireplace and tv console. Add a rug large enough to place the couch and chair legs on. If possible art over the firebox and some pillows to tie it in. Aldo the art over the couch doesn't fit that space well , size wise. Can you add something more horizontal?

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a wsea
  • ritting28
    hace 8 años
    I think your fireplace looks good. You just need to do more accessorizing. The stacked stone idea, while very attractive, seems to me that it may be a trend.
    I would put a large framed mirror, painting, or poster above the fireplace. Also, consider adding a thick, straight wood slab for a mantle that will tie into the wood of your coffee table.
    I also think that rotating your coffee table 90 degrees so the long way is parallel to the fireplace wall would look good. Have your sofa face your fireplace and put a comfy chair on each end of the coffee table. Bring in some color and texture with the chairs.
    A large area rug with some colors you want to bring into the room would be great. Have it be large enough to put at least the front legs of all the furniture pieces sitting on it. Then get a throw and some pillows to go with it.
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a ritting28
  • ritting28
    hace 8 años
    Looking agin, I see you have an entertainment center on one wall, so leave the sofa and coffee table where they are. Sorry. I still think you need to accessorize the room.
  • ritting28
    hace 8 años
    Would you consider window treatments? Maybe a curtain panel on each window hanging on the sides away from the fireplace, or Roman shades. You have a lot of really nice pieces in the room already.
  • Pajarito
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

For a fresh modern look, I would buy a large abstract horizontal painting for over the couch in your favorite colors. Your couch is neutral, add some color with pillows and designs. I would recommend an off white style shag rug for the floor. I would remove all the decorative objects from off the fireplace and keep it clean and sleek. The TV cabinet does not work for a modern look. If you can buy something which is more horizontal in style rather than upright and bulky, you can tie it in with your coffee table. Try to find a TV console to compliment your coffee table style. Simple white roman shades for the windows on each side of the fireplace or reverse roller shades. Since this is an open floor plan, I would replace the kitchen bar stools in something more modern to tie in the rooms together, maybe French metal bar stools with a gunmetal finish. Replace the ceiling fan with a new nickle finish to tie in with the arc floor lamp. I think you can make the room look more modern without spending a lot of money to reface the fireplace. The size and shape off the fireplace works with your design idea. It's simple and clean.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a Pajarito
  • PRO
    Thomas A
    hace 8 años

I wouldn't touch the fireplace. It could work for a contemporary look. The tile floor may be something to update - or as some have suggested - try a contemporary area. Rug

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a Thomas A
  • charleee
    hace 8 años

I think you have duplicate posts going on here, I commented on the other one.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a charleee
  • PRO
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you so much for these suggestions- I really appreciate all of them. I look forward to implementing them and repost the "after" for you all to see. I then can move onto the next project of my kitchen.

• pdk920
    hace 8 años

It isn't my style, but I think your fireplace is very handsome. I'd change other things (you have many suggestions) before altering it.

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a pdk920
  • PRO
    MA Peterson Design Build, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Definitely reface it. Fireplaces are huge with resale of your home. Taking it out, in our opinion, would be a great loss. There is a lot of potential with the room! Good luck!

Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a MA Peterson Design Build, Inc.
  • ycity
    hace 8 años
    Duplicate post. But definitely don't take it out! Put your effort elsewhere (furniture, rugs, etc).
    Wendy Vigeant | Artist agradeció a ycity
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.