Houzz Logo Print
sneh1234

Living room needs new rug

sneh1234
hace 8 años
Hello,

Looking for a new rug for the living room. Attaching photos. Need suggestions on size and type color of rugs.

Any other suggestions to give the room some character are also welcome and appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Comentarios (40)

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

that looks like 5x7 so i would say 8x10 or larger.

you might want a larger coffee table too.

you really have no accent colors to help us with here so I would say stay in the family you have.

• W
    hace 8 años
    Probably 8'x10'. Your room is neutral, so I'd stick with those shades for the rug. But if you want to inject color, the rug would be a good place to start.
  • tfswest
    hace 8 años

You need a much larger rug, one that reaches somewhat under the front feet of the couches and is still centered in the room. With those black sofas, I'd go with a deep color to help ground the whole room. Solid or patterned is up to you.

A coffee table is useless if no one can reach it to set down a cup of coffee, a glass of wine or a beer. :-( Consider pushing it toward the center seat of the longer couch, or finding a home for it in a different room, and add end tables for a more functional room. It looks like the room could accommodate an additional chair to the right, or a higher table on the right for lamp, objects, and television tucked underneath it.

Handsome room off to a great start; good luck with it!

• leelee
    hace 8 años

Bigger rug and larger art over the sofa. Can you return matching end table? Add a little color in the rug and art. Over-the-sofa art should be about 2/3 the length of the sofa...60 inch sofa needs 40 inch wide art. Horizontal better than vertical.

I thought that might wake you up!

• Geneviève
    hace 8 años

introducing another color would help aside from the larger rug ,your table would compliment this rug .

Cosmopolitan COS8893 Abstract Rug in Beige, Sage & Brown (8 ft. x 11 ft.) · Más información

• Geneviève
    hace 8 años

Zuo Modern Cat Apple Green Linen Outdoor Small Pillow - 703285 · Más información

• PRO
    Super Organizing Solutions
    hace 8 años

A larger rug for sure. Get one with pattern and color (black in the rug only as an accent) Don't match the picture on the wall to the pattern on the new rug. Unless you are planning a TV for the blank wall move the larger sofa to the blank wall and move the smaller sofa to the wall where the larger couch was. Swap the tall cabinet to the corner and move the lamp to the other side. Or get rid of the standing lamp and get a lamp for the little table (but still do the swap). The coffee table is too high and a rectangular one would work better. Do a gallery picture wall over the couch rather that one big one. Black and white prints or photography would work well. Pillows (4) for the sofa use colors from the rug and maybe a nice textured throw (for the winter).

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

Just another option for you/ jute with bright pink, or any other color/ which from here seems to echo wall color:

Kaleen Kenwood Collection Rug, 7'6"x9' · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

a bit lively for wood flooring, but what colors are in the rest of your home?

Kaleidoscope Multi Pink Geometric Argyle Transitional Rug, 6'7"x9'1" · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

so many are pretty.

Rizzy Bradberry Downs BD8873 8'x10' Pink Rug · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

Ophelia Distressed Overdyed Rug, 6'7"x9'6" · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

Trans Ocean Visions III Pick Up Sticks, Blue, Green, 3'6"x5'6" Rug · Más información

Bamboo Luxury Bright Morning Glory Blue Throw Blanket · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

Gillis 18" Pillow with Down-Alternative Insert · Más información

• Tammy Lawhorn
    hace 8 años
    Brighten it up and bigger!
  • chrisblouke
    hace 8 años

this is from Pier One. It would really pop in your dark room.

• slumanroad
    hace 8 años

How about a larger round rug to soften up the look? Drop the tall coffee table.

• dawn_dunn18
    hace 8 años

All is have to say is COLOR...

• Lizzy L.
    hace 8 años

Like everyone else said, a larger rug for sure. You never want a rug floating in a room. I would do an 8 X 10 in a light color. You need a larger picture above the couch and make sure it's not hung too high, like it is now. I would also replace the coffee table for a larger, lower one in white or off-white. Finally, move the floor lamp. It's too crammed in.

• Patricia Linn
    hace 8 años
    I agree with lee lee. And I wish you lived close to me. I saw a rug VERY similar to the diamond one at Lowes yesterday, ON CLEARANCE!!! I picked up another one, 10 X 7 (originally $248, for $89.00 !!! ). Felt like I won the lottery! But also, look at Overstock.com - they have some AWESOME deals right now!!!
  • capeanner
    hace 8 años

The love seat facing a bare wall isn't a great option. You might want to rearrange the furniture to see what you can come up with. If there isn't another option you might consider a drape on that wall as there seems to be a window. Or you could put up some narrow shelving that would hold some interesting objects, possibly black and white framed photos.

