Houzz Logo Print
cdafoe

Catriona's Closet Chaos

cdafoe
hace 8 años
Anybody have any insight how to update/make useful the nether regions of a reach in closet that extends two feet (60cm) on both sides of the double closet doors? The wall on one side houses the electrical switch for the room, the other side is clear of interference. Preference is to not have to open the wall(s) to install new custom doors since there is broadloom in place that would also be affected. Have reviewed photos, it seems the least expensive update is to hang a rod(s) at a 90 degree angle at the opening of the "cave" areas? Thanks for your ideas.

Comentarios (6)

• apple_pie_order
    hace 8 años

Photos and a floor plan with measurements would be useful.

• cdafoe
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ok, thanks. Msmts and photos:
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 8 años

Thanks for info. Consider installing adjustable height shelves in each recessed area, from side to side, as deep as 20-24 inches to fit whatever clear plastic storage boxes are available to you. Slide laundry baskets under shelves on each side. Install two closet rods in the remaining 48" space. You will still have a full 96" of hanging space. Tops on tops, bottoms on bottom. If you need space for dresses or long coats, end the bottom rod a few inches short.

If you can add a ceiling light to the closet, that will improve its function and looks enormously. Building codes in your area will specify what types of lighting are allowed in enclosed closets.

• cdafoe
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for the tips. I would not have thought to consult our city building reqts vis a vis lighting, but I will now.
  • PRO
    Inspired Closets
    hace 8 años

I would recommend hanging on either side (front to back) with shelving or shelving with shelves over for the middle. This will allow you to maximize the space and still have it accessible.

• cdafoe
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Carsons. I think I now must complete an inventory to decide the best ratio of hanging vs shelving for my needs. Thanks for including the view of your ideas.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.