yasminwallace

Painter used different brand than what I requested

yasminwallace
hace 8 años

We just painted our house exterior and I chose a Sherwin Williams paint color. They showed us the color swatches on the wall. Then we noticed once they started working on the house that they were using Olympic paint. I'm pretty peeved. If I asked for SW, why would they use Olympic? The painter said it's the same, that any brand can match another. He brought the paint sample can that was by Valspar and it said the SW name. I feel duped. Is this common? I feel like they should have just been up front about it.

Comentarios (10)

• pcmom1
    hace 8 años

I just had part of our home painted. My painter has a certain store he gets his paint from, so although my sample was from a big box, they just matched it. Common I guess.

• Ann
    hace 8 años

Most places can mix colors from a another brand. They all seem the have the color formulas for one another's colors.

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    He is telling you correct ,any brand can match any paint, most painters have contracts with paint company's by using them all the time the get discounts, I'm betting most people tell him what color and he always uses Olympic and just has it matched..however if you have it in writing that you wanted SW paint then he should use it
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 8 años
    What does his contract say he will use? The brand of paint and the grade should be specified in the contract. Where the paint chip comes from matters none as it can be matched.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    hace 8 años

"Matching" paint is only an approximation. Different companies use different tints and number of tints and the bases that are tinted can be quite different. I think the painter did not communicate with you properly when you were making your colour choice. He should have said that he would be "colour matching" the SW paint. Paint qualities vary considerably between manufacturers, and paint is one thing where you get what you pay for since good ingredients are costly. I'm wondering if you'll get the same performance on your exterior with the Valspar as you would with the SW. I kind of doubt it. I'm assuming that the painter did not ask you to sign a contract? This type of thing should have been noted in the contract and pointed out to you specifically. At this point, I don't blame you for feeling duped, and if it was me, I would be pretty angry. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it unless you ask for it to be repainted with SW or you'll take them to small claims court. Only you know if you want to go this far.

• Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

Matching the color is one thing, but matching quality of product is another as stated above.

For sure he should have used the product you requested or told you he was using another brand. I wouldn't pay him until he paints your home as per the contract. Hopefully your written contract states Sw or you may not have a case in small claims court.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 8 años

SW have been around for a very long time and I been using SW for a very long time. There is a few good points made above SW paint and that is outperforms most paints when it comes to exterior or interior for that matter...and they also guarantee that exterior paint by SW will last for as long as you own your home and that is why this paint is used by most Pros.

You cannot go by the color, like it was said above you can match any color, you will also pay $7 per gallon for one brand and $50 per gallon for the same color of the other brand... at the same time $7 paint will last you a year or two and $50 paint will last you 10 years .

With that said, if your contract said SW, you should have SW.

• User
    hace 8 años
    If you don't have it in writing a painter will try to match your color with a cheaper brand. I always get in writing, the color, sheen, and brand!
    I always use Benjamin Moore colors, but for my rentals have them paint with Kelly Moore paint, a little less expensive and since it's a rental we will be painting every few years.
    For my residence, I use Benjamin Moore paint, always.
  • PRO
    Livingston Interiors, Inc.
    hace 6 años

I use Benjamin Moore paints 98% of the time for all of my clients. A side from the fact that they are very durable, and cleanable, their color selections are just unbeatable. Their colors "stay on the walls" which in the trade means that the colors are not too clean and bright that they overcome the room, instead, they provide a quite back drop to all the elements of the room. Don't be fooled, it is virtually impossible to get an exact match to any of their colors from another paint company as they have developed their own line of color tints, that is the pigment that is added to the base white color to create the color you want. Also, their color tints are 100% voc free which is hard to find in other paints. Their Advance line has been developed for cabinetry, woodwork, doors, casings, base boards,etc and finishes beautifully. Its also great to be able to buy their small sample to try rather than having to purchase a quart. They may be a little more expensive but well worth it for your special home.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.