Houzz Logo Print
newton

Need help for country property front yard landscaping!

newton
hace 11 años
I live on 6.5 acres in the wine country (Sonoma County - California). We completely remodeled and rebuilt a small ranch house right before the market crash. The back of the property looks out to a one-and-a-half acre pond and although it needs work it's a lovely view. The front of the house is an entirely different story. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the front of the house since we remodeled. What landscaping/grass we have installed always looks unkempt partly because of what it is but also because the property is so big that it becomes impossible to manage given that my husband and I both work crazy hours and we have two children. It may not be clear from the photo but we have a circular drive with about 100 lavender bushes in the center (maintenance nightmare)!

The style of the house is modern country. I like grasses because they're clean and simple which I think would be a great foil for the house. I also love planting beds with traditional flowers and plants like heritage roses, hydrangeas (although the front gets hot afternoon sun), catmint, boxwood, lavendar etc. We definitely need hardscape. Since we're in the country I was thinking of a smaller sized pea gravel. I don't like asphalt or concrete. I will stain that awful front concrete walkway which was supposed to be brown but turned out pink. I would love any and all feedback.

I'm having computer problems and can't get my photos to load on iphoto so I'm just attaching what photos I have to give you an idea of site. Thanks so much!

Comentarios (17)

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 11 años
    Hi, I have loads of connections to landscapers in our area...I'm out in Forestville on the Russian River. Let me know if you need a referral? Seems like maintenance is a concern...have people for that too!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 11 años
    Oh, and about the gravel...Nun's Canyon decomposed granite is a local favorite. On the drive, it compresses to a hard almost asphalt surface while staying more permeable on walkways...but still firm enough not to cause problems with the random high heel....just want a flagstone walk-off area before you hit the front door. I'm sure you've seen its yellowish tint in local projects before. Bordered by local fieldstone from Canyon Rock at $40 per ton, it is a simple solution to some of your hardscaping issues. A trip to SBI in Windsor would help!
  • PRO
    Pamela Bateman Garden Design
    hace 11 años
    I, too, live on a large piece of property in the wine country of Northern California but I bet you haven't heard of it! The Capay Valley is a designated wine growing area of California. I grow hundreds of heritage roses around our farm house and would highly recommend growing some roses in your front yard. I hope the deer do not feed in your area or that would exclude the roses and many other plants. Yes, lavender does require a lot of maintenance if you have many of them. You should concentrate on flowering trees, shrubs and ground covers then add spots of flowering perennials and annuals. There are also many bulbs that we can grow in California and they require little maintenance after planting. ~To those of you that live in cold country we don't have to dig up our bulbs each year!~ Decomposed granite is the way to go as Ironwood Builders suggested. I find grasses require more maintenance than one would think. At the end of the season they need to be cut down to keep them looking tidy. Just a few grasses would be nice. Your climate zone is almost exactly the same as mine but we may get a little hotter in the summer. I am available for consultations if you are interested. Please see my web site.
  • newton
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thank you all for your comments. I am very open to working with someone but I'm gun shy. We did hire someone when we first moved in but the plan was so general that we never even used it. I'm very visual so this time around I'd like to see a visual representation/rendering of what the front landscaping would look like when it's all done and installed with a list of plants that would work. Ironwood Builders thanks for the recommendation of decomposed granite and local fieldstone as well as the source. I really appreciate it.
  • Karen Bumgardner
    hace 11 años
    I say "stop fighting the inevitable". Go natural. Grasses, roses. lavender. A real wild flowers look would go great with the house style with crushed rock as paths. Mix and match flowers . Better Homes and Gardens has lots of pics of that style on their website.No matter what you do you will have to have upkeep on such a large yard.Maybe its time to consider a gardener so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor
    newton agradeció a Karen Bumgardner
  • newton
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I think you're right. I will check out BHG. Believe it or not, we have a gardener. It's just a lot of property.
  • PRO
    Greenblott Design
    hace 11 años
    Hi Newton,

It looks and sounds like you have a large property to work with, which is great but can be very overwhelming. I would highly recommend taking a step back and develop an overall master plan for your property. Next, you can then develop your property in phases, ranking in what is most important to you as well as budget. Your style sounds modern and clean, but natural. Mixed grasses would work well along with mixed flowering and evergreen planting beds framed around your home. Think about a new pathway entrance with a natural stone paver. This would help pick up from the gravel idea you mentioned. You could then repeat and mix throughout the entire site where necessary.

Gather images that support your envisioned concept ...then make the move and call a professional.
    newton agradeció a Greenblott Design
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 11 años
    I'll have some design time available in the next few weeks. I'd be happy to sit down with you and look at your ideabooks and begin developing a plan. A field trip to some local suppliers will be informative too.
    newton agradeció a Ironwood Builders
  • PRO
    Monica Perrone Landscape Architecture
    hace 9 años
    Your project sounds intriguing and fun to me! I live on five acres in the Central Valley and I have worked in Napa. Also, a good friend who is a Landscape Architect like me resides in Sonoma. I work on projects of every scope, scale and budget and there is no financial commitment for an initial visit and interview. I am relatively new to houzz and I see that your last post was a year ago ... I love what I do and it would be a treat to learn more about your family's priorities and preferences. Let me know if you'd like to get together or if I can answer any specific questions.
    newton agradeció a Monica Perrone Landscape Architecture
  • Karen Bumgardner
    hace 9 años
    I think a landscape with bulb flowers in your barrels would be nice.Daylilies are a wonderful choice, they grow easily ,they can be evergreens, lots of differeny flower colors and styles nd hardly need any care. I would plant trees and kind of continue the park like aesthetics that you have going on in the back yard .Maybe islands of grass instead of so much grass. small bunchgrasses on the edges are nice look.Look into native plants, that's the way to go.Fruit trees are a good way to go.You gst something back from them and flower beautifully in the spring.Dont forget nature and add a water feature and a bird house or two.
    newton agradeció a Karen Bumgardner
  • Sierrafoothills
    hace 9 años
    I, too, live on property in Northern California. I totally see gravel in your driveway. We did concrete and wish we had done the gravel. It gives it such a quaint rural feel.
    newton agradeció a Sierrafoothills
  • newton
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    We ended up going with the gravel, pulled out a lot of the lawn, added perennials and an area with long grasses. I love it. I'm so happy I didn't do asphalt/concrete. It's hard to walk in heels but it looks so much better in that country estate kind of way. I'll post photos in the spring when things are greener. Thanks everyone!
  • PRO
    Fire Dancers Glass
    hace 9 años
    Water features are always nice. How about a fountain as a focal point?
  • Another Thyme
    hace 9 años
    A fence to define the area always completes the yard. In fact, to have a garden you need to begin with a fence. If you already have a fence in this yard try painting it white which always defines "country" living.
  • Karen Bumgardner
    hace 9 años
    Do you have some update pictures for us? it's springtime!
  • Melisa Goerndt
    hace 9 años
    Any pictures for us, it's springtime ?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.