Houzz Logo Print
alplily

Condo is a beige disaster

alplily
hace 11 años
Hi there... I will soon be moving into a condo that is completely, utterly beige. The wall-to-wall carpet is beige, trim is beige, counters are beige, walls are light beige. I will not have much of a decorating budget, so other than adding colorful area rugs, throw pillows, art, slip covers, etc., does anyone have creative ideas? (photo shows previous owner's furniture... yep, it's BEIGE). I think it would help to at least paint the trim white?

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Belfry Designs Custom Carpets
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Add a shaped colorful rug. In a few colors or one really bright one. Would love to help you. Belfry Designs Custom Carpets
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 11 años
    Yes, it would definitely help to paint the trim white. Your art is too small and hung too high, so I would acquire a large art piece and create a collage of all your art on the wall over the sofa, starting the grouping at 6" above the sofa.

But first, I would paint that wall a clay tone that works with your sofa. That color might be Sherwin-Williams SW6347 Chrysanthemum. Pick up some samples in the clay family and see what works best.

You mention area rugs, but I think you'd be better off using one large rug in this room. I'd select something that has the clay color in it along with other colors which will give you guidance for pillows. Here's a possibility from Crate & Barrel.
    Gianni Rug · Más información
  • alplily
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks, all! I think I am on the right track. I should tell you the art on the walls is not mine either. Not at all my taste (also belongs to the previous owner)! I am an artist, as was my Mom, and have some large pieces (paintings and fabric-based multi-media) I can place on the walls, and some 18 x 18s that can be arranged in 3s and 4s, so they look unified. I will have to post some before/after shots in a few months. I am also planning to replace the window treatment with something airier... a breezy white linen, perhaps.
  • alplily
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Furniture is not mine, either...
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I agree with adding some colors. Any shade would be fine. Here is an example from one of my favorite designers "Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.".

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · Más información
  • PRO
    A Class Above Home Rehab
    hace 11 años
    Hi there! I completely understand your dilemma and here's what I think. YES, paint the trim white! The only problem will be that up against those walls, the trim will get lost...so paint the wall with the glass door a dark accent color to really make your trim pop and give your walls some color without having to spend $ to paint the whole place. Then add color accent decor like the colors Belfry Designs showed above. Here's a couple of color themes you could go with to add to your existing beige.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    hace 11 años
    Don't know your furniture, so I would suggest as above one large colorful patterned rug of your choice. Add complimentary patterned, stripes, etc. colored pillows to your furniture, and add very large pieces of art and groupings of large pieces..& maybe a large mirror somewhere. From those choices select a color hue for your walls. Always choose wall color last. and be sure to paint 2 coats from a sample on large poster boards to move around the room to see if the color really works in your room. Add large end tables, large tall lamps. You have so much volume in the room that if you only decorate the bottom third it will look "off" to the eye.
  • alplily
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Yes, the height of the room will be a challenge. Appreciate the choose the wall color last tip! Great advice. The rug will be key...
  • alplily
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I really like apple/pear green, so that will likely be an accent color, if I can make it work with the beige.
  • kristheot
    hace 11 años
    What about bright colored trim? I saw some great ideas in this blog post:
    http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2013/01/painted-mullions-trim/
    But I would suggest hanging your art first. A contrasting trim would bring attention to your door and windows, and you may prefer the attention to be on your paintings and fabric art.
  • Jean Tuck
    hace 11 años
    Walls light cream, white ceilings and wall of windows , with light cinnamon drapes to secure iron artwork.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    White trim, and an apple green wall should work well for you. I'm delighted to hear that you are an artist with good sized art to go on those walls.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.