Houzz Logo Print
aldimm

Vanity top side backsplash question

Diane Miller
hace 8 años
I just had a Corian vanity top with a straight edge installed. The vanity is in the corner of the room. The 3 1/2" high backsplash lines up with the edge of the vanity. The side backsplash is 1/4" in from the front edge. Shouldn't this line up with the front edge same as the back lines up with side edge?

Diane
dmill@goeaston.net

Comentarios (19)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    Yes ,have it redone
  • PRO
    Carpenters Cabinetry and Millwork
    hace 8 años

This is a normal detail on corian installation. Gwen Klein Interior Design Explains why great.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I would have that removed and use an interesting tile for a backsplash.

• lefty47
    hace 8 años

HI -- It is fine the way it is and is supposed to be like that . It looks like it was a proper install . I like the fact that you used the same material as the counter top for the backsplash -- that is the modern way of doing it today .

• PRO
    Gwen Klein Interior Design
    hace 8 años

Tile backsplashes can be fun but also tricky. You have to contend with finishing off the grout lines someway. I don't know what Diane is planning for the rest of the room, or which bathroom it is, but the cabinetry and choice of Corian looks traditional and elegant. An interesting tile might ruin the effect she's going for.

• PRO
    InterMix Interiors
    hace 8 años

I agree with the comments above. The use of a tile splash instead of the counter material is much more sophisticated and gives a custom look.

• mahoa
    hace 8 años

have four bathrooms in my house. All of the back splashes and vanity tops meet and are flush. No gaps. One less little niche to have to figure out how to keep the dust from accumulating.

• sweetkeight
    hace 8 años

It only looks 'funny' to a few people. Depends on the people? I wouldn't have had the side splash installed and would have used just the standard back splash directly behind the faucet. Don't worry about what other people think. If you want that 1/4 inch then you'll have to ask and hope for a redo. Otherwise, just come to enjoy your new countertop as it is. :)

• Pamela Fatone
    hace 8 años

It was done correctly for a Corian install. BUT I , this is me, like the tile idea, as I am anal,and the gap would drive me crazy, using tiles, hides this and as mentioned above, as a slice of sophistication. Its personal.

• PRO
    Heartland Homes Construction Inc.
    hace 8 años

i agree it is installed correct, no reason to look twice at this spot.

if you consider tile or another material the other material needs to work with the whole room. i like my faucet to be the main focal point!

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

I agree with the posters who have more knowledge on this subject. To leave it as is. You are being too picky, I think. Sorry.

• jeffax
    hace 8 años

Some say tile, some say leave it and stop being picky. There is a third option though....
    You could always just fix it.
    (Just fyi, I'm a contractor, I just didn't feel the need to register as one on here...)

As others have said, your side splash is correct. Mostly anyway... By that I mean that, although it should be back enough to clear the eased edge, it does look to me like it's back a bit further than necessary. That's because it was cut just a bit to short though, and there's clearly nothing you can do about that. Having that and the other one not match would drive me crazy though. I'd see it every single day. Forever. I'm just that way... Details matter. And it sounds like you're of the same opinion. So, your option now is to make them match, and there are a couple ways that you can go about that.

Your BEST option is to call the installers back and have them fix it. (I would definitely go that route first, for many reasons.) Those are typically held in place with silicone and they will come off the wall again if given enough effort. (And sooner is better!) This will likely damage the wall a bit, but that will be covered again once they're put back, so don't worry about it. (Just don't rip the paper further up than the top edge of your backsplash, obviously.)

If you're doing this yourself:

Typically the back piece (the length of the counter) is installed first and the side piece butts up to it. You might be able to fix this without removing the side, depending on how careful and patient you are. Might as well give it a shot....

Remove the back piece and slide it out from behind the side piece. Now you need to essentially shorten that, but I wouldn't try it without the proper skill set and tools. What you can do instead is to carve out some of the drywall back in the corner so that when you put this backsplash back in place, it essentially slides IN to the drywall, thereby enabling you to place it so that it matches the other one. Be careful carving out that recess and make sure that the top edge of it is a nice clean cut. If you do that one tiny part successfully, then this will all disappear and nobody will even be able to tell what you did!

