Houzz Logo Print
rickee54

I am desperate for advise on the color of my kitchen island. HELP!

rickee54
hace 8 años

I am desperate for advice on the color of my kitchen island.
This is not the green color I was going
for, but we are past the point of whose “fault” it is. The island has been
painted and it is what it is unless we are willing to pay the costly price of having
it re-sanded and re-painted. The whole
kitchen remolding project has come to a screeching halt because I am at a loss
as what to do now. I must decide if I am going to keep the island as is, or even
though we are already over budget, should I just decide I cannot live with this
costly mistake and have a do-over. The counters are Quartzsite and have a
beautiful green hue. Cabinets are white and the floors are a very dark wood. My
kitchen is not very big and the kitchen island is small. have seen pictures of kitchen
islands this color and I liked it but since I was planning on painting the
island more of a dark hunter green, it’s hard to get pass the color. Although some days I feel the color is adorable. Go figure. I am
trying to accept the color (mainly because of the money thing) and I found some
nice green glass tiles to use with the white subway backsplash. I thought I
could use just two or three rows of it around the kitchen to pick up the color
of the kitchen island . . . you know, like I meant to have the island painted that
color. My husband is being a doll about it and agreeable to any decision I make
but he wants a decision like yesterday. Any feedback would be so appreciated. PLEASE
HELP!

Comentarios (41)

• lefty47
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

HI -- Getting tiles to go with that green would be a big mistake because the tiles are going to be there for a very long time . At least you can re-paint the island in time . I would do the change now despite the cost or your never going to be happy with the kitchen . It will cost more to change later on. You will actually save by doing it now . Do not compromise your original plans !! Contractors always make it seem like fixing or changing things is a big deal because they hate fixing or re-doing things .

rickee54 agradeció a lefty47
  • PRO
    Dwell Interior Staging and Redesign
    hace 8 años

Depending on the other selections in the kitchen, this island could very well be "adorable" as you mentioned. If you keep it green, I'd go with silver, streamlined/contemporary hardware and advise NOT to do matching green tile in the backsplash - pick up this color in the decorative accessories instead such as display plates, kitchen towels, cannisters, etc.

rickee54 agradeció a Dwell Interior Staging and Redesign
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    hace 8 años

Have it installed as is. There is a reason you like the color in pictures and occasionally when looking at yours. It is a really pretty but bold color, so I think it might just be nerves on your part. I see it with clients all the time, especially when they are looking at a single proposed item outside of the space in which it will go and without all of the other elements that will surround it. All you need is a few accents in your kitchen that recall the island color, a vase on the table, artwork, candlesticks… don’t do anything more permanent like splash back tiles in green. Go with the white subway tiles which will be timeless. Do you have pictures you can post of the white cabinets, granite, appliances, cabinet hardware, floor color, lighting fixtures and furniture that will also go in the kitchen?

rickee54 agradeció a adalisa frazzini
  • Tonia Tussey
    hace 8 años
    Change it now. Go with your gut and stop second guessing yourself. You're already considering changing the tiles to match? Then you will add accessories, then that will make u change walk color, etc. etc. and just change it now to exactly what you want. Will end up costing less in long run.
    rickee54 agradeció a Tonia Tussey
  • Tonia Tussey
    hace 8 años
    Typo.. Was supposed to say then you will end up changing wall color.

Then, if you can see kitchen from neighboring room, or if it's open concept, you will want to integrate that color in there! It will be never ending until you decide to fix it.
    rickee54 agradeció a Tonia Tussey
  • chickyy
    hace 8 años

Paint it white!!!!

rickee54 agradeció a chickyy
  • juudean
    hace 8 años
    It's hard to say what this will look like in the context of the rest of the kitchen...if it is a bit of a retro kitchen, I love the color. Not even close to a hunter green, which is an entirely different look.
    rickee54 agradeció a juudean
  • Kivi
    hace 8 años
    If you are happy with how the stone looks with the green then I would say keep it green. The rest of your cabinets are white already so why not have a bit of boldness with this one. It's refreshing to see some color!
    rickee54 agradeció a Kivi
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    hace 8 años

i'd say don't add green tiles to make this piece work. go neutral on pieces that are difficult and costly to change down the road. you could repaint it if you are truly unhappy with it. but i've learned that midway through the project, is the right time to start panicking that things won't come together.....just know that they usually do. i don't know what the style of your space is....but i think you might consider a subtle bit of DIY to try and make this piece work without the time/cost of completely repainting it. try lightly sanding the piece on the edges and anyplace that it would receive "wear" over time, to give it a softly rustic/antiqued finish, then, rub on some stain, and wipe most of it off, leaving some in crevices....this will give the piece some character and some 'age' and it will slightly deepen the green. this is a great and very forgiving finish in a kitchen ;)

rickee54 agradeció a potchiemagoodleberry
  • PRO
    Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
    hace 8 años

