Houzz Logo Print
lonsberrys

Darken my kitchen cabinets

lonsberrys
hace 8 años
I have an all wood ash kitchen cabinetry. It is presently a golden wood stain colour. I want to change them to a dark rich colour (haven't found exact colour name yet). What is the best way to do this? What products are best and technique?

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    hace 8 años
    are you diying these yourself
  • jhmarie
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The very best way would be to strip, re-stain and refinish. It is not expensive, but takes a lot of time and a lot of work - I am doing mine right now, though not darker. You could check into seeing how much it would cost to have done.

I have seen on the Internet tutorials where people sand the surface and use General Finishes Java gel stain. This does not require the total stripping. I am not sure of how good these results are in reality. Others have sanded and applied Miniwax Polyshades in a dark color - again I am unsure of the reality of the results - both the Polyshades and the gel stain have the potential to look like an amateur job because they don't really re-stain the wood. Gel Stain and polyshade tutorials can be found online. To get the best wood look, I would consider a total refinish.

From the picture, your cabinets look very nice, so consider carefully. Test any ideas out on the backs of doors - preferably ones high up and rarely used.

• miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    I have stripped and refinished a few small pieces of furniture, I found it messy, smelly and ... Well,,,, time consuming. I applaud anyone that tackles doing their cabinets but I personally would live with them until I could afford to have it done for me! Just so daunting.
  • PRO
    Touch of Class Fine Finishing
    hace 8 años

We often tone the cabinets of our customers who want to go darker. We warn them they will lose some of the grain but they don't mind and we get good results.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.