Scrape the old silicone off the back of the backsplash first, and then (carefully) carve out that recess. Dry-fit the backsplash numerous times, if you have to, until you're happy with it. Now apply new silicone, put it in place, and walk away. Come back tomorrow and caulk all of the seams.

If you have to do this yourself, it'll take a little while. It's not hard at all though and your attitude while doing it will have more effect on the finished product than the difficulty level will. In the end though, they'll now match and you won't have to be upset about it every day for years to come!

(I know a lot of people who read this will think that that last statement is dramatization, but things like this really do bug some people that badly, and I'm one of them!)

Hope this helped. Cheers!

• PRO
    Eileen Kenah- Keller Williams Experience
    hace 8 años

One of the things I like about our corian vanity top is the integrated backsplash. There are no seems for gunk to get caught in. I'm surprised the contractor did not suggest this.

• aleonito
    hace 8 años
    On the one hand I do agree that this is a small thing. But for the life if me a cannot understand why this is a correct installation of the corian back splash. I read every explanation from contractors who responded, but to me it does look like a part that wasnt measured right. Sorry guys. You must know your trade, and there sure is an explanation, but you must also know a way to avoid the gap. It's not about being anal or fixated in mundane details. Its about taking full responsibility for quality of your work. And possibly an ability to convey to the client how they should expect their bathroom to look.
    That's why I liked the in depth explanation of the commenter just before me, giving clear instructions how to fix that. I think the OP could give this instructions to their contractor.
    And I absolutely don't get the explanation "it will be to rough"? Any edge can be smoothed out or filed, and having this gap - however small - is actually more reason for potential hazard.
    To the OP - talk to your contractor, but be nice, be flexible, since it seems to be a "common way to install the backsplash".
  • Diane Miller
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    My backsplash has been replaced to line up with the front edge if the vanity. The Company was very accommodating and I am a very satisfied customer now that it has been redone. It looks so much better.
  • PRO
    Carpenters Cabinetry and Millwork
    hace 8 años

@aleonito DuPont Corian Requires the fabricators and installers to be trained and Certified to install this product so the warrantee is not voided so the contractors recommendation above is not good. Corian expands and contracts as all materials installed into houses. I build things and have things installed in my own properties and don't dwell or sweat the small industry standard details because I'm outside making memories with my children and family.

I myself have installed over 600 lineal feet of corian per year for the last 8 years and never once had a client complain about my standards set forth in every product I install and I have seen splashes set flush and people also don't like this because of the gap created in the face.

• jeffax
    hace 8 años

@Carpenters Cabinetry and Millwork - Yep, you're right, she'd be voiding the warranty. I was approaching this from the "if it were my problem" perspective and, if it was, I'd fix it without thinking twice. So the thought of warranty actually didn't even cross my mind. My bad. But seriously though, how many warranty issues have you seen in your 8 years? Especially in bathrooms where the counter top doesn't get the abuse that a kitchen counter would. I'm betting it's not many... I can only recall one warranty call in the last 10 years and that was for a crack that had developed outward from the front corner of a gas cooktop. (Admittedly, I don't have nearly as much experience with it as you obviously do...)

As I said in the previous post though, the problem exists because the side piece was cut to short and calling the installers back should be the homeowners first move. Asking for a new side piece that's the correct length is entirely within reason.

That said, if they refuse, I'd still just fix it myself (if it were my house). It's not difficult to do and, in a bathroom, I personally wouldn't be concerned about the warranty. But that's just me...

• potterford
    hace 7 años

We're just now facing this same issue. Our backsplash is about 1/4" away from the curved part of the edge; just plain looks like a stupid, careless mistake. Jeff, I truly wish you were my contractor . . . maybe next time :-)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.