Houzz Logo Print
jude_burde

Need finishing touches, please help.

Pajarito
hace 8 años

We are in the process of remodeling. We want a more contemporary look in our house with clean lines. We just removed columns, wainscoting and a knee wall to open the space up and to rid it of a more formal feel. This room is the front parlor, across is the dining room which is bare except for a painting by the same artist. The entire downstairs has been painted ultra white and the wood floors refinished.This room is the closest I have finished but it is still lacking! We don't have any clutter and our philosophy is less is more but this just feels bare.

Comentarios (46)

• retroearth
    hace 8 años

some side tables to put down a drink or book.

Pajarito agradeció a retroearth
  • tfitz1006
    hace 8 años

Everything is lovely. I would add some clean line simple end tables and lamps and if your budget allowed, perhaps a craftsman rug with some earth tones/green. Love your space and floors.

Pajarito agradeció a tfitz1006
  • PRO
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging
    hace 8 años

I agree with your style....I'm a "less is more" girl. I would use a much bigger piece of art and a rug for sure. A small side table by the sofa. Love the arc lamp! Just add those few things, and leave it alone if you want to keep it simple :)

Pajarito agradeció a Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging
  • shivece
    hace 8 años
    Who is the artist? Reminds me of Russell Chatham.
  • Bea Parker
    hace 8 años
    Besides two small end tables, two lamps for the tables, and a rug with some color in it, I would add a fairly large plant or small tree where that blank wall is. If there is room, I would also add a small coffee table.
    Pajarito agradeció a Bea Parker
  • Danielle B
    hace 8 años

Love the clean look, and what you have done so far. I would consider adding a large rug to define the entire area. Then, live with it a little, and add piece one at a time. No need to rush. I think you a bit of darker elements in your scheme. Perhaps a charcoal grey.

Pajarito agradeció a Danielle B
  • patrinkac
    hace 8 años
    Search Swedish Design or decor.....there are hundreds of minimalist room photos by Scandinavian designers. I spent almost all Sunday afternoon flipping thru pics. What was a constant was white walls and big windows with very little window coverings.
    I think what impressed me the most was lack of clutter. Florida Girl (I've decided to redecorate rather than move to a condo!!!)
    Pajarito agradeció a patrinkac
  • PRO
    Spaceform Design Build Interiors
    hace 8 años

Nice room. I think this bookcase of ours would work well with your furniture!

Phi Bookcase · Más información

Pajarito agradeció a Spaceform Design Build Interiors
  • Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Tosa Design The library/office is going to a have a wall of 8' white floating shelves for books. This room does not have any room for it. I do love bookcases, though. Across the couch is a very large window.

• Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Patrinkac I will check out that site. We don't like window treatments. This room has white grommet drapes on a nickle finish modern rod . They are only up only because the window faces the front of the house and the style of the house needs some kind of coverings. The idea was for them to blend into the wall plus they need to match the dining room which is across from this room. It's baby steps..that room is sitting empty. I need some inspiration.

• Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I think a small table next to the couch would help fill up the space, maybe something white or glass. I love how you make renderings for everyone, groveraxle. It really helps to see things in place.

• Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Danielle B I had a rug in there that was dark but we were torn. I thought it was to heavy looking, bit small and liked the floors to be the star. I think maybe I just haven't found the right one, yet. I can't seem to upload the photo. I will try later. Hope all those repeat images don't appear!

• thegypsyrover
    hace 8 años

I love your living room ! As other posters have noted, an area rug, large enough for all of the furniture to sit on, would ground the space and add color. Loloi makes colorful rugs which are inexpensive; they are art for the floor. I would lower the artwork, as groveraxle did in the renderings. Artwork should usually be hung at fifty-seven inches center from the floor; if that is too high, lower your painting to about six inches above the top of your sofa. I would also move the painting slightly off center toward the left, to balance the lamp. If you place your two throw pillows together, one overlapping the other, on the right side of the sofa, the look will be more pleasing and cohesive. Small end tables, at the left end of the sofa, and beside the chair would make the setting more comfortable. There are so many possibilities--porcelain garden stools, chrome and glass, Lucite, etc. You could purchase a wooden tray , or a flat basket, and use your ottoman as a coffee table when you have guests. When you have a chance, it would be nice to see pictures of your dining room. Good luck in your new home; you are doing a great job decorating it!

Pajarito agradeció a thegypsyrover
  • Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I will lower the painting today, it's on the to do list. It does look much better lower! This room is rarely used as we have a great room, which also will be getting a makeover. In fact the whole first story of our house is. We are almost finished with the bathroom waiting for the roller shade to complete it and maybe a piece of art for the wall.

• Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Here's the image with the rug. I know it's small but it think I need something lighter and larger. It makes the room look heavy rather than airy and light which I am going for. Thoughts?

• Mark
    hace 8 años

I think a rug in soft greens and blues would compliment your style and fabric and art beautifully.

Pajarito agradeció a Mark
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

The brown rug is too dark. I like the room rugless.

Pajarito agradeció a groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

If you do a rug, maybe something like this:

But I still like the floor naked better.

• thegypsyrover
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hate to disagree, groveraxle, but a rug grounds the space. Your rug is not large enough. All of the furniture should be on the rug (or, at least, the front legs of the sofa.) Mark's rug is the better size.

