jtxander

Landscaping help.

Juan Treviño
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

My Tudor Revival home has nice landscaping, anyone have any ideas to make it better? I love boxwoods and would like to plant those, however, I'm not sure how to incorporate them with what I currently have. I'm also interested in adding large leaf hostas. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Maybe boxwoods around the flower bed here?

Comentarios (19)

• Juan Treviño
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for the examples. I appreciate it. I was thinking of expanding it around the corner to the left, but wasn't sure because of the flower box on the casements. I think I'm going to however since that space isn't really used too much.

• hopedrogers
    hace 8 años

Reduce the lawn area by putting in a grand entrance 3 to 5 feet wide walkway, possibly create a curved walkway, with a large bed on both sides minimum 3 feet wide. The home desperately needs trees away from the house. You could do a trio of birch trees or a single tree that has beautiful structure.

Juan Treviño agradeció a hopedrogers
  • brita
    hace 8 años

The style of your home would look good with English style cottage gardens and herbacious borders. Wider beds with plants of different heights, textures and colours. Have fun exploring all the wonderful gardens in England. You can find loads of examples.

Juan Treviño agradeció a brita
  • grandmariver
    hace 8 años

W Brown - The third picture you provided in your comment - What is that gorgeous flower with the hosta? I'd love to try that combination in my own garden.

Juan Treviño agradeció a grandmariver
  • chercove
    hace 8 años

Desperate need of some large trees and the planting beds should round the corner of the home to soften the hard edges. Hostas are a lovely choice in some of bedding, accented with some of your favorite colored ornamental plants, perhaps New Guinea Impatiens. Remembering that those are shade loving plants so dependent of the houses orientation to the sun.

Juan Treviño agradeció a chercove
  • W
    hace 8 años
    Probably dianthus.
  • Norma Sassone
    hace 8 años

The chimney and the two sides of your doorway need something flowering and climbing for the English cottage style: pink floribunda roses, or white evergreen clematis.

Juan Treviño agradeció a Norma Sassone
  • paslater
    hace 8 años

Plant the hostas on the shady side of the house. Also, what about some bushy hydrangeas? I would plant an oak or other big, deciduous tree on the sunny side for shade in the summer but light in the winter. You have a lovely house!

Juan Treviño agradeció a paslater
  • User
    hace 8 años

Big classic oak tree 20 - 30 ft. from the sunbaked wall. White oak, Scarlet oak, Willow oak...

And a carefully mixed shrub/perennial border to shield your garden from the streets. Not to obscure, just make it feel cozy.

Juan Treviño agradeció a User
  • lake1114
    hace 8 años

I think you need some taller shrubs closer to the house and boarder your beds with some type of bright flowering annuals. I agree with widening and expanding your beds. The definitely need color. You can also try azaleas and hydrangeas shrub roses etc. Love your window box it is beautiful. Good luck.

Juan Treviño agradeció a lake1114
  • diyer59
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

You have small plants in small beds, with a huge home, they are dwarfed. Go big! Bigger plants and beds and do add edging to the beds.

Also, hostas require mostly shade, they would go well under a nice size tree, not out in the blazing sun.

Suggestions: research larger trees (keep away from foundations & major water/sewer pipes) and shrubs for height and color features (not only flowering but leaf color). Take for example a "Smoke Bush"--great deep burgundy color, would look great against the brick background. Add more plants and do try some English Ivy (excellent for climbing up a large brick wall--adds beautiful color in fall.

Juan Treviño agradeció a diyer59
  • Juan Treviño
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks all for the comments. Very helpful! I have much to do for the start of next year.

• kellyvorbroker
    hace 8 años

what is the square of brick on the chimney? i think i would plant something that would cover that. it looks like a window or something used to be there. other than that, i agree with others to expand the beds to go around the house. keep the edging line flowing so that it is easy to mow - no sharp turns that would require a weed eater.

• PRO
    Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
    hace 8 años

Love your beautiful house! I agree with the
    other comments, you could make the existing beds bigger, this will give you
    more room to add larger shrubs.

Looking at your existing plants, I get the
    impression your garden is sunny and fairly hot, so I'd go with plants that love
    the sun.

You could place some larger shrubs at the
    rear of the bed near the house, for example, Green Mountain
    boxwood which grows to about 3 feet tall. For variety, add some flowering
    shrubs such as Potentilla which has pretty golden flowers and grows about 3
    feet tall. If you love butterflies (and who doesn't?) plant a few buddleia
    bushes. Some varieties are fairly small such as Buddleia 'Buzz Midnight'.

Once you have decided on your shrubs,
    choose some plants to put in front of them. Coreopsis would be perfect. They
    are perennial plants which means they come back every year, saving time and money.
    Lots of different colors to choose from - 'Pink Sapphire' would blend nicely
    with your existing pink flowers, or go for a bright contrast with
    yellow-flowered 'Moonbeam'.

Hostas don't like a lot of sun, some
    heat-tolerant varieties are 'Hosta Plantaginea' and 'Hosta Sun Power'. Try and
    plant the hostas where they get morning sun, not afternoon sun because morning
    sun is less hot. You could also add a 'soaker hose' to keep the soil moist
    around them.

One thing to consider is maintaining the
    beds. After planting, apply an organic fertilizer and add mulch (no more than 2
    inches deep). You could also add an 'edger' around the edge of the beds to keep
    the mulch in place and stop grass growing into the bed. For your beautiful
    brick house you could use something like a stone edger for that classic look,
    here's an example.

Happy gardening- I'm sure the flower beds
    will look fabulous!

• morrisethannah
    hace 8 años

Old style but cool...

• Juan Treviño
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    @kellyvrobroker, the square in the middle of the chimney is just a design in the brick. There is a working fireplace inside.
  • Juan Treviño
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    @Dreamscape, thank you for the compliment on the house as well as your input on the garden, it is greatly appreciated! I can see that I have some work to do!
  • PRO
    Lawns and Beyond
    hace 8 años

Good luck! Love your house.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.