anina99

Fireplace mantel styling help needed

anina99
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

We moved into our Modern Prairie style home in April and I've been wracking my brain over this mantel ever since. As you can see there really isn't a lot of room for "stuff" on the mantel and the fireplace itself is HUGE! I hate clutter and my style tends to be a little eclectic.

The mantel is 70" wide and the little piece of "wall" above it only 17" high.

Any help and suggestions appreciated!

(Please ignore the electronics clutter to the left of the fireplace. We're waiting for new doors.)

Comentarios (104)

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Found this. I think a pop of color may look nice in this corner. What do you think?

Orange Fabric Contemporary Living Room Arm Chair With Wood Legs · Más información

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

Do you have all the furniture you will have in this room now except for the possible corner chair? The reason I ask, is that I think this piece will be your least important piece and should be selected last after you get all the other pieces selected, if that is still what you need to do. If you are at selecting a corner chair, then perhaps new postings of the room should be done just to remind everyone of your color pallet without having to do a lot of scrolling back to past post. Glad to see you are back:)

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ted, I don't. We're getting a new coffee table - actually hubby is thinking about making one, which could take a while...

I'm also getting my two Louis-ish chairs that'll go under the window reupholstered and will have to get a table and lamp for that.

And, of course, doors on the TV cabinet.

You're right, I probably shouldn't be buying a chair right now. Just trying to come up with a plan. :o/

I have a lot of teal/turquoise in the house. That's the color I'm trying to carry through to make it feel cohesive.

As a matter of fact, I have a bedroom thread going on right now too:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/are-my-bedside-lamps-too-small-dsvw-vd~3389641

Nothing like trying to decorate the whole house at once.

• partim
    hace 8 años

The box to the right of the fireplace should be painted the same color as the wall.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I've created a "Project" to combine all photos as we work on this house. I took a "tour" of the living room with my camera this morning.

http://www.houzz.com/projects/1337477/house-in-the-woods

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

The Victor chair from West Elm is shown here in my best estimation of scale. It's 44.5" tall and comes in lots of different fabrics and colors and patterns.

Victor Armchair | west elm · Más información

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Love! And it's on sale so maybe I need to make a decision now. Eek!

I've all but decided to go very neutral on the other chairs and add a zebra print cushion to each of them. I'm trying to not go overboard with the teal, so I don't think that will work for this chair. I like the cayenne. I'd love to add a couple of pops of orange all over the house. Bad idea?

• PRO
    Edgewater Studio
    hace 8 años

I think it would be great place to put some decorative glass tile as an accent. You would still have the option of placing other decorative items there, or it would look complete and beautiful on it's own! We have many colours you could choose from to match the current palette, and a huge range of decorative shapes.

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

Here's an out of the box thought,,, have you tried flipping the livingrm chairs and the bedroom ones? I don't know if it will work, but after looking at your photo of the whole living room, I feel like that chair is getting lost in that space. It could be because of the wood color or upholstery? And since you plan to reupholster them more neutral , I'm wondering if they will disappear into that window as they are sorta doing now? Maybe reupholster in cayenne color instead? And a subtle pattern chair bringing all your colors in by the fireplace? Just thinking out loud...

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Here is a visual. See how the light wood pops more? This probably isn't the right "coral or cayenne" but it will give you a feel for it.

Cottage House Collection - Redford House (Living Room & Office) · Más información
    One other thing, have you thought of maybe 2 swivel chairs in front of the window? As it appears that you may have a nice backyard to swivel and sit and look at, swivel to watch TV or swivel to look at the couch for conversation.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ted, the bedroom chairs are cheapies I bought at Pier 1 years ago. I like them but they're not very comfortable.

The Louis ones are heirlooms and I'd like to make them work in this room although I agree with you - they may fade into the background a bit unless they get a pop of color. This was why I had the zebra upholstery idea but I can't find what I want for a price I'm willing to pay.

Do you think cayenne would be a bit much against that teal wall though? I just painted that because I thought I knew what I wanted to do in that spot.

(I love the swivel chair idea because we do have deer, etc. walking through the back yard all the time but I don't want to spend that kind of money right now.)

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Something like this is what I was considering for the chairs:

How about this fabric... · Más información

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

Ok. Taking into consideration your point regarding the teal wall and which I totally agree with, that the cayenne would be too much. Looking at those windows more, I'm thinking that the teal frames the window and makes the outside pop. So let the wall color be the pop over there? I think go with your plan for the Louis chairs there, keep them neutral with a fabric as you planned. Do you have enough of this fabric to do all of the chair? What about your zebra fabric in a small pillow for each chair instead of being part of the re-upholstery? Perhaps with the idea that eventually they would replace the Pier I chairs in the bedroom and swivels will go there when the budget allows? That way, if you decide to use them somewhere else down the road, you won't have to concern yourself with reupholstering if the zebra print doesn't work. And if you find years later that you may want to change the wall color and the zebra won't work with the new color, all you have is a pillow change. Just thinking about flexibility.