Pajarito agradeció a thegypsyrover
  • Miranda Rose
    hace 8 años
    This white faux fur rug from Home Depo will keep the space light and bright without overwhelming it and this side table to left of the sofa with allow you to have a spot to set a drink. :)
    Pajarito agradeció a Miranda Rose
  • vickicz
    hace 8 años
    Groveraxle's rendering without the rug is perfect. Don't cover up the floors!! Add a plant for warmth.
    Pajarito agradeció a vickicz
  • Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Here is an image with a rug that is from the library/office. I know it's too small and I forgot to put the ottoman back in the room. Thoughts with a lighter color or still bare ?

• Bea Parker
    hace 8 años
    I like this rug (if it was bigger). Or a similar rug with a bit of light color. I like stripes and could see Mark's or some other pale striped rug too.
    Pajarito agradeció a Bea Parker
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

I think that last rug one size larger would be perfect, Twofishes. If you do a rug, I'd like to see floor all the way around. I also think the room could use two little pops of red to complement the green.

• Mark
    hace 8 años

I definitely think the room needs a rug of some sort. Here are two faux hide rugs. One is actually a soft blue with gold metallic. A rug this shape will still add some warmth and texture to your room without taking up a lot of floor space.

Pajarito agradeció a Mark
  • leelee
    hace 8 años

What is the rest of your room like? TV?

Seems like a coffee table would be more useful than an ottoman.

Could you switch walls with the sofa and the chair and art?

• leelee
    hace 8 años

Other pillows?

• Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

This room is a rarely used front sitting room, across the foyer from the dining room.The great room which opens into the kitchen is the main area that we use but we still don't have a TV downstairs. This room is not very large approx 13 x1 4. I was liking the Moroccan Trellis rug in there but it doesn't come in a size that will work. They are either smaller or much larger than the one I have. I do like the Lucite look, it's makes the space more open. Mark I am afraid my husband won't go for a cowhide even if it's faux. We both are vegetarians but I do like the irregular shape a lot, it adds interest.

• Pajarito agradeció a Mark
  • Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I do like the round shape!

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Hello Twofishes. I hope we're not too late to the rug party. Here are a few suggestions from our rug collection:

Good luck in your rug search!

This is Rug No.: 30045 08'01 X 10'04 with an Ikat Design

Rug No.: 50603 09'08 X 12'10 Oushak Design

Rug No.: 50729 09'03 X 12'06 Oushak Design

Rug No.: 80177 12'05 X 15'06 Transitional

Rug No.: 80130 08'02 X 09'06 Kilim

Pajarito agradeció a Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
  • katie_campbell920
    hace 8 años

I would definitely get two end tables with an accessory or two on each table.

Pajarito agradeció a katie_campbell920
  • Whitney Golden
    hace 8 años

Really cute room, I think a nice rug always makes a room feel more comfortable and inviting especially with a small space it could really help!

Pajarito agradeció a Whitney Golden
  • suezbell
    hace 8 años

I very much like the uncluttered look.

There are floor lamps that have a wooden table shelf about sofa arm height and, usually, another "shelf" (base) a few inches from the floor. These shelves are not so large that they beg for clutter to be put on them, however, these could both add lighting and make a place available to rest a book or coffee cup without bulky furniture making the room feel crowded.

I'd probably put the lamp you now have behind the chair and add a narrow wood magazine style side table on one side of the chair (angle might need to be changed a bit to do that).

Unless you feel a need to define the sitting area, I'd forget the rug unless and until you want one to add warmth to the room in the dead of winter. Some times a countertop high bookcase or dry sink -- wood to match the magazine table and, space permitting, at least foot deep shelves -- can help divide and define living/dining spaces without closing off the room and provide extra space for serving when entertaining and, if you add doors to the cabinet, can be used for out of sight storage.

If you decide to do anything with the bare wall visible between the sofa and chair, you might consider a single shelf with a hanging rod for displaying a throw that you could actually use on a chilly night as you curl up with a good book. As long as you limit what you put on that one shelf, the look would still be uncluttered and the shelf would be great for decorating for any holidays you celebrate the same way you'd decorate a mantel. In fact, you could even use a faux mantel to display a throw "in the fireplace", changing the throw and throw pillows with the seasons and/or your mood.

Pajarito agradeció a suezbell
  • Ann
    hace 8 años

I LOVE your minimal room. Posting to follow.

• Ann
    hace 8 años

Looks like Grover has lowered the art over the sofa a little. Thank you, Grover:)

Pajarito agradeció a Ann
  • Ann
    hace 8 años

Looks like you have both Grover and Mark visiting your room with their helpful renderings and helpful suggestions. Lucky you! I love it when that happens in my dilemmas! I love the direction both are going with rugs (the irregular shaped faux hide rugs and the latest one Grover is liking a lot). Both of those options look really nice!

Pajarito agradeció a Ann
  • Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I lowered the painting and picked up this little table this afternoon. I kinda like it. Thoughts ?? I tried it next to the couch and it was to tall or just didn't work. I still think a rug can pull it all together. Sorry, the photo is grainy, shooting in low level light.

• Pajarito
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

nycsnowbird Great rugs on the Loloi website, thanks.

• Miranda Rose
    hace 8 años
    I like the side table. Another thought is live in the space for awhile and eventually worthwhile art or antique or designer pieces will come to you. It looks great now and in the future you can have a very high end home.
    Pajarito agradeció a Miranda Rose
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

I like the table, but I'd try it on the other side of the chair. Put the lamp either behind the chair or behind the sofa. It looks odd and unbalanced where you have it now.

• Ann
    hace 8 años

I like the table and I like the lowered art:)

Pajarito agradeció a Ann
  • treeclimber5
    hace 8 años

All I would need is a throw for the chair. Would add some texture :D I like the floor naked too.

Pajarito agradeció a treeclimber5
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.