Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: Where do you hide your laundry basket?

Houzz Polls
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Hampers are constantly full and not nice to look at! And It is always hard to find the best place to hide them! How do you all deal with your dirty laundry?

Vote now and tell us about it in comnents!

Other - Tell us about it below!

Comentarios (171)

• J K
    hace 8 años

Hi Helen--are your wire baskets removable? Would love to see a photo. We are finalizing our laundry room design and we are planning a cabinet with 6 larger wire baskets and two shallower for our various loads. I also don't wash until I have full loads. Sometimes I'll wash two smaller loads, like reds and darks separately, but then dry them together to save energy if I need the items sooner or if they must be washed (sweaty items, etc.)

• Cindy Dahlgren
    hace 8 años

The closet in my laundry room has a special niche that holds the baskets. On laundry day, the baskets come out and I sort everything. Lucky ot have a REAL laundry room with great storage.

• kathleen MK
    hace 8 años
    Well usually there is a basket or even two of clean clothes at the foot of my bed to fold. Empty baskets should be return to the top of the dryer. where you'll find someone left clean wet clothes in one and someone else's clothes in the dryer. While the owners of said loads squabble, hubby fumes where are all the baskets. They are probably in one of the kids rooms where dirty clothes are stored on the floor instead of the bathroom hamper. Of course that is so much better than having to put them in separate bags or baskets where you dirty clothes might touch your sibling's clothes basket. Currently I am bleaching the allegedly clean socks found in a basket in son's room, along the dirties that did make it to the hamper in their bathroom. I started with pillow cases and plastic trash cans in the hamper for them to separate darks and lights. I gave up on in forcing that since everyone does their own . so if if those tighty whiteys turn pink it is their own fault and anything left on the floor is fair game for mom if it wasn't pick it up before leaving for camp. hmm should I leave those wet socks in a basket?
  • N K
    hace 8 años
    we have hampers in our large walk in closets for each bedroom, I had a built in wire hamper placed in the closet when I put in a new closet organizer put in. Our laundry room is upstairs so real easy to take the clothes to it, and then put everything away after.
  • Lynda
    hace 8 años
    I struggled with this when we bought our house two years ago. No real laundry room - washer and dryer are in the attached garage, which is at the back of the house, while the bedrooms are at the front of the house. I wanted to put hamper in the master bath when we added it, but no space. I ended up getting a wheeled laundry hamper with 3-section divided canvas bag from The Container Store, which is in the master bedroom. Dirty clothes are sorted by color as they go in (whites, light colors, darks). I'd love to just wheel the whole thing from the bedroom to the garage on laundry day, but there are too many steps (up 1 step from bedroom to living room, down a step from kitchen to dining area, down another step to family room, down another step to garage). So I keep a plastic laundry tub in garage. On laundry day, I empty each load into it and carry to garage (and use to carry clean clothes back to bedroom). College age son has a wicker laundry basket in room that he carries to garage as needed.
  • odwyer
    hace 8 años
    My husband and I shower at night, and we just throw our dirty clothes on the floor. In the morning one of us scoops up the clothes and start the washing machine.
  • Helen Hardwick
    hace 8 años

Baskets are not on slides so they are easily removed. I believe I bought them at Get Organized.

• J K
    hace 8 años

Thanks Helen! I have a similar set-up in my current closet (our laundry room is just outside our bedroom). I got them at Lowes years ago, but I haven't seen any with glides that are still removable, except Rev-A-Shelf Hampers with the removable insert--either wire or canvas, but they are shallow from front to back and high, so it is difficult to arrange them the way you and I have them.

• Helen Hardwick
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I carried the measurements in my purse for several months before I found what I wanted. Of course if you are building new cabinets you could purchase the baskets and build the cabinets around them. Removable baskets make it easy to clean around and behind them.

• J K
    hace 8 años

That is exactly what we are doing--a custom 65" wide by 60" high and 18" deep sorting cabinet with six 30x16x11 wire slide-out bins (whites, lights, no softener lights, darks, heavy darks, reds) and two shallower 30x16x7 bins (hand wash/athletic apparel). The bins are not removable, but the washer is right next to the cabinet so clothes will go directly from a full bin into the washer. There will be enough clearance to dust the bottom of the cabinet easily. There will be built-in hampers in the master bath (lights and darks with a dry cleaning bin in the closet hall and a hamper in each of the kids' bathrooms.

