Houzz Logo Print
anne_thomas1509

Historic Home, Lighting Dilemma

Anne Thomas
hace 8 años
Hello, we are renovating our 1870s Italianate flat front row home in Washington, DC. The living and dining room are open to each other and the house only came with one chandelier with plaster Victorian ceiling medallion in the dining room. We find the living room to be dark in the evening and were hoping to install another light fixture in the living room. So we need another ceiling medallion. This is the dilemma. Getting an exact plaster replica is not in my budget. But the plasterer says he can make me something similar but not exact, within my budget (those are the photos attached). If we do that should I go for something totally different or a medallion similar in size and style to the original? Another option is ordering a polyurethane similar medallion online. Houzz has some good ones, but I am wondering if once painted the finishes will look dissimilar since the original is made of plaster? So the question is: do we put in a medallion at all and if so do I pay an arm and a leg for a plaster one or go with a poly one? Thanks for your feedback and interest.

First two photos are plaster options. Third photo is the original dining room medallion. Last photo is from the dining room toward the living room where we would like to install a light fixture.

Comentarios (5)

• Melissa
    hace 8 años
    How far are the two lights from each other? Are they in the same room?
  • Anne Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    It is like one large room with two separate uses: living and dining. The entire space is approximately 22x 14. There are two fireplaces in the space.
  • PRO
    Wall Creations by Mimi
    hace 8 años

I just came across your question-apologize the timing is off, but you would be fine buying the poly one. Once painted it will be almost indiscernible.

• PRO
    Razzetti Italy
    hace 8 años

• PRO
    Razzetti Italy
    hace 8 años

Made in Italy, and cheap

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.