Agree that the rug and coffee table are too small and the artwork is not the proper proportion for the couch. Am also a fan of neutrals, but those couches look as though they could use something to break up all the black. Maybe just a few neutral textured pillows or a soft woven throw. (Are those balls of yarn under the coffee table?)

Good luck! Send us your "afters".

• Rachel Lee
    hace 8 años
    FLOR.com is the only way to go! I did my whole house with new rugs at a very reasonable price, plenty of leftover and style, style, style. Plus the concept is eco-mindful, travels well and pet friendly. Fun design experience too.
  • janny1959
    hace 8 años

I would use a larger rug so that it can 'anchor' the furniture. If you want to inject some colour a turquoise, pale coral, sea green would all work with your furniture and matching throw cushions in various textures & patterns with similar colours in the rug you choose would tie it together nicely. An oval coffee table would solve the 'reach' issue so that guests on either sofa could reach & a grouping of wall art above the sofa would add dimension & interest.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 8 años
    8x10 silver shag, or a print with a contemporary design. A much bigger pic over sofa hang 7" from top of sofa.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 8 años
    Add tall items to coffee table. And a lamp on that round end. Make it a color base.
  • ljfq
    hace 8 años

You have a great neutral color scheme, now have fun. Pick a rug with at least SOME color. Worry less about how closely it" matches", just make sure it is one that makes you smile every time you look at it. Then pull some shades of color from the rug for accessories.

• Connie Bundy
    hace 8 años

Go to a store that has LOTS of area rugs, and find something that speaks to you. Your room is pretty basic, and with a unique, colorful rug that you love, you will find the right artwork. Of course, it needs to be larger than what you have. I like the "makes you smile" comment from ljfq.

• Connie Bundy
    hace 8 años

I do like your coffee table, just cozy it up to your sofa a little more. If you have a seat that needs a spot for a beverage, get a lively end table.

• K N
    hace 8 años

Looks like the room is all warm colors. Our designer chose a wonderful cool rug in beach glass colors that is an extra long shag. Couldn't wrap my mind around it till it got here. Took a dull room into a haven. Also, the rug is under all the legs of the three sofas, two of them (the ones across from each other) the rug extends about 1' under one and 1 1/2 ' under the other. Gives a very rich look.

• lubasailing
    hace 8 años

I happen to like your rug, though it could be larger. Even if you changed the rug, you still need an accent colour in cushions, a plant or something to soften edges, and the right hand wall has nothing on it. The change in the rug alone isn't going to do it. Why not work with what you've got?

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

the OP has never replied to this thread.. if she does someone let me know lol...

• barrte
    hace 8 años
    I would like to paint the chimney maybe white to add light to the room, but most people advise against it. Should I paint it or change the color of the room
  • sandradclark
    hace 8 años

You have popped into a separate different thread....I think.

• suezbell
    hace 8 años

If your space is limited and your sofa and loveseat must stay where they are, you may well need either a room sized rug or, better yet, two narrow runners (one the length of and in front of each piece of furniture with the front feet of each piece of furniture on the edge of the runner) to make the rug(s) look as if it actually fits.

Try removing the rug and living without it a while and see if you feel you really "need" one. (Try using the coffee table in the corner created by the arms of the sofa and loveseat instead as a coffee table.) With wood floors, and especially if you go with a pair of small ottomans instead of a coffee table, you likely will not. Some ottomans that have storage have a top that will flip and have a soft cushion for your feet on one side and a firm insert on the other side that could be used as a coffee table.

• ertb
    hace 8 años

I agree with the need for a larger rug, at least 2 feet wider. Unlike some of the others, I love the neutral colors on the floor (though I would NOT match it to the art on the wall). You can add color with pillows if you want more pizazz. So many opinions....how will you ever decide?

• Weng Durepos
    hace 8 años
    if u want your living room look alive I would suggest to get another rug like this
  • Weng Durepos
    hace 8 años
    color of the rug I can suggest
  • PRO
    Stacie Podos Interiors,LLC / Combine by Design
    hace 8 años

Find a pro that lves in your area and possibly charges by the hour since you already have the main pieces. You need either an 8x10 or 9x12 area rug, a new coffee table and some throw pillows. You can add more art work and acessories depending on your budget

• eli
    hace 8 años

the rug is key I think, way larger (below feet of couches almost to opposite wall) and if that has a rich color - wow! I agree with the larger coffee table , transparent if you rug pops.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.