Hard to say without seeing the kitchen, but nothing makes me smile more than a bright unexpected pop of color.... if it works with the rest of the room, I say keep it as is. But I do agree that you probably don't want to pick up the color in tiles... think accessories, soft furnishings, art (or just the frames) to pick up the color and integrate it more fully into the room

rickee54 agradeció a Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
  • Carol Johnson
    hace 8 años
    Have you considered a little glazing to tone down the brightness?
    rickee54 agradeció a Carol Johnson
  • annharrell
    hace 8 años

Actually, I like it. Known as "apple green" or "depression green," it would work well in the trendy little kitchens currently falling back on the 1950s look. Some hardware would make a big difference. Don't be afraid of it. It's a bit startling at first, but will be awesome with vintage bowls, and perhaps white and coral accents. We recently redid two kitchens for clients: one upscale and solid white, the other replica vintage reds and whites with a tin sink, beadboard, and I Love Lucy cabinets. Guess which one everyone fell in love with? They said the smaller one made them want to sit down for coffee and cookies. The white one? They were afraid to spill something.

Good luck to you.

rickee54 agradeció a annharrell
  • rickee54
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you so much for your input. I am beginning to lean towards keeping my little green island. I've never been confident in my decorating skills and this green island is pushing me to accept change and try something new. I love the white and coral accent ideas.

• Dorothy MH
    hace 8 años

I like it. Get some canisters or glassware etc to tie it all together and it will different and special. I may be wrong but either last months or month before HG magazine had a kitchen with cabinets and trim in this color. Might be worth looking at for ideas. I like the idea of contrasting tile but its a taste thing.

rickee54 agradeció a Dorothy MH
  • rickee54
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I wanted to thank everybody for their much appreciated input on my urgent decision of keeping the color of this kitchen island or not. Really, every single reply has been helpful to me. I have not come to a definite decision about changing the color of the kitchen island yet, but I am surprisingly leaning towards keeping it. Because it is my first time on Houzz, I did not think to include other info and pictures besides that of the green island. I'm hoping these additional pictures will help. The additional pictures are of the Quartzsite slab to be used for the countertops, picture of the kitchen with only white cabinets installed (you can see the frame where the small green island will be placed). All appliances will be stainless steel. One wall will have a built-in fridge, oven, and microwave oven. There will be a round stainless steel vent hanging above the builti-n cooktop. The cabinet hardware are stainless as well. The kitchen floor will be the same flooring I already have in my living room/dining area, which opens up into the kitchen. It is a dark Brazilian Walnut. On a side note, the floor may have to go but that's a whole other story. The other pic is of the glass the glass tile I was thinking of adding with the white subway backsplash. I petty much have dropped that idea but just thought I would add the pic. Another thing I panic about is this. Does this green kitchen island change everything in the great room for me? All my furniture in the area is in the earthy tones. I have beige walls with two contrasting walls painted a deep brown which can be seen from the kitchen. Am I going to have to buy new furnishings to go with this green island? Would it just be a matter of painting the walls and adding some other accent pieces around the room? I must make a decision today or at the very latest tomorrow. Any last thoughts for me?
  • Maureen
    hace 8 años

I love the idea of a green island, but the color is not quite what I would use, as it feels it should be in a child's bedroom and you will have to accessorize kitchen with primary colors. Color below is a suggestion, which I think might blend with your browns and beiges and has a more modern feel. If you love it and it sounds like you are pretty settled on it, then go for it and it's an easy fix down the road.

