adianezh

Just painted my kitchen and am not in love with it. What's wrong?

hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
Should I keep this color or change it?. I though it would be gray and all I see is Slate blue.

Comentarios (121)

• hace 11 años
    I see that so many say go similar to the beautiful backsplash. I say go in a contrast and show off the backsplash. You just need to warm the room with some warm color or items. the island should be a different color from the walls to make it look as if a nice piece of furniture. (pulls on doors may warm it)
  • hace 11 años
    Notice the colour of your floor next to the cabinets. It is in the yellow tones so helps the cabinets disappear. The walls being a blue gray emphasize the cabinets. The panels of the island look like the same colour as the walls. I'd think of painting the walls a creamy white or find a gray that is much lighter and that has no blue or red undertone. I would then choose a colour that is similar to the darkest tile in your backsplash and use that on my island.
  • hace 11 años
    I think the blue is very pretty actually.
  • hace 11 años
    Here's a super quick mockup of what the cabinets would look like painted white. Much fresher and blends in with the white appliances.
  • hace 11 años
    For me it's the color of the cabinets that needs changed. White is the best suggestion because it blends in your appliances, but Expresso would work too. The hanging lights are not helping you try to match the lovely one over your table. I'd add a large natural wood birdcage and several pieces of Brass to your collection on top of the cabinets. Warm it up!
  • hace 11 años
    I agree that painting your cabinets a grey and making the walls a lighter shade would help but what bothers me the most is your lighting/ The dining fixture is fine but the penants need to be in the chome or polished chrome finsih. Even if you initially went with a light grey on walls and changed the lighting I think you would see a big diffrence in tying it all together. Also i you would remove some of stuff from counters and also above counters. and tied in the chrome look I thing it would also help and minimialize.
  • hace 11 años
    I see what you're referring to. I do love the wall and back splash colors; blue in a typically busy work space is a good way to cool down a hotspot.

---I wonder if you chose the colors with a previous lighting scheme which may have had a different color temperature from the current scheme.

--Would you want to try bulbs with a different color temp before planning on repainting either the walls or the cabinetry?

--And since the room seem to have lots of bright light from outdoors, the time of day might influence how the color affects you. Perhaps allowing for the changing daylight with some cool light bulbs in certain fixtures and warm in others, will allow different lighting schemes at different times of day?
  • hace 11 años
    Hey there,

Well this is what your kitchen looks like with dark grey wall, do you like it now? http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4227/greyv.jpg

I think because of the bright sunlight and the tones in the room, with reflections, it will need a fairly dark grey with no blue in it, very desaturated, very neutral, and darker than you think to work.

And of course, if you don't like it, change it, because it will bug you forever. Hope that helps!
  • hace 11 años
    Just realized I could upload a photo here, which may be easier.
  • hace 11 años
    That is a fantastic tool, kitchen improved by 50%
  • hace 11 años
    Dry brush with silver to tone down the blue.
  • hace 11 años
    I would not change a thing. I think you did a great job. It looks great. Keep it as it is.
  • hace 11 años
    @Blenderdesign - GREAT PHOTO!! Look how the blue turned more grey. Imagine swapping out the glass globes on the pendants to white milk glass as in the chandelier or for a pop of color orange or red would bring drama to the room. Accessories in that color scheme would look great too.
  • hace 11 años
    change it. I often try a color and can only get it exactly right by testing. You can use the paint you already have. Mix in some black and put it on cardboard or even on the wall. some people suggest using the darkest color in the tile backsplash.
  • hace 11 años
    Hi there. Choose a deep grey with more brown tones in them. A dark colour will warm up the space, you have loads of light to deal with so you won't be disappointed. The darker the better, your backsplash is lovely as well as your choices for the lighting and stools. Also, your hardware needs to be bigger. If you can, find bigger drawer and cupboard handles on the lower cupboards at least you are in great shape.
  • hace 11 años
    I would go with a darker grey closer to the color of the grout on your floor. I think that would help it work a little better.
  • hace 11 años
    I think the white cabinets looks best-- really beautiful! I think the pendants would need to be changed out as well... but my first choice for the lighting would be to get rid of some of the pendants altogether. I think there is too just much hanging lighting for the size and layout of the room. I would hang two pendants, in the silver finish with white globes, over the island, and keep the chandelier over the table. The rest of the lighting would be better as canned lights.
  • hace 11 años
    I would take a sample of your back splash to get a paint more in the grey rather than blue grey. I have had the same problem for years. Last year I found the perfect gray in the Behr Premium Plus Ultra Statin - Elephant Ear is a great color. I have also been known to take a shirt or pants that is in the color I want & they can match that color.

