finndian

My bedroom furniture, what isn't working here?

hace 8 años

I'm finally getting around to giving my bedroom a little style. Its just been where I was putting some mismatched furniture and sleeping until now.

I had reading sconces on the wall but I've decided to try lamps instead... you'll see both over the side tables but I think I'll switch to some kind of lamps. These blue ones still have tags so I can return.

The bed is old so I could replace, I could lose one the sidetables if it too matchy as well. Are the head board and side tables too disparate in terms of style and color to be even interesting together? Help!

Comentarios (38)

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Hello! What style are you going for?

Paul F. agradeció a Juxtaposed Interiors
  • hace 8 años

I'm looking for an eclectic artsy look. I know the bedding needs work! I like the yellows with pops of blue. In terms of the furniture I'm just wondering if there is anything I can build off of or is it all a mess? I could put a couple thousand in to make it work I guess. Not looking for a matching bedroom suite however. The rug is new with lots of silk... I love it actually.

This is a very, modern boxy building with all these high windows in the room like you see in the picture. Any chance to get away with just leaving the sun blocking shades with no curtains? It would seem odd to have all these short curtains that end 5 feet off the floor everywhere, no?

• hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I would not be concerned about curtains. I think the bed is fine, but would look at new side tables. I actually like the lamps they compliment the tall headboard. Of course new bedding is in order. I can give you some options, are you in US? I will stay with blue palate. Let me look at tables and bedding.

Paul F. agradeció a susan2494
  • hace 8 años

I am in Santa Monica, CA. Thanks so much for your help! :)

• hace 8 años

Here is some bedding that would look very nice with rug. Accent with a couple of pillows in Yellow, keep the sheets white.

• hace 8 años
    I like the lamps, that blue could be you inspiration for new linens. since the room looks small you could replace the night stands with small chest with mirrored drawers and or doors. they could hold more and take less space visually.
    you could easily slipcover the head and foot board with a bedspread to match new bedding. if possible removing the footboard and using just a head board would open up the space.
    Some larger art would brighten the room as well. the blue lamps and the blues in the rug and throw work together so look for art with those colors and maybe another accent color like a warm coral, gold or red. or take the black picture for inspiration for a monochromatic look with painting furniture black or white with the rest in shades of blue.
    pick your style and colors with big ticket bedding then work the rest to match.
    Paul F. agradeció a kathleen MK
  • hace 8 años
    I love a simple bed without all the extra layers of blankets and pillows. However your headboard is so tall, you might bring your pillows out and add 3 Euro pillows like this, http://houzz.com/photos/2575015
    Also try the rug 2/3 of the way under the bed so it's the first thing you step on in the morning. And with those nightstands, I prefer the sconces or slimmer lamps like these, http://houzz.com/photos/31459
    http://houzz.com/photos/15067334
    Paul F. agradeció a W
  • hace 8 años

These would be

nice, come in several colors. A yellow one would be cute with yellow accent pillows and a white on the other side.

• hace 8 años

Very nice! I get the impact the bedding can have and love the idea of blues for the covers. I've just never paid much attention but I am an adult now and need to have a place I'm proud of so I'm trying to formulate my style. I think I may need to glam it up a little with more of a sophisticated, less traditional looking bed to go with the modern building.

• hace 8 años

I love eclectic design! I love that often "two wrongs make a right" in eclectic design. Your furniture works fine together for eclectic design. The lamps are terrific. I even like the lonely small print on the wall and no window treatment. You're right that the bedding is the culprit. I propose painting the bed wall blue that matches the lamp base. Yes, they may blend a bit with the wall, but the base design will show up and the walls opposite speak to the shades. Then, do something eclectic and replace the end table knobs with glass or crystal so speak to your luxurious throw and rug. You mention you like yellow but yellows may not look great with the wood tone of the side tables so maybe a deep yellow?

Paul F. agradeció a Darzy
  • hace 8 años

Kathleen, I had never heard of a slipcover on a headboard....thats interesting! I was thinking of how I could change the existing furniture with paint or add like mirrored tops on the side tables. Susan thanks for the suggestions, its really helping to formulate the style I'm going for!

• hace 8 años

If you painted the bed wall blue, white goose down comforter, bottom sheet white and top sheet blue or yellow folded over the comforter with just white pillow cases. Then, throw in some fun pillows like this in different patterns and colors. Fun, pretty and eclectic.

Paegna Ikat Pillow Blue 18"x18" · Más información

• hace 8 años

Yellow, gray, blue pillows and simply white comforter and blue or yellow sheets.

Yellow, Citron, & Gray Pillows · Más información

• hace 8 años

Darzy... how I pray you are right in terms of using what I have! Lets test that out.