• Jolene
    hace 8 años
    We have a wooden chest that is used as our laundry basket and it is in the bedroom.
  • User
    hace 8 años

Hallway linen closet holds 4 laundry baskets, labeled for separating. If a basket is full, time to wash.

• pk3824
    hace 8 años

We have a laundry chute! Love it. One opening in the bathroom on the main level and a second in the second story bathroom. It follows our old chimney and ends in our laundry room in the basement.

• Margaret Wakefield
    hace 8 años

I keep my dirty laundry in the laundry room. I purchased a 3 bin laundry cart, one section for whites, darks, and dry cleaning. It works for two people very well. I hang the ironed clothes on the bar on top and put them in the closets when I'm ready. I'm so grateful to have a large laundry room.

• User
    hace 8 años
    I also put dirty clothes directly into washing machine. When full, I pull out and sort and wash. My washer/dryer are behind doors off the kitchen so not visible. In a condo I have no place for a laundry basket.
  • Ingrid Argueta
    hace 8 años

We have a small house with one tiny bathroom, and tiny closets as well. Our laundry bins & hampers are in our "master" bedroom, and one bin in kids' closet.

HOWEVER, doesn't anyone have to SPOT or scrub the bottom of their kids socks, or scrub off spaghetti sauce, chocolate stains, dirt, or paint from preschool? ALL those clothes wind up in a bin in hallway next to our tiny bathroom, so I can spot/ scrub them in bathroom sink before laundering them, as I can. Unfortunately, I am usually very busy with 2 small children & working full time, so it piles UP, UP UP!

• deb
    hace 8 años

I had my handy man build me shelves--measured for the baskets to store on one, bottom one was for kitty litty hidden, top 2 were for storage stuff...next to it is a place for my small freezer then on top is a tension rod for hanging clothes then a wall with space for broom, vacuum etc.

• Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

Ingrid, I have a stick of "resolve stain stick" near my laundry basket (it's kind of like a glue stick, but for stains). As I see something has a stain, I rub it with Stain Stick and throw in laundry basket, so it's doing it's job while waiting to be washed. Works great. You could try it on smaller stains for the children's clothing. Hope this tip helps.

• Kate
    hace 8 años

Because my house was built in 1930, there's a small 10" x 10" door in my upstairs hallway and another in my kitchen, both of which send clothes down a laundry chute into a basket in the cellar near the washer. The only clothes basket I have upstairs is a tall wicker ironing basket I keep in the kitchen, ...right under the fold-down ironing board.

• PRO
    The Closet Monkey
    hace 8 años

It's great to keep baskets out of the way, wherever you can find space! It seems like these kinds of tilt-out and pull-out hampers work really well for our clients:

• J K
    hace 8 años

Love the idea of the tilt-out hampers--just seems like the double version doesn't hold very much. Are they removable? Are the slide-out versions removable or just the liner? One of my biggest challenges in our renovation is where we will store the dirty clothes in our master until they are transported to the laundry room or shirts/dry cleaning taken to the cleaners. Still like to pre-sort between at least darks and lights, if not darks, lights and whites. Plus a bin for the cleaners.

• Misty Brown
    hace 8 años

My wicker laundry bin has a cover, so I have never had issues with smells. Even still, the closet (my small walk-in, at least) seems like a very congested area to put dirty laundry and clean laundry. I just put mine in the bedroom against my dresser. The bin is designed as a half-circle shape, so it is flush against the dresser.

• mygdane3
    hace 8 años

In my bathroom in a hamper, I do not have an enclosed laundry room.

• Heidi Zagori
    hace 8 años

when not in use, I keep my laundry basket upside down on the balcony. this is partly because it's easy (the balcony is where I hang my clothes to dry) and partly because my dog is obsessed with it and will curl up in it if it's in the house. I don't really mind that but he sheds all over it so I have to wash it before every use if I don't hide it!

• nathan dalzell
    hace 8 años
    Well served by having them in the bedroom, bathroom and of course, the laundry. But do not like 'soiled' items in the 'fresh' space of a closet.
  • Peggy Hardinge
    hace 8 años

I have a decent size storage closet in the bathroom. I have 3 large plastic trash cans but took the swinging tent-like lids off to save space. Their colors are: white for whites, beige for light colors and dark green for darks. When full, each trash can equals a load. Family members disrobe and separate laundry into appropriately colored container right on the spot. I wait until one is full before doing that color load. This has been a flawless system for 20 years and a convenient way to teach family members how to easily help with sorting..