Go online & look at all the colors & put it on their visual wall to help you!

The color you have now is too blue & will continue to look blue as it ages.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    @jkwiskamp
    In your question you asked "what is wrong?" I think it is simply this: You are a modern girl, trapped in somewhat dated oak cabinetry. So you changed what you could easily change; the new pendant lights, the glass backsplash and you painted in a tone that exists in the splash. To get to the result I THINK you are after....note I said think, soften the walls to a very pale grey,( color isn't about matching, it is blending) paint the cabinets white which will absorb the white appliances, add some great knobs. Clear off the counter clutter, see if you can get some under the cabinet lighting and take away the pendants that have no support underneath, and as soon as you're able, change the very traditional light over the table. You will be stunned when you allow the "modern girl" in you, to finish the job she began.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Jan is wise, and in this case thte white cabinets with help get you on your way. The wood tone adds a 'natural' element that is far from the direction you are wanting ....listen to Jan
  • hace 11 años
    My cabinets are oak and I painted the kitchen BM Beach Glass, which looked more gray than it did when I painted but I love it. One difference with mine and yours is that I have stainless steel appliances. I think with the white appliances, I'd paint the cabinets white too. Would be lovely, like the mock up above.
  • hace 11 años
    So, have you digested what's been written? I for one would like to know what you agree and disagree with - remember that before you do anything your Kitchen is about 12-13' by ?. If you go darker, it will look like a cave. @Blenderdesign photoshopped your cabinets, lightened. What direction are you leaning.
    Please help us, so we can help you.
  • hace 11 años
    I believe. Your white appliances make it look blue, they have stainless contact paper. For appliances It's pretty cool...also your light globes. In the room some are very white some are off white. Make them the same....I'd darken the gray....and possibly. Paint cabinets white or glaze them darker....
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Hello to all designers,
    Does anyone see a response from the customer, I might have missed it, but in the very beginning I suggested white cabinets and asked an important question, had these cabinets just been purchased. If yes, that is an ouch for the customer and I see no response, except all of us writing to one another?????
  • hace 11 años
    Hello,
    Thank you for all your responses.
    Im new to houzz and Im still learning to browse my way around the site. This site has been an amazing source of information and so many friendly help.
    I have decided to change the color of the wall because the cabinets won't be replaced. Also, I am going to remove the lights in front of the refrigerator and the dining chandelier will be replaced with the removed lights. I will also move the other lighting foward in the island and add some spot lights.
    The color I will choose is called Coconut shell from Behr to keep with the warm effect of the kitchen.
    The backsplash is brown, chrome, frost white and in the picture it might have looked blue due to the wall color which was called Twillight from Behr. Attached is the color of the backsplash. Lets see how that works....
  • hace 11 años
    I think that will be better....it's alot of work...but will be satisfying when done,, isn't this site just amazing? I just love it...and it oes take awhile to find your way around , but well worth the time and effort...does that paint color match one of the colors in the backsplash? You might want to change out your chairs. So they all match at island and table....put some oil rubbed bronze lighting and knobs and pulls on your cabinets.... Good luck...can't wait o see the finished product...
  • hace 11 años
    This site is awesome! Yes, color matches the backsplash. I like the idea of painting the chair in the island another color as well. Below is a better picture of the kitchen uncluttered and the light fixture changed. Also the marmol on the dining table is the same color as some of the backsplash pieces. This is kitchen work in progress....
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    looks nice did you repaint or is that the same was when we started here
  • hace 11 años
    Its the same color. The first picture was during the early day time and it was very bright and this one its a bit cloudy. Also, I eliminated the chandelier on the dining table and added a spot light on top of the refrigerator.
  • hace 11 años
    I would paint your Island dark brown , like the darkest brown in back splash...maybe change the island stool. to wood with same color of leather on your chairs.. Too much going on with all those chairs.get Some darker marble tiles as close to table as possible. Tile over counter. Darker ...or new counters Maybe. I forgot you have chrome in the backsplash....so X out the oil rubbed bronze knobs etc.... Sorry... I am going thru same thing.....and I have mismatched chairs at island and table. Bought before painting. Bad move....
  • hace 11 años
    I believe 'tone' is much more influential than 'hue' or colors in terms of paint effects. Just do a small experiment, change the above photo into black and white mode and you shall see that the wall and the cabinet is of almost the same tone with vague outlining effects... no contrast seen there. If you compare the tone above and below the hanging cabinet, you shall see that the tiles below the hanging cabinet make better contrast... mostly due to the tone difference. The door and the surrounding wall make better contrast there. Your wall is of middle tone and your cabinet too is of middle tone... and putting it together be disastrous. Probably changing your wall to a very dark (better i think) or very light tone is the way to go.
  • hace 11 años
    I think cabinets need to be changed to maybe white, like refrigerator if you keep the same blue wall color. If you'd rather change wall color try matching the backspash - darker, but still think cabinets need to change
  • hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I agree with ShamikaDesign way up there. Your cabinets are warm and gray/blue/slate are cold colors. Your picture on my monitor actually shows as kind of lavender hue next to the door. Were you pulling a color out of your backsplash for the walls? Do you have a large family or lots of visitors? There is a lot of seating in that kitchen.
    I'm not sure that you want to go to the work or expense of painting these cabinets. Paint is a more temporary finish than the natural finish also. It will chip and if it isn't a good job then it will be very noticeable because we stand very close to kitchen cabinets all of the time. You started off your comment just saying you didn't like the wall color. I think that is a simple problem to be dealt with simply. The pendants hanging in front of the right bank of cabinets don't make any sense. Do you also have under cabinet lighting? The pendants won't provide that, as you know. BTW, we have that same chandelier over our dining room table in brushed nickel.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    adianezh,