Traditional Kitchen · Más información

rickee54 agradeció a Maureen
  • tgb1
    hace 8 años
    I love green also - but I prefer the green in Maureen's pic. It's much more neutral!
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    hace 8 años

Personally, I like this green, but it's a trendy color for a funky space. I'm not saying you can't make it work, you could... but whenever you feel particularly tormented, something's not quite right. Repainting the island is really a minor task. My vote would be change it to match your original vision. Good luck :)

rickee54 agradeció a Color Zen
  • Lila
    hace 8 años

I don't know why it would cost so much to repaint. You certainly don't have to sand a painted piece in order to repaint unless the paint is chipped, which is not the case here. I wouldn't choose anything permanent to accessorize with it in the meantime. The colour is nice but it should have been greyed down a bit to be a little more sophisticated. It's an easy enough fix after the install. You can do it yourself with a little advice from the paint store. A sample size container of paint will be enough to do it and cost less than $10.00.

rickee54 agradeció a Lila
  • rickee54
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    The back story about this little green kitchen island is this. This was NOT my choice to paint the island this color. I intended to do a green shade, just not this green. We have been quoted a price of $700.-$800 to have the cabinet maker re-sand and repaint it. (sounds outrages) We may have legal recourse but I'm not going to hold my breath on it. Meanwhile, we have been without a kitchen for six months. Now this little green kitchen island has brought everything to a complete stop until I decide about the island. I do like the color of the kitchen island in Maureen's pic. The question is ....
    Love it or Leave it?
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

just so you know, its not your fault. green paint is evil. no matter what the shade on the paint chart is, what comes out of the can is a total roll of the dice.

that said, i would keep it but as others have suggested, don't match hard/expensive to replace items to it.

i would have loved the courage to match my island to my funky old bits of china.

and if you decide to repaint an interesting color, go with something already shown as a full sized door sample on wood, not a 3x2 piece of beadboard

rickee54 agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • Maureen
    hace 8 años

Perhaps some paint experts on this site can comment if they think it would have to be resanded...I have no idea why. For $700-800, I would take as is and get your kitchen finished. You can always have a local painter spray it down the road for much less.

rickee54 agradeció a Maureen
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 8 años

It's a very pleasant green, and while I agree it belongs in a child's bedroom, I think you'll find you'll like it down the road. It's very cheery and will add make your kitchen a happy place.

I agree about accessorizing with green to tie the room together. Dishes are a very easy way to bring the color into your life.

Parrotdise Salad Plates, Set of 4 · Más información

Parrotdise Dinner Plates, Set of 4 · Más información

rickee54 agradeció a hayleydaniels
  • suezbell
    hace 8 años

Do you have a place where you could repaint it yourself? Wall Mart carries Fusion brand spray paint that will stick to even plastic. The key is having the patience to put thin coats and let it dry so it does not run. I'd go with white or off white but the color of your door and window trim or walls could work, too.

You should practice painting something else first -- perhaps practicing on a wood planter or just practice causing and preventing runs on a scrap piece of board both with it lying flat and with it vertical. If you do it yourself, invest in the best painter's tape you can find, emphasis on painter's tape rather than masking or duct tape, etc. -- to tape a cover over what you don't want painted -- the paint will likely bleed through the cheaper tape.

If there's no plumbing going into the island, have you considered adding heavy duty shop wheels to the island and keeping it mobile?

rickee54 agradeció a suezbell
  • columbia93
    hace 8 años

You have a beautiful, formal and sophisticated kitchen and that shade of green is the bad apple that brings the whole thing down. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the picture. I'm with you, though - it is an odd color that gives you a different feeling every time you look at it. Too much blue? As opposed to your warm countertop material. If you really thought you could live with it, you would have. You could glaze it or repaint it yourself (chalk paint is easy I hear) or even shop around to see if someone would fix it for you for less. If you do it yourself, try it just on the inside of that cabinet on the end. That way, if you don't like it, no harm no foul. Refinishing shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's a new piece so basically clean. A scuffing with sandpaper to rough up the gloss should be it.

As for your attached family room - too much beige isn't a good thing. It's great that you are looking to add color, you just need the right color. Once you get the island figured out, take a new look at your living space and see how you can inject that color elsewhere. It might be new curtains, a rug, a painting or accent wall - just get that kitchen right first!

rickee54 agradeció a columbia93
  • MarleneM
    hace 8 años
    Have you considered having a glaze put on over the green paint? This island was done with a brown glaze. Possibly cabinet maker could experiment on a scrap piece of wood for you.
    http://houzz.com/photos/39630
    rickee54 agradeció a MarleneM
  • sharlowm
    hace 8 años
    I don't know how handy you or husband are, but have it installed as is so you can get your kitchen back, then take the time to find the RiGHT color green and paint it yourself! Annie Sloan chalk paint with clear wax is easy, even for beginners!!! Don't leave it that green, to me the rest of your choices are sophisticated and I don't like that bright green with them. But it's your kitchen, so do what makes you happy, long term!
    rickee54 agradeció a sharlowm
  • juudean
    hace 8 años
    Regarding the green and how it would go with your great room...could you post pictures of the room you are concerned with?
    rickee54 agradeció a juudean
  • lorewren
    hace 8 años

Love the green. If it too much. I agree with a overstain and would even consider a white wash. Add black hardware.

