Houzz Logo Print
holiday555

fire in a SMALL old coal fireplace

holiday555
hace 8 años

Hi, I went to a local fireplace shop and they told me I had only one option for my shallow fireplace (1873 house, previous owner had a woodstove in front of it that I removed) - the Valor Portrait Windsor Arch. I did not love the look of it, but I could deal with that to make my husband happy (he wants fire in winter above all else), but it actually will not fit! I need 36" hight and I have 33 (up to the very bottom of the medallion) and I need 26 wide and I think I have about 25". I have the (gorgeous) summer cover on there now and have plans to tile the hearth.

my question is twofold: is there another insert I can use somehow or someone who will retrofit one somehow? or, if I need to convert the whole fireplace into a firebox (mentioned by the guys at the shop) what is involved with that?? Floor in there is currently wood and brick is in rough shape with a stuffed up vent to and back (not sure which was used for the stove)

(Ignore those tile samples, they are just protecting kiddie feet from the rough wood underneath and protruding nails - plan to tile hearth in matte black small subway or hex tile if I can find it, summer cover has since been cleaned and painted matte black.)

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    Aarons chimney services
    hace 8 años

The only other option is gas logs. Vent free White mountain hearth makes some very realistic logs

• schmip
    hace 8 años

I'm in a similar quandry. I'm wondering what you ended up doing?

• holiday555
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Nothing, sadly. Have yet to find a solution beyond tearing it out and putting it all back together.

• selcier
    hace 8 años

I have the Valor historical gas inserts and they look great! However, they were a squeeze for our box and slate mantel and yours is certainly smaller.

There are some special cast iron inserts available for tiny boxes but mostly through British companies. I listed some great websites here:

Victorian Fireplaces

British Heritage

Gas Coals

Antique Fireplace Company

Keep us updated!!

• PRO
    L'esperance Tile
    hace 8 años

For tile, look at www.lesperancetileworks.com

• PRO
    Victorian Fireplace Shop
    hace 8 años

Your 8-1/2" depth is a problem for any gas insert. What WILL fit is an open gas coal fire like the Victor gas coal burner, which would allow you to keep your original cast iron surround and summer cover. Victor Gas Coal Burner

• graywings123
    hace 8 años

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar situation in my circa 1900 house and I am looking at the Napoleon Torch Gas Fireplace. Napoleon sells it as an ultra modern fireplace, but I'm thinking that it might serve an older generation of house if the front panel could be changed slightly.
    Napoleon Torch

• Susan Rawlings
    hace 8 años

I would also recommend gas logs as an option. That is quite a project you have on your hands.

• graywings123
    hace 8 años

I don't know whether the OP is still around, but I am now looking at fireplaces made by the Archgard Fireplace Products Company, specifically the Brigantia Eloquence. It is 6 inches in depth.

• holiday555
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

OP here -still following this and looking into the able as well as the Victor Coal gas burner mentioned above. SO many good ideas!!!

• PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    hace 6 años

It is quite likely that the Windsor Arch front on a Valor Portrait insert will fit, but not inside the original casting. The original casting gets removed and the Arch then takes the place of it. What's missing here is accurate dimensions and someone who knows how this is done. Portraits have been used hundreds if not thousands of time in situations like this.

• holiday555
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

HHS - what measurements are needed? and, yes, what is missing is someone who knows what I can do here. That was what I was asking - what could be done. I'm happy to replace the existing arch and summer cover, but the marble mantel is not negotiable.

• PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    hace 6 años

Marble mantle shown above with the Valor Windsor Arch front and polished highlights. The dimensions needed are the overall width and height of the existing cast arch, and the dimensions of the arch cut out in the marble behind the cast arch.

• holiday555
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

OK! i will measure both of those this weekend!

• holiday555
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Opening within the cast marble as shown: 32.875” (subtracting .5” for medallion hanging down/if insert can’t tuck behind it would make it 32.375”) high x 29.75” wide

Opening within the inner marble piece: 29.75” h x 24.125” w

• PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    hace 5 años

Unfortunately it looks as though your mantle is just too small to accommodate the Windsor Arch Front as it is 31" wide by 34" high

• Pat Warner
    hace 2 años

I have a similar situation with a 100 year old house that has 2 coal burner fireplaces. I found an insert I think will fit the small dimension of ours. Here's a link to the one we're considering. https://www.victorianfireplaceshop.com/PRESIDENT-Small-Gas-Insert_p_2545.html

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.