Dear Modern Girl,
    Take the trip to the final destination, paint the cabinets glossy white, add some silvery pulls, and soften the walls to a pale muted grey......OH!!! I think I said that earlier : ) Already looks a hundred percent better without the light fixture and the clutter! : ) Thumbs up, and keep going!
  • hace 11 años
    A grey with the slightest bit of beige would play with the colors of your cabinets/lighting.
  • hace 11 años
    Great choice to go with warm harmonizing color on the walls. Going with analogous color instead of your complementary color scheme will work with yellow-orange, wood cabinets, warm flooring and counter tops. Don't forget to paint your ceiling 2 shades lighter than walls. The appliances will still pop out because they are white.
  • hace 11 años
    @JAN MOYER Thank you for your advice and I like my Modern Girl name.lol. It definitely would make sense to paint the cabinets white because the appliances are white but these appliances were included when we purchased the house so I’m thinking of buying stainless steel appliances in the near future. I bought nice modern hardware for the cabinets so I will be posting photos of that very soon. I have accessorized my cabinet top with modern decorations. Since I have a great room design, I’m making some improvements to the living/dining room area before deciding on paint. You can check my other discussions for photos of the whole area. Thank you everybody for being so nice and helpful :-)
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    adianezh
    GIVE IT UP MODERN GIRL!!!! Honey let that girl out. Stainless is super with white. It is super with all the grays, and even charcoal cabinets!!! The oak is trying to tell a different story, and that is not YOUR story. Believe it if you can, it is true.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    adianezh
    Yeah!! Even charcoal! Anything but oak will transport u to modern girl land. Below was an oak kitchen...and no more.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    WRONG PIC ABOVE.....No tech weenie here!!!
  • hace 11 años
    I'm thinking black cabinets (or white) for the second home we are about to buy.
  • hace 11 años
    Beautiful Kitchen! Love the look with the wood floors.
  • hace 11 años
    @JAN MOYER. I was reading up on painting kitchen cabinets and found something called Gel Stain to darken oak cabinets. Have you heared of this, they say its pretty user friendly. Below is a before and after photo. Expresso cabinets would look great with all my other dark wood furniture. Anybody else has hear of this?
  • hace 11 años
    Yep....it would look sharp in there....google it. Or type it in on the search in houzz....
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    adianezh
    Dear modern girl, i believe that is a Minwax product. Look, you really don't need to agonize over it. if you went to a kitchen cabinet place, and asked where all the oak cabinets went..they would say to inexpensive apartment complexes.!!! So... you want a luxurious high end modern look. Take the EASY path and paint them, add some great hardware. Sherwin Williams Peppercorn, or even the glossy white and you will be on your way. If you were my client, the paint would already be IN THE PAN. : ) It isn't a sin, you won't go to jail, you will just have a kitchen you love especially when you get new appliances. With either color! Just gonna have to trust me on that one.
  • hace 11 años
    @ JAN MOYER. You make me laugh! I shall make you proud, you will see..:-)
  • hace 10 años
    Adianezh, Did you end up painting the cabinets? Dying to know!
  • hace 10 años
    the dark Gel Stain pictured that looks dark gray/black would look good with those slate blue walls. After all this time, what did you do with your cabinets?
  • hace 7 años
    consider painting your cabinetry, to go with your appliance's.
  • hace 6 años

I think you need white cabinets. Look at all the million plus homes. They are all white. I like your grey.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.