Houzz Logo Print
lyracaluag

Photo Collection - Need Help!

lyracaluag
hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
I just recently hung the 6 black and white photos behind the knee wall behind the couch. But, I feel it still doesn't look right. Can anyone help why it looks off? Changes I thought in possibly making:

1. Placing a very narrow bench under the pictures.
2. Using frames that have a more narrow border.
3. Add a third row of pictures at the top.
4. Ditching this idea altogether by replacing it with one, large piece of framed modern art.

Or, should I leave as is?

Comentarios (24)

• Emily H
    hace 11 años
    I actually really like it, though it could be a tiny bit higher.
  • PRO
    Judith Taylor Designs
    hace 11 años
    That would have to be a very narrow bench for the door to open. There could be a bit more breathing space between the frames. I think what might be bothering you is that there doesn't seem to be anything else in the space which is that graphic. Can you repeat this black graphic elsewhere in the space? What about painting the door, or the cap on top of the ledge to underscore the display?
  • somalicat
    hace 11 años
    Hmmm. I'd be tempted to put up a "chair rail" below the photos in a pattern that repeats the wood trim of the half-wall just behind the sofa.
  • Jayme H.
    hace 11 años
    I like the way it looks
  • lyracaluag
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks everyone, for your wonderful input. I quickly photoshopped what a third row would look like. Is it too much or is it the missing link I've been looking for? (please excuse the terrible photoshop job!) :)
  • Jennifer Hogan
    hace 11 años
    We tend to stay safe, but safe isn't very interesting. When I glance at your photo I see 3 sets of 3 rectangles. The couch cushions and the two rows of pictures.

First thing that came to mind was an excel spreadsheet. I love black and white photos, but having different sizes and placing them in an interesting pattern would work better.

I also feel like the two spaces are disjointed. Instead of black frames and white mats around the black and white photos you may want to pull in some of the colors from the living area with wood frames and cream or tan mats.

Personally I would go with a large piece of art that pulls in the colors from the living space.
  • Andrew Tyrwhitt
    hace 11 años
    I really like it too! Maybe an orchid or plant for just a touch of colour.
  • Darzy
    hace 11 años
    I liked it the way it was. Hey...it could be fun to take a photo, scan it and do an iron on transfer and put it on a toss pillow for the sofa.
  • kimdee24
    hace 11 años
    I like it the way it is. Two rows of three.
  • mayamaya1
    hace 11 años
    I really liked the way it was.
  • larr
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Do what you like! Look at Pottery Barn online for ideas. If you're going to do a third row I would bring them all down some. Make sure the photos are something that is personal to you or else you will tire of it
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 11 años
    The subject matter is also full of rectangles, Jennifer, and 9 of them is really too much. Is the the only wall you have for artistic license?
  • Jayme H.
    hace 11 años
    I think the 2 rows look better, three gets too high up on the wall and looks too busy, in my opinion.
  • kobley
    hace 11 años
    I like 2 rows of 3
  • Guerrina
    hace 11 años
    If you pull up for another row at the top of the door frame, why not add a 4th row below? Make it a full wall "picture". Just a thought. A chair rail as mentioned the same height as the knee wall (?) below the pictures would be another solution.
  • olldroo
    hace 11 años
    I don't dislike the two rows, I think the problem is that normally these photos would be immediately above the lounge, the fact that they are set back because of the entrance way throws the depth of perspective out so the photos look smaller than they are. I would like to see one or two photos or paintings of a size to fill space the 6 photos take, that would visually bring them forward and more into the room.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 11 años
    Sorry, I was kinda replying to what Jennifer said, not calling you Jennifer, lyracaluag. When I saw it in print it looked like I was. I think you should try a slim floating shelf under three of the photos hung vertically one above the other with an inch or two of space between. They should be toward one end of the shelf, then add a tall simple floral arrangement (maybe Bittersweet) on the opposite side of the shelf. Use the other prints in a hall, bath, etc. Agree with previous poster that they need an inner mat with just a touch of your accent or sofa color to tie them to the room better.
    Foyer Remodel · Más información

Asian Entry · Más información

Portola Valley Residence · Más información
  • lauren beyda
    hace 11 años
    I like 2 rows. You can always switch around pictures-
    but hey heres an idea! how about making an H 1 vertical row on left of 3- next one in middle and then another vertical 3. Gives some dimension.
  • lauren beyda
    hace 11 años
    However ooldro is right- and decoenthusiaste has some great ideas!!
  • Jacqueline Pestano
    hace 11 años
    How abound some accent cushions to spread the theme around the space
  • susie77q
    hace 11 años
    Maybe at a sofa table with a nice bowl or lamp underneath them? Is that an entryway? You could tuck an ottoman or two small round ones under it (the table) for seating if that is a coat closet, for dressing?
  • PRO
    Hudiak Design Co
    hace 11 años
    I think it could be fixed by hanging them two columns of 3 vertically. I think the left most side of the collage is too close to the door is all. While also, I think adding a black and white print (front face) and a colored (back face) throw pillow will pull the collage into the room. Also, there is a lot of white. How about a coat of paint on the wall with the frames, the wall the door is on and the wall facing us in the picture which is part of the living room. Use a soothing grey and then switch out those frames with colored or patterned frames. POP! The room need somes texture, some surface change. Add texture and color with the paint, the frames and textured colored throws and a b&w throw on top.
  • PRO
    Hudiak Design Co
    hace 11 años
    AND paint the window wall as well. It may sound like a lot of work, but the impact will be tremendous!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.