Houzz Logo Print
leslie_703

Exterior Makeover Needed!

hace 8 años

Help! We bought our house last year and LOVE the interior, neighborhood, yard, etc.. But we did not buy it for the curb appeal. I desperately want to love the exterior as much as I do the other parts of the house. What can I do to update the exterior?! The problem that we are running into is that the siding of the home is a very light cream color. The windows are all Andersen Terratone (brown grey color). I'm open for any and all options and opinions. I thought of possibly adding additional brick around the window as well.

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    hace 8 años

I think I understand what the problem is. Unfortunately, the solutions are not going to be simple and cheap. The problem is the proportions of the facade are slightly off, so a paint job or adding a couple of things will not help it most likely. The other problem is that the brick is a really a nice material. Tearing it out will feel kind of bad. Possibly you could salvage some brick for turning the walls rather than having a stuck on brick facade on the front only like it appears you have. Before doing anything, you need someone (maybe you) to draw up a few options and see if the proportions can be fixed and it meets your local regulations. I would recommend dividing up the facade & adding some horizontal lines to it somehow (porch, material change etc). I would also recommend getting rid of the arches, or modifying them to make the proportion of the whole better. Additionally, it appears you have vinyl siding mixed in with the nice brick. That material quality contrast is pretty significant. It could maybe work, but is quite difficult to pull off well. Without drawing it out, it is hard to say the best options. As it is, the garage is a much more pleasing proportion than the house. That is very rare in residential design, because garages are on the scale of cars and not people. Last advice- do not, under any circumstances, let someone convince you to paint the brick.

• hace 8 años
    Nothing wrong with the house,it is the red around the trim ,looks like you are working on that with paint,start there...and I love the dark windows
  • hace 8 años

Any color suggestions?

• hace 8 años

I would paint it the same color as the windows.

• hace 8 años
    Leslie, are you looking for cosmetic changes or something more?
  • hace 8 años

I tried that in a painting app I have. The problem is that it looks great in the back, but the grey color blends in with the roof but contrasts with the brick. It would also make the porch area very dark.

• hace 8 años

I'm looking for both. Cosmetic changes that can hold me over for the next 2-3 years until we are ready to tackle another major project.

• hace 8 años

What if you do something like this and paint just the roof trim and front porch the sample that you've been testing:

Here are some others. I'm not crazy about white around the windows. It seems like it draws attention to the space between the top of the windows and trim.

• hace 8 años

Wow...thanks for drawing it up. I'm leaning toward painting all of the trim the same color as the windows. The rest of the house cream siding. So painting the trim cream makes the back and sides seem very boring.. Keep the door red or change it to wood to match the garage?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.