I'm wondering as it might be fun for you to shop for a chair for near the fireplace that needs some loving that you could put your own spin on with re upholstery it?

I'm going to go study your photos some more....

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

Oh, that's what I've been looking for as a rug for a friends new home! Too bad it isn't a rug! Sorry off track... So is this for the whole chair or parts? If parts, where and what else are you using? I'm a bit confused as you posted what I thought was a pic of the Louis chair a bit earlier but you mention it is going to the reupholster tomorrow. Is this correct? And if so, do you have the fabric picked out or is it still a last minute thing? If a good portion of your chair is going to be upholstered in it, off the top of my head I'm thinking your colors are more warm and I'm getting more cool tones off of it. Monitors colors distort so I hate to get into exact colors. My view shows this as grey and black. Is that the colors?

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Statement chair:

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ooh! Very nice chair.

Regarding the upholstery of the Louis chairs, yes they will be completely reupholstered. I took one to the upholsterer about a month ago so he could tell me how much zebra fabric I'd need. Now I've given up on zebra but he has a lot of samples in his store so I'm sure (maybe) I can find a neutral there that will work.

The fabric in the picture is taupe & dark grey. I haven't bought it. Just an idea of what I'm looking for. Neutral but not boring.

Really hoping to get the chair over there and find the perfect fabric tomorrow. This has been in the works since we moved into this house in April!

And then I have to find a table and a lamp to go in-between them. It never ends but it's so much fun!

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Here's another fabric I'm considering. If the upholsterer doesn't have anything I like I'll be back to ordering swatches.

Everyone cross your fingers, please.

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

Did you get your idea for zebra fabric from the ottoman in your idea book? If so, I think it works in that room as the print is more warm tones. See how the cream lends itself to more brown (at least according to my monitor) with the beige fabric sofa and the brown leather sofa. Where as a black and grey or white print would not work in this space. What color is your leather sofa? It appears to be brown?

Vintage Modern Living · Más información

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

anina- I know when you see the perfect fabric, you'll know. Good luck and let us know what you find.

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Anina, the red chair above is from Wild Chairy. She takes absolutely destroyed chairs and remakes them to unbelievable fabulousness, then sells them for a fortune. The point being, if you found a very cheap chair with great lines, then found a couple of dynamite fabrics, you could have your upholsterer do the same thing and have your very own work of art in the corner.

Before and After Chairs · Más información

Grayson Chair · Más información

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ted, I agree. Browns would be better for fabric. The leather couch is brown and everything in the house is in "warm" colors. (except the basement, which will be another huge project)

Grover, great idea! Unfortunately yard sale season is over but I can start trolling Goodwill.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Pulled the trigger on the chair upholstery. The upholsterer had a swatch of the fabric I was thinking of and I love it. It's dark brown and taupe:

Now I have to find a table and a lamp that'll work with this setup. My sweetie has a love for all things Craftsman & Mission and would love a Tiffany style lamp in here. I refused to go there but agreed to try and find a lamp with a Mica shade that may work.

Meyda Lighting 24"H Van Erp Amber Mica Table Lamp, Amber · Más información

Mica 2-Light Table Lamp, JT-100A-78 · Más información

We had an oval table in our old house which fit really nicely between the two chairs, but it's just not the right style. Ideas?

• PRO
    M and J Woodcrafts Ltd
    hace 8 años

Check out Sid Dickens tiles. https://www.siddickens.com/

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Forester End Table | Wayfair · Más información

Frank Lloyd Wright Martin House Tree of Life Lightbox Accent Lamp | Maclin Studi · Más información

Earth Exchange · Más información

• PRO
    Energy Products & Design
    hace 8 años

I just wanted to recommend that you have your local fireplace shop come and take a look at your fireplace. A gas fireplace should NOT soot. The sooting on your logs either means you are having flame impingement and the logs needs to be adjusted or your gas to air ratio needs to be adjusted.

anina99 agradeció a Energy Products & Design
  • anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I think the "soot" on the logs is actually part of the faux finish and not actual soot but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Grover, I've seen those Frank Lloyd Wright lights but wasn't sure what I'd do with one. I like the idea of a floor lamp as main lighting.

I thought the little end table looked familiar - it's on my Pinterest board for the living room so great minds think alike, right?

How many lamps can one room handle? I already have two in there and with these two that will be four.

Oh, and good job photoshopping the fabric onto the chairs. I tried but just couldn't get it right.

This is what we're thinking of doing for a coffee table. Not buying this expensive one but hubby making one. This is the "River" coffee table by Greg Klassen.

What do you think?

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

A bit off topic but have you considered kilim pillows for the sofa? These are just an example (having tough time finding ones with turquoise in the pattern)

Set of 2 Outdoor Decor Decorative Pillows for Couch, 16x16 kilim pillow · Más información

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

I like to put rugs on top of carpeting for interest and I came across this rug. Don't know if you like to do that but am wondering if this might be a possibility for either the livingrm or master bdrm?

