Houzz Logo Print
houzzaupolls

POLL: What is the most important thing to men in a "man space?"

HouzzAU Polls
hace 8 años

Not every bloke wants a bar and jerseys of their favourite footy team, some may want bookshelves and a space for writing their novel...

We're researching Aussies and their love of man spaces for an upcoming feature in our Stories, so to help us out, we'd love to get your opinion on what you think is the most important element in a "man space" at home.

Remember, you don't need to be a man to have an opinion!

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments...

Spa bath
Cleanliness
Games
Space just for you
Space that tells your story and where you've been
Great bed or comfy couch
Non-cluttered space for entertaining
Showing off what you love (collections, etc)
Items with low WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)
A good bar
Clock with dead batteries (to remove stress)
Other - Tell us below!

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Lakshmi
    hace 8 años

A great home theatre!

• PRO
    Designer Man Cave
    hace 8 años

I haven't had to incorporate any jerseys into man spaces I've created - thankfully! Each man space is completely unique and individual to the man who lives in it. I love incorporating the things men enjoy into the space, whatever their hobbies and past time activities.

Very interested to see what these poll results are!

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

If you're part of a couple, decorating can be about building a home environment you are both pleased with. Fortunately this is often easy as attraction is imbued with shared loves and admiration - you like the same things or you admire and adore the person and so what they like reminds you of your adoration, even if it isn't something you personally enjoy. But as you're both doing it, the decoration and features become about both of you.

So for me, my own space is about those bits of me it would be unfair to impose on shared space - the obsessions, the fanboy stuff, the spreadeagled hobbies. In the house we might choose my photos that reflect our love of our current environment, while in my space the subject matter might be what I call my "boring photos" (the one's people want to ask "Why the hell did you take that?"). Likewise in my space I can spread the gear-obsession with photography over all available surfaces. And my books... I need bookcases for my eclectic tastes, leaving the more generic and shared-useful books in the shared spaces.

But mostly, my space needs to have space for the person I share my life with. Yes, the area is filled with self-interest, but I need a space where my partner can come in, maybe with a laptop or a book or an iPad if they want to entertain themselves, and themselves relax, maybe two chairs & a coffee table, maybe a clear spot next to me on a long desk, maybe their own carved-out bit of space where they can just be, but all somewhere they want to be. Because, yes, I want to be alone, yes, as a reclusive, introverted person I sometimes need "clear air", but I would never want any space I occupy to have such low "WAF" (ugh, ~vomits~) that it would isolate me from the actual or potential presence of the one person sufficiently and deeply empathetic with me that they'd give me this "man space" within "our space". And I'd sure as hell do the same back.

• Jeremy de Laroche
    hace 8 años

My ideal manspace would have enough room for all the activities, plus a space for relaxing. Okay, it might end up being a huge shed in the backyard. A place for tools, benches for working on things, room for woodwork and crafting and any other venture I attempt. Perhaps a quiet office space for all those novel ideas I've got pent up. So yeah, space. Space to work would be the most important thing for my man space. Give me room to paint and sculpt. I hate having to set up and pack up half way through a project.

• njemmett
    hace 8 años
    Beer & wine fridge, 60" Plasma, Sporting Memorabilia, Xbox, fussball, darts, ensuite and pool... That's all I need!
  • User
    hace 8 años
    archimondo, yes, the dog(s), of course the dog(s). Pretty shameful of me to forget them really.
  • staceyjay
    hace 8 años

I am a woman and I think men need to be able to be men in their "man space" whatever that may mean to each particular individual. Books, music, quiet alone time, mates, noise, beer, darts, smoke, big screen TV, yell, swear, mess, footy, soccer etc.... If men don't have a place where they can lose reality for a while then they will find somewhere else to be......

• me me
    hace 7 años

Surely it's a giant TV!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.