• doric8
    hace 8 años

I've lived in 2 older homes with laundry chutes to the basement! when I lived in an apt with a rather wasted hall space between the bedroom and the master bath, I had two wicker hampers in that hall space...

• User
    hace 8 años

One in the master bath and one in the laundry room (which is near the guest bath and the garage).

• pam
    hace 8 años

We've turned a small bedroom into a master bath....kept the closet which now shelves towels, sheets, and a laundry basket on wheels.

• jkstick
    hace 8 años
    I don't have one. We put our clothes directly in the hamper in the laundry area. It never overflows as I do a batch of laundry when it gets full.
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    hace 8 años

In the laundry room.

• lisaleger
    hace 8 años

Was excited to see the comments of this poll because as I suspected, few people do as I do. We put laundry under bathroom sinks and then cart them to the laundry room in a rolling cart. I dont mind sorting at that time because it gives me an opportunity to check for stains or missing buttons, etc. Kids kept laundry in bags in their rooms (mostly on the floor) and did their own. We also built a combination trash bin/laundry bin in the laundry room for kitchen towels, dog towels, whatever laundry gets produced around the house. Works for us!

• PRO
    The Organized Soprano
    hace 8 años

Mine has to live in my closet underneath some of my Elfa Drawers. It's the perfect spot!

• Lynne Mysliwiec
    hace 7 años

When I remodel the laundry room, I will
    1. Stack the washer and dryer
    2. Install a laundry tower that holds 3 laundry baskets for sorting clothes where the dryer used to be
    3. Add a broom closet.

• PRO
    Ovchinnikov Eugene N.
    hace 7 años

I pass it often and am reminded to throw in a load. When we remodeled, I wanted a chute but they do not meet our town's fire code.

• PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    hace 7 años

Keeping them in a guest bedroom is great when no one is staying there.

• PRO
    ldpram
    hace 7 años
    I'm fortunate to have a rather large towel/broom closet in my master bath. I have 2 laundry containers there that fit perfectly. one for lights and one for darks
  • PRO
    Abbott Matthew A Wood Floors
    hace 7 años

we renovated an old farm house, we have a laundry room, in the middle of the upstairs where all the bedroom are, its a drop off for all dirty laundry, works great, also we have racks for hanging clean and folding, after raising 6 kido;s, this works best

• PRO
    Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc.
    hace 7 años

Laundry chute.

• modlodgeluv
    hace 6 años

interim square basket in floor of hall closet opposite master bath. my laundry room is a large room in basement with stainless steel sink, rolling rack, steamer, shelving and folding table. my 2 large laundry baskets are side by side on the floor, one for light/white, one for colors. one square basket offside by rack for dry-cleaning. as it is a proper laundry room where i don't consider it an aesthetics-reliant space for others' eyes, i don't need to hide anything.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 5 años

I'm supposed to hide it?

• chinwoo
    hace 5 años

I have a utility closet in the laundry room, so that's where it goes until needed. You could place it on top of the washing machine, that's where it used to be placed in the good old days.

• J K
    hace 5 años
    In the closet hall, then sorted with clothes from my children’s hampers in their bathrooms.
  • Leeza
    hace 5 años

My husband has a two-bag rack in the master bathroom, and I have a three-bag one in the other upstairs bathroom that is used for the cats' litter boxes!

Mesh Rolling Hamper, 2 Bag · Más información

• teamaltese
    hace 5 años
    Our W/D is in our en-suite, the hamper for dirty clothes is kept in the linen closet, the hamper for clean clothes (we fold in the bedroom) is kept on top of the dryer. The hamper bag is in the wash.
  • Angel 18432
    hace 5 años

Is that upstairs. Do you have a drain in case a pipe bursts.

• PRO
    Steel Roots Home Decor
    hace 5 años

I love having mine in the closet. I don't have to go far to throw things in.

• User
    hace 5 años

I have an old house with one of the old fashioned metal hampers built in to the wall behind the bathroom door. At first I hated living in an old, unrenovated place but lo and behold it makes a lot of sense. It never tips over and never gets dirty or smelly. The hinged top opens so you can drop clothes in. And then you open the door when you are ready to do laundry.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.