• hace 8 años

Instead of buying new bed, take off the footboard (it will open up the space as well as making your bed look bigger) then get a new headboard.

or go with a pattern and use white bedding with accent yellow, blue and brown pillows.

• hace 8 años

I like the blue wall a lot and I'm not usually a fan of an accent wall. Typical glass knobs may be too small for the end tables. Wouldn't it be fun to install vintage glass door knobs instead? :)

• hace 8 años

Susan, thanks for the suggestions... I think to keep the lamps I'd need a high headboard maybe like your second choice.

Btw, the room is... 11'3" across but it is 21'5 long with a sitting area across the room. Darzy, it will be hard to find huge pulls so I might have to try that!

• hace 8 años

I'm not 100% sold on the accent wall but a great Kelly Wearstler wall paper would be interesting.

• hace 8 años

Put in blue headboard if you are considering painting yours

Dusty cornflower Ben Moore paint

• hace 8 años

Throw on a white comforter and a small yellow pillow on your photo depiction and it's looking petty darn nice. I do like the wallpaper idea too.

• hace 8 años
    I agree with Darzy on the accent wall. It's narrow rooms. When the walls are painted the same color, it feels like a tunnel. Put a strong focal point at the end, like the accent wall, and you don't notice the tunnel.
    Paul F. agradeció a W
  • hace 8 años

• hace 8 años

Don't sacrifice the originality of your room for o.co chic.

Paul F. agradeció a User
  • hace 8 años

If you just want an accent wall for headboard, and also the table with legs will open up the room more as will getting rid of the footboard.

• hace 8 años

Thanks for the work Susan! I see what you mean about the table legs as opposed to the mass of these cabinets. I think I need to work with this a bit and then take more pics when the bed cover is not quite so inappropriate as it is distracting and there are some shams or just pillows.

This wallpaper idea is intriguing!

• hace 8 años

That might look really nice with a blue headboard, yellow side table, white bedding and some yellow and blue pillows. You will have to go solid for bedding with that or take some Dramamine before entering room. :>) Sorry about the amateurish display, but trying to work with new app and not fully functioning yet. Me not the app.

• hace 8 años

I'd replace the bedside tables with floating shelves and upgrade the sconces. The room seems too small for full lamps. Consider painting the trim around the head and foot board and upholstering the inside area. You'll achieve a larger looking bedroom if you remove the foot board entirely though.

Riverview Residence · Más información

master bedroom · Más información

Paul F. agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • hace 8 años

Ok, blue upholstered headboard (or not), removed foot board, wall paper... thinking about mirroring the top of the side tables.

• hace 8 años

Have you thought of painting your side tables black with mirrored tops? After you remove the foot board, get new bedding and new head board, of course.

Paul F. agradeció a erinsean
  • hace 8 años

$234.00

$160

$154

• hace 8 años

Looking good. I would get one side table that was more open and maybe mirrored.

• hace 8 años

Wasn't able to find a legged table to mix it up but brought home some pillows and broke out a Trina Turk coverlet. How's that look?

• hace 8 años

The before picture looked like someone who traveled, had eclectic taste, but eschewed the materialistic trappings of society in favor of life experiences. Now it's all feeling a bit forced.

Paul F. agradeció a User
  • hace 8 años
    Darcy - where did you find those yellow pillows?
    Paul F. agradeció a Christine R
  • hace 8 años
    I like the updated pics.

If you have the busy wall, I'd opt for a simpler throw. The wall is fighting with the throw. I like the throw with the white wall.
    Paul F. agradeció a Gato Playa
  • hace 8 años
    Can the bedside tables be moved, maybe beside your sofa as a bit too heavy for the space. Would be better to have something with just a drawer and legs so you could see the floor. I would paint the walls very light grey or off white, then paint the bed to complement. If the bed painted quite similar to the walls I think it would help it to blend in the space as it is quite dominating at the moment. As space quite small I would keep it quite light. Lamps would work fine if tied in with bedding. Paint mirror edge too.
    Paul F. agradeció a whalewatcher99
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

Wanted to add my 2cents Finn, bc I thought your original bedroom furniture was fabulous! Loved the bed, end tables and those Blue lamps! It is a small room but works. The placement of the rug seemed off and the pic on the wall too small and the bedding needed to be changed to make the room pop. But you were asking about the furniture and I wouldn't change a thing. You'd be surprised how changing the color of the bedding makes not having to change wall color. Adding a color to the walls, especially that blue made those pretty and unusual blue lamps blend in and not stand out which made the room design! I like the high head board and the proportion of the lamp shades in conjunction with the head board work.

Paul F. agradeció a Karen Ferro REALTOR
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.