Houzz Logo Print
kimcondemi

I need help deciding on a Fireplace Redo- Possible Tv Above...

Kimberly
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Hi!

I could really use some help/advice on what to do with my fireplace. My DIY'er husband mentioned that he would like to redo our fireplace. He thinks the brick is dated looking.

He's thinking of removing the brick and going with a different stone all the way up the wall. We wouldn't have a mantel anymore but we would still have a hearth.

He would like to place our t.v. above the fireplace because our current (and only choice) for t.v. placement is not fantastic as you can see in the 2nd photo.

My concerns:

Can we put a t.v. above the fireplace? Is it safe?

Helpful notes:

• The fireplace is gas
  • We like having the hearth to sit on.
  • Our favorite style is mid century modern
  • We also like transitional/contemporary style
  • We're trying not to break the bank
  • We would do this ourselves, my husband is a fantastic handyman

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My Current Fireplace/Living Room · Más información

Comentarios (13)

• Kimberly
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Thank you Matt, checking the fireplace is a good idea. It's gas so it should be okay, but I definitely want to know that it won't mess the t.v. up. Too bad it's 109 degrees here in Las Vegas though, turning on the fireplace is not going to be fun.

I appreciate your ideas!

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

You may want to think about installing some tile due to that heat.

Ceramic tile is a solar collector:

• Ceramic tile is an efficient solar collector, and one of the best floor coverings to install for that purpose.
    • In the winter, tile stores heat during the day and slowly releases it at night, warming your feet.
    • In the summer, tile defuses some of the sun's rays by absorbing heat. Then in the evening, ventilation carries the heat away, cooling the tile.
    • Consider installing tiles around wall heaters and radiators, around wood stoves, and under skylights to achieve the greatest benefits.
    • If you are installing tile primarily for solar heat benefits, the best substrate is a thick bed of concrete. However, even installed over plywood, tiles will store and emit heat to some extent.
    Kimberly agradeció a User
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

I have been to Fallon and Reno, NV in the winter. And it gets cold too! Kind of an extremist state as far as weather is concerned.

• Kimberly
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Matt, yes, it definitely does get cold..I wish it was cold here right now; it's so hot out!

Would I need to install tile on the floor if there is a hearth? Or just put tile on the hearth itself?

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

That's up to you. You have a raised hearth, right?

If you're going for tile, I would install on hearth and then about a foot and a half around floor.

I'm a tile guy, so if it was my fireplace, the first place I would start with tile would be inside the fire box itself. Ceramic is a good choice, because of like I said, its solar collector features. But granite or slate are great choices to wrap a fireplace in too. A travertine or marble herringbone looks great inside.

After you do the inside, then start on the hearth. Then, the filler panels and legs. (These are great areas for accent pieces such as profiles and/or listellos).

The header, you may want to bump out with some steel framing anchored into the brick with masonry fasteners. Or, you could just leave it flush. I like a characterized header.

Then there's the mantel, shelf and panel wall.

And don't forget the crown up top.

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

What colors do you like?

I think a nice, brushed forest green marble would look good on the hearth. Especially for detail, as far as the legs andcorners are concerned.

For accents, you can always tile, and then mortar over with the detailed piece. It makes for a nice bumped out build.

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Then, for the panel wall over the mantel. You could do a slate subway tile, or even a nice architectural facing.

And inside the firebox, you could use a tumbled 2x2 mosaic.

• Kimberly
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Matt, thank you for all the ideas. Since my post, my husband is second guessing putting the t.v. above the fireplace for several reasons. We may or may not redo the fireplace. We were considering a slate stone. For several reasons we will not redo the inside of the fire box.

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años
    You could always use a gallon of tinted masonry primer. Then tile when you get the money, and find the right facing.
  • PRO
    Victorian Fireplace Shop
    hace 8 años

I would think about covering the brick with the granite that's on the adjacent counter top. To further tie it in to the kitchen I'd run a small row of the glass tiles that are in your backsplash at the very top where the ledge is (ie, a 4" border).

• sofhie
    hace 7 años

go to ebay and buy a marble fire place is quite chep, and a fire fender ckck the sizes, another cheapper away strait away now is painting the brick white/ or ligth gray very ligth, until you find a beautifull second hand fire place, marble fire heart etc, look into ideias in pinterest as well..put some cornices on the wall as well top, make a dado rail divide the higth into 4 and put on one quarter of the wall not higher..paint the botton of the wall white and the top a sligth darker white( softh yellow or any colour you like...the ligther the best too much dark colour can be tiring..some cristal huge chandelliers and voila.. a georgian lounge... look n georgian rooms ideias as well good luck have fun...

• sofhie
    hace 7 años

ok for the tv is the best place for it as in the central, if still space add some ligths on sides so the tv will like a picture and some picture on top as well make it as a feture wall...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.