Start a useful collection of Green Milk Glass pieces. ie bowls pitches, bud vases.

Bon Chance!

rickee54 agradeció a lorewren
  • kchaps
    hace 8 años
    My first thought is -that it is too Apple green. My second thought is -that you don't like the color deep down. This is a piece of furniture so don't go crazy with a different color. Paint a wall or add decorations that are easier to change.
  • rickee54
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you everybody for all your very useful comments. I have had time to think long and hard on the color of my little green island, as the cabinetmaker decided to go on a 2 week vacation. I fell in love with the shades of greens that VANGUARD development, Maureen and Marlene M submitted in their pictures. It was a eye-opener for me. What I was not seeing is that although I did love the apple green color of my kitchen island, it was probably because I love to wear bright colors. And I would love this green kitchen island in my sister's kitchen. Her kitchen is perfect for it. My kitchen, on the other hand, is a completely different look. That green color was so out of place that all of a sudden, the kitchen island was going to be the "star" of the show, instead of flowing with it. The actual focal point of the kitchen was intended to be the wall behind the cooktop.

So as soon as the cabinet shop is open, I will either have him repaint the island at a much more reasonable price or take it to some one else who will. Thanks again everyone for all your help! I will post pics of the new color.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

best of luck, but dont go all the way to debbie-downer grey! there are colors in between.

• Miranda Rose
    hace 8 años
    I have remained silent on this for awhile but with a white marble top and gold hardware the space could be stunning! Look at this green island...

The island is already finished. Keep it that way for a year or so and if you don't love it change it. It seems to express your personality thought so I think k you'll love it. :)
  • sheilaskb
    hace 8 años

I cannot imagine hunter green cabinets as they would be very dark and would make your kitchen dark. If your cabinets are white, you might paint the interior walls and backs white and then have the shelves painted the light green of the island so that just the edges would show when a cabinet door is opened. If you come to the point of really liking the lighter green, then you might paint all of the interiors of the cabinets this light green. I agree with another poster that white subway tile would be the best choice for a back splash as it never goes out of style and because white will go with anything you choose in the future. I also agree with another poster that small accessories in this lighter green would look great in your kitchen.

• pdk920
    hace 8 años

Your island would be great in a retro 30s-40s kitchen, that green was the most popular kitchen color for a long time. But if that isn't what you want, I'd follow the suggestions to glaze it. It would be pretty and distinctive without taking over your kitchen. Good luck!

• PRO
    Marie P. Interiors
    hace 8 años

Relax! You only have to sand first if the paint coat is high gloss..if it is a satin finish, you only need to sand lightly just to make the finish a little pourous...or you could simply prime it first...any paint store will sell you the correct primer, but by the looks of the picture, it isn't high gloss and my guess is you can just paint right over the green any color if it is a mid tone or darker....if it is a light color, then prime it white first so that the color comes through clean and unaltered. You can even prime with any white paint if it is a pourous surface (flat or eggshell finish are pourous).

And here are a few other tips: Any good quality latex paint works fine. After each coat of paint (two or more are ideal) wait till the paint is cured, then lightly sand with a sand block in a circular motion to get rid of brush strokes (though sometimes brush strokes impart a homey, charming look!) . Eggshell or satin finish are nice but you can also paint with a flat paint then spray finish with a satin polyeurethane finish...it looks quite nice and very professional though it is toxic to inhale as you spray (windows open or spray outside) . If your nervous, watch a few YouTube videos first...they will embue confidence. Then have fun with the project...if you make a mistake, just do it over..it's only paint!!! ....and don't sweat it....it's easy, fun and the finished product will look just beauitful because the Island is beautiful. And post the picture of the final results so we see how it came out!!!

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    This is an east fix, just get some Annie Sloan dark wax and apply it over it rub and buff it will tone it out to look like the above suggested pictures, really is fool proof and easy to
  • danygirl252013
    hace 8 años
    Hey Salut

I have an other idea for you if you still have your green color you could paint behind your cubert to acentuate a contraste . I think it would match with thé island well . good day
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    hace 7 años

It sounds like your kitchen will have a lot of green in it. I would recommend repainting the island.. it will be easier to do now than later.

• rocketjcat
    hace 7 años
    Old post. Wonder what the OP did?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.