Houzz Logo Print
nkoticha

Rug size dilemma

nkoticha
hace 8 años
They don't carry 6*9. Only 5*8 or 8*10. Does 5*8 look too small or incorrect from esthetic sense? Please advice.

Comentarios (38)

• miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    Ditto
  • PRO
    cg interiors group
    hace 8 años

Move the rug to the right and out a bit so that it centers on the empty floor space created by your sectional, then see what you think. You may be able to get away with it, depending on the layout of the rest of the room.

• Avery
    hace 8 años

Yes agree with Karen (like usual)....love the sectional and rug btw!

• Miranda Rose
    hace 8 años
    Yes. Go larger.
  • nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Pushed it out a bit to the right. Also attaching pic of the whole room. Please
    Advice on what you think
  • User
    hace 8 años
    You can get a custom rug cut to the size you need. It is not too pricey and will fit your space. Stark, Merida are both good choices.
  • kittnkaboodle
    hace 8 años
    Nice sofa! I would go bigger on the rug though.
  • Avery
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Looks a little better pushed to the right...but I still think a bigger rug is the way to go.

Looks like an 8x10 would work in your space....especially if the rug sits under about 1/3 of the love seat/sofa portion of your sectional.

• Miranda Rose
    hace 8 años
    I agree with Avery. I'd also like to see a coffee table.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

Push the rug back under sofa at least halfway under or to back legs. Are you adding any chairs to the area or ottoman?

• User
    hace 8 años

Looks better but agree you should get the 8 x 10 if it is available. You will be glad that you did. Love the colors in your room.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

TO me, it looks like it is waiting for another piece of furniture. You guys are the experts, but looks odd to me. Explain to me why you would have all that rug out there with nothing on it. And a larger one? I'm serious. Fill me in.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Are you recommending a larger one so that the entire sofa fits on it? Front, back and sides?

• Dani
    hace 8 años

definitely go for the 8x10. the larger rug will help to define the living room space. the rug doesn't have to go all the way to the back of the sofa, but it should be wider than the sofa and all front legs should be on the rug. If you don't want the sofa to sit entirely on the rug, then it should go at least halfway back of the seat.

• nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I live in the city and the living room isn't that big, plus the fire place being across
    From the staircase makes it difficult for furniture placement. I could put the sectional in the middle of the room to create walking space behind the couch to go up and down the stairs. Rightnow, we go
    Around the couch. However, placing couch in the middle
    feels I will split the room and make it look even smaller. Also have a 3 year old who plays there all the time considering no basement this is the best open space he has got. I have an yellow accent chair that you would see in the pic. It does feel I need everything t ms till make it cinematographer.
  • nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I meant to say come together. I have a glass dining coming with white chairs and we plan to order a white leather bench soon.
  • nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Do you think I need more seating in the room like another accent chair?
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

I like the yellow chair, but think it needs to be part of the group. Bring it over to left of sofa. Another chair would be good, If you get the larger rug place the current yellow chair on corner of rug on right of sofa and maybe another on the left. Do you have room for it with the dining set there?

Something like this

• Avery
    hace 8 años

@nkoticha,

I like the layout you have now....just needs a few tweaks.....and a larger rug will help to fill in and better ground the seating area for you.

Really, space doesn't need much more.....

Contemporary Family Room · Más información

My Houzz: Chic Meets Whimsy in Vancouver · Más información

• Avery
    hace 8 años

If you'd like more seating, you could add a 2nd (matching or complementary) chair on the other side of the fireplace.

OR....because of your little one, instead of a bench, you could do add 1-2 poufs.

Betsy Burnham · Más información

Fresh Family Room · Más información

• nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Will get the bigger rug for sure. There is space
    For another chair and bench is for the dining not for living area. I was going to hold off
    On another chair until complete rest of the things and see if there is a need. I fell it might be too much of seating things with so many chairs and big sectional and bench, etc. I am not much into coffee table and was thinking to get two small single seater type ottoman that I can use to put feet up
    Or convert to another seating when I have a big party.
  • Avery
    hace 8 años

Yes I agree...although you have space for it, your living area really doesn't "need" more seating....of course, unless you see a need for it.

Oh and so sorry....also thought you were talking about adding a bench in your living room, not dining.....my misunderstanding....although I do like the idea of adding pouf(s). :-)

Or, also like your idea of adding ottomans to play double duty as your "coffee table" and for extra seating. Ottoman styles like the ones below offer some storage and "tray" options too (and come in other colors as well).

Avery's pics · Más información

• PRO
    Inspired Closets of Greater Boston
    hace 8 años

I would recommend going larger so that the couch is fully on it.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Just an fyi, I have the chair above I posted in an armless slipper chair and I love it. It is well made comfy and was a snap to put together. I cannot find the slipper chair now but it goes great with greys white and yellow. It is not a bright yellow, but more of a golden. Chair is 24" wide and 31" deep $161.00

• nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I will hold on to adding another chair for now. Can I get the link to grey ottomans? Where can I buy them? Or
    What are they called?
  • Avery
    hace 8 años

Hi, yes here's the link...they are from Crate and Barrel:

http://m.crateandbarrel.com/stash-grey-storage-ottoman/s256149

• OldGrayMare
    hace 8 años
    You've got enough dark gray in there already. Think those square ottomans will just either look chunky or like too matchey-matchey. How about something like this? Cushion is removable for when you want to use the ottoman as more of a serving surface.
  • OldGrayMare
    hace 8 años
    Oops... Pix not attaching.
  • nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Okay so coming back to the rug question just wanted to throw it out there for another poll. With 8x10 we will end up putting a lot of part of the rug under the couch. I am not a big carpet type of person like wood and more exposed wood to me rug is another decorative item larger rug will require more maintenance with cleaning and all the dirt it will collect under the couch but at the same time didn't want it to look stupid by putting small rug if it needs big rug. Also 8x10 doubles the price I have paid rightnow and also mainly it will cover the chaise part of the couch that the current rug doesn't. I saw several pics with similar small rugs with chaise couch and thoughts after all if I really should go with larger couch?
  • nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Couple more
  • jck910
    hace 8 años

I agree that your recently posted pictures have smaller rugs, but do you see that the rug and sectional are close in color? Yours is very high contrast so it makes the smallness more noticeable.

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

Have you thought about just getting another rug in the size you need. I like the sofa

In a 6/9?

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

• nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Okay we will look for another rug in 6x9 while we order 8x10. If I can't find anything I love will go 8x10. I am planning to change the color of the living room to a cooler tone light grey/taupe. The color rightnow is very redish toned beige. Also in the dining accent wall they had painted dull green this is from previous owner. Can you recommend any colors for the room? So far I have BG revere pewter, SW amazing grey or anew grey that I am going to sample.
  • User
    hace 8 años
    Why not get a rug made to the size you need? Any good design shop can source you a reasonably priced rug, and have it bound for you. It would look so much better than trying to buy something site I seen off the Internet.
  • nkoticha
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Will look into it.
  • Farid Yadegar
    hace 8 años

6x9 is a good choice if you think 8x10 will go under the couch more. But with larger area rug, it also makes the room feel more cozy and spacious. We do custom rug too by the way! Made to your size :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.