jarowlands

Painting Exterior Wood Window Sashes

Cat Smith
hace 8 años

We had a window repair company repair some old windows which included installing six new wood window sashes. They were Anderson primed casement windows. I researched paints on the internet and it appeared latex paints were okay to use for exterior painting. I used a top quality Behr exterior latex paint with primer to paint the windows. Now the windows won't close. I then contacted Anderson and their care sheets say to use oil-based primers only. Have I made an irreparable mistake?

Comentarios (5)

• Michael
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Did you apply paint to the edges of the sashes?

Since the sashes were already primed, you didn't need a primer, just waterborne paint.

Cat Smith agradeció a Michael
  • PRO
    MEHP
    hace 8 años

It's not an irreparable mistake. It could be that the paint hasn't fully cured yet, which just requires you removing them from the tracks and giving them more time to dry, 48 hours for most latex paints. If you painted the edges of the windows that run along the tracks, you'll need to remove that paint by hand-sanding the edges with a medium grit sandpaper.

Side Note- A paint and primer in one is kind of like shampoo and conditioner in one, it's not the same as using each separately, nor does it work as effectively.

Cat Smith agradeció a MEHP
  • paintguy22
    hace 8 años

I don't see how the primer could even be a factor here. When casement windows open and close. painted surfaces really shouldn't be touching anywhere. That is what weatherstripping is for. Are you sure they were installed properly? Did you remove them to paint and then re-install them incorrectly? Need more info on this one.

Cat Smith agradeció a paintguy22
  • Cat Smith
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks so much for your input everyone. I very much appreciate it.

I did paint the edges of the sashes. Maybe the term “primed” casement windows meant some type of protective coating and not an official coat of primer.

We painted earlier this summer so the paint has had plenty of time to dry.

I’m pretty sure they were correctly installed. The installation was done by a window repair company with a good reputation. We didn’t remove them to paint them. We painted them in place.

It almost seems like the wood windows swelled in the heat and humidity. I was thinking it could be because I used latex and not an oil-based primer but perhaps that’s not the case. I know nothing about paint.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    hace 8 años

The problem is the rubber seals are brought hard against the latex paint for months at a time, in all weather, and they often stick(more like form a permanent bond) when opening them up. I have seen the rubber gaskets tear if the window was pried open. Some rubber w-strips are silicon rubber now for the reason that like teflon, they don't stick. Vinyl, OTOH...

Casey

Cat Smith agradeció a Sombreuil
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.