Houzz Logo Print
greenfish1234

Colonial style trim with shaker door?

greenfish1234
hace 8 años
My new doors are in. No one asked me what kind if trim I wanted, and I got my builder's standard order. I went through pains to pick a door style I wanted, and I thought I would be asked about trim at some point. Do you find the trim incongruous with the shaker panels?

Comentarios (18)

• Dianedee
    hace 8 años
    Hi
    Usually doors will be ordered with the standard trim.
    I personally think the trim would look better if it is simple squared lines. Unfortunately you will have to replace the trim with the style you would like to have.
    We made our own trim and installed ourselves. ( We wanted modern/contemporary. We are happy with the result.
    If you know what you want exactly, your builder may do it. But it will likely be a change order adding to the cost.
    Discuss it with your builder.
    In the end you need to be happy, it is your home, and you will look at it every day. Good luck with your project.
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks. The over runs are adding up but I agree, simple trim seems best. So you just pulled the trim off. Your doors and replaced it?
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Looks like we will be yanking trim. Any advice out there on best trim for shaker doors, and how it relates to windows and baseboard?
  • Dianedee
    hace 8 años
    Yes. We found out after exterior doors came in that we did not want the existing trim. So we were able to order the interior doors without trim.
  • Dianedee
    hace 8 años
    We removed the existing moulding which was attached by staples/brads. Be careful not to damage the the door jams. The baseboard trim will likely be colonial (standard by your builder )
    We also did our own baseboard trim. We designed it out of flat stock and tied it into our door trim moulding. See photos.
    We wanted many different things in our build that were "not usually done around here" per our builder. So my husband essentially the contractor and directed the construction and sub contracted some of the things out. Not only did we get pretty much what we wanted, but we saved some money too. My husband is pretty handy at that stuff. I however, was NOT. But I learned how to cut and measure wood, lay tile, and mix mortar, among other things. I watched the construction crew a lot
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Wow Dianedee, thanks so much for the pics of your beautiful doors!! It really has been tough having to educate myself on things (like moulding profiles) I never wanted to know about. It sure would be nice to have a designer or builder who sees my vision and takes care of everything for me, but that's not how it goes for most of us!!
  • avamom2012
    hace 8 años

I suggest a replacement price negotiation with your builder. He should have picked up on that. Maybe split it 50/50.

• Dianedee
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Greenfish.
    For the baseboards we used 6" a 3/8 "space (reveal) and 1&3/4 flat boards to achieve the look. It is interesting and different.
    As you you go along many things will come up like door knobs, cabinet knobs, paint colors etc. but if you work with the builder things will work out. Don't be afraid to tackle new things. Good luck with your build.
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I'm waffling. I'm so sick of going over budget on everything. I have until tomorrow am to decide :(
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Looking at it again, the trim seemed paper thin, compared to the 1x and 5/4 I was considering. Is this the new chintzy standard? Another reason to reject it in my beautiful new house? Can I go through the expense of installing reclaimed pine floors and then put crappy new build trim on? I assume this means I won't be able to use the baseboard in my quote either, which also looks very thin. Or is it one of those things no one will ever notice??
  • Dianedee
    hace 8 años
    Hey,
    I understand your frustration.
    Perhaps you can ask the builder for a credit on the builder trim. Or ask what the difference between what he is supplying and what you want. If cost is too much then just get the credit and install it yourself. If you can't get the credit then go with his and change it a t a later time.
    Chin-up, and try to focus on the finish, when you will finally be able move in the your beautiful new home. Think of how much you will enjoy it, even with a few blips. We had a few upsets with our build, we made some changes and fired a few people, sent back some doors, interior and exterior. But the replacements worked out to be of better quality and at lesser cost. It all works out.
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks so much Dianedee. It is ridiculous how wrapped up in minutia I can get.
  • Leslie Brooks
    hace 8 años
    I hope you got the trim you wanted. Our builder got a cheaper version of the trim I wanted. I didn't know this until we were moving in...it was cheap crap. It is a veneer over cheap press board. Ugh.
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Leslie. I was up all night but went with the better trim, with a wide header and bed molding in top, a little simpler upstairs. I appreciate all the support!!
  • Dianedee
    hace 8 años
    Good for you Greenfish. You will be looking at and living in your home for a long while. It is worth it to get what you will be happy with.
    There will be plenty more decisions to make before you are done.
    Good luck and enjoy your new home.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años
    Looks wrong. As was said, 1 x 4 could look nice, or perhaps a 1 x 4 with a bead on the inside edge. Even a simplified craftsman look could work, like 1 x 4 legs with a 5/4 x 6 head.
  • greenfish1234
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Artisan, and everyone else who chimed in! We actually did choose 1x4 with the bead and a 5/4 header (do you think it should overhang the legs on the sides by 1/4" or be flush?). I'm a little worried about the height of the header. My downstairs ceiling kind of telescopes down from 10' in the smallest room to 8.5' in the biggest room to probably 7'10" in the adjacent rooms. This would pRobably mean no crown except in the biggest room unless I have them rip it down to 4". Thoughts about bed molding on that header?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.