Xavier Area Rug by · Más información

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

Thinking that since the Louis chairs are so army and leggy that perhaps a table with no legs is the way to go? I didn't check if the sizes of these would work- just using as examples.

Hand-carved Oak Oil Finish Oak Oil Finish Mango Wood Merlot 15-inch Dia. x 20-in · Más información

Joak Round Barrel Side Table · Más información
    Beaten Drum End Table · Más información

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

For a table lamp, keep it very simple. As the chairs are the stars and you don't want to distract to much from your view- IMO. You probably need to decide on what you are going to do for a table there first and then figure out the lamp.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I had the exact same concern about all the chair legs and then adding a table with legs too. I'll have to wait until I get the chairs back because I forgot to measure their height.

I love kilim pillows - I actually have one in the bedroom that has nowhere to go but it doesn't have turquoise in it either.

As for the area rug, I'll definitely consider that.

I had done this mock-up in Photoshop using a table without legs but it may be a little too traditional.

I'm considering a floor lamp like Grover suggested. That will keep the table surface cleaner.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

This is our dining room rug:

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

Let's see the kilim pillow. If it will work on the couch, maybe we can find other complimentary kilim pillows that has the turquoise.

I think that side table is too traditional, too.

What about a torchiere lamp for that space? Wouldn't take the eye away from the view. I did a very quick look for one to give you an idea.

Quoizel TF885U Stephen 70 Inch Torchiere Lamp · Más información

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

This is the pillow but I'm not sure kilim pillows will work on the couch since I really still want to put zebra print on the chairs and I'm trying to keep it as simple and modern as I can while still warm and inviting.

Found this online! I think it could have been perfect for the mantel if it wasn't $4,000+!

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Love that sculpture. I'm not surprised at the price, though. Keep an eye out. Something very cool will turn up...eventually.

• tedbixby
    hace 8 años

I mix zebra with kilim for what its worth. This may be a good example of kilim pillows being used in a modern setting.

Living Room Built-Ins · Más información

You do have the right thoughts going on regarding the fireplace mantel...

Maybe Home Goods will eventually have the perfect piece.

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Take a look a Garden Deva. You could commission something; she can make anything.

Live Laugh Love and Be Happy - Garden Deva Sculpture Company makes unique sculpt · Más información

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Wow! Thank you everyone for your input. I love Houzz!

I'm waiting for my newly upholstered chairs to be ready then I'll be back with more questions.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
  • PRO
    Tori Black Homes
    hace 8 años

You say pretty much whatever you've tried gets "lost" on the high mantle and I completely understand. However, the problem is not how to decorate the mantle per se. Rather, the problem is getting what you decorate the mantle with, to relate to everything else in the room.

If I may point out, there are two distinct focal points in the room - right next to each other, The fireplace is one, the Media niche is the other.

The room could use two separate seating groups in order to highlight both the areas properly thus becoming more functional. The fireplace is lovely but seems a bit neglected without chairs on either side or any kind of seating nearby to enjoy the fire.

It seems to me the problem is not the scale or height of the mantle, In fact the mantle shelf seems just the right size for books. I have decorated a mantle with books a few times and my clients are surprised and delighted! Especially ones that have a lot of books.

Anyway, I played around with your before picture and doodled a rendering with all of the above in mind. Hope it helps a little. I went Mid-Century Modern based on your preference for uncluttered minimalist styles, but you could go any way you want to go, by switching it to a more traditional style bench. Also if you do change the coffee table, the room might benefit from a circular one. Try adding a couple of low slung mid century chairs in graphic patterns. Happy decorating!

Tori

www.toriblackhome.com

anina99 agradeció a Tori Black Homes
  • Claire
    hace 8 años
    The chairs are spectacular!!
    anina99 agradeció a Claire
  • Beverly
    hace 8 años

I love the set up as just above with the plant.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Just got these guys for my birthday. I love them. Wondering if they could somehow be made to work on the mantel. (Have a giraffe coming too, which will be a little taller.)

If not on the mantel, how would one use them in a room?

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

First, turn them the other way. You don't want them to walk off the edge. (Yes, I'm totally serious.)

• teamaltese
    hace 8 años
    Honestly, I'd leave it empty. Not every horizontal surface needs decor. I'd let the beautiful wood and stone stand alone.
  • Beverly
    hace 8 años

Precious animals. Yes to keep there and turn the other direction.

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

They are a good size for the mantel. Perhaps just the three of them alone there is all you need.

• anina99
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    LOL. I turned them around. They now have a long way to go before they walk off the other end. :o)
    Just kidding. They did look like they were on a precipice.
    When I get the giraffe I'll be back RE placement.
  • shelleykay
    hace 8 años

Don't know if anyone's reading anymore, but I liked your ironwork "picture." It fills in the area nicely and ties in with the black "iron look" fireplace. I agree, however, with the person who didn't like the zebra chair in this location and I think the two spaces on either side of the fireplace should remain picture free. (like pillars of drywall.) That way the focus is on the artwork above the fireplace.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.