Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

What's the most annoying home building/design jargon?

Luke Buckle
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Sometimes, when you've been an industry for a long time, the catchphrases and acronyms are hard to limit. Personally, I am irritated whenever i hear 'bespoke', but that could because I have been on on one too many Kevin McCloud DVD binges. What's the jargon that really gets your goat? Is there a term or phrase you'd be happy to never hear again?

Related Stories:

Comentarios (62)

• fianou
    hace 9 años
    Its not an episode of Grand designs without Kevin McLeod saying bespoke! lol
    Tradies, chippie, sparky.... what?
    It really gets me when I see all these guys bogan up to talk building. They all become so "blokey" even though ordinarily they just speak normally. Since when are all 20 somethings working in the building industry all mini versions of Alf from home and away?
  • Barbara Dunstan
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I feel bad now, as I just used "wow" twice in as many days when emailing, to you olldroo for one ha-ha
    I think as I live in the country, I'm not so exposed to all the terminology that others may be bombarded with regularly, like all the tv reno shows that I don't watch anyway, so to me "wow" means that a room looks "amazing" gosh is amazing on the list to?? ha-ha
    I'm also a bit dumb though I think, because I have no idea what a bespoke is ha-ha
    I understand a "pop" of colour meaning a neutral theme with just a few "pops" of colour to get the "wow factor" oh I'll have everyone cringing hearing me use these words again!!!
    The words don't bother me but obviously some people have head them enough!!!
    Luke Buckle agradeció a Barbara Dunstan
  • olldroo
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años
    Hahahahaha, its ok Barbara, you are allowed to say 'wow' when something 'wows' you, it is the 'wow' factor as in contriving to cause 'wow' to be used that is over the top. Wow, I can't believe I just said all that.
  • hcrwatson
    hace 9 años
    I am in the middle of my renovation and talk to my builder on a daily basis. Not sick of any jargon yet...but I'm not living in the house. Maybe I'd have a different view if I was?

Can't help but be perplexed by earlier comment about 700 sqm. That size of land really is huge where I live. My block is 90 and it is twice the size of most in the street. I am in the inner city but even new homesites on the edge of the greater metro area are usually less than 700.

Is there an idea book in this? The variations in lot size and what that means for how people live?
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    hace 8 años
    I guess considering that 98% of Australia is vacant land (and don't tell me it's because it's too harsh to live there - they are lots of deserts, hot or cold, or areas with extreme weather, in the US and many other countries where towns and cities exist and where people live), it's totally surprising to hear that 700m2 is perceived as a large block of land (especially when you consider that the average size of an Aussie home is now around 200m2. That's not much land left...) I am originally from France, where density of population is a totally different thing. Many people live in apartments, but when it comes to houses, a 700m2 block of land is on the lower average part of the spectrum... So yes, considering 700m2 as large block in big wide Australia is a bit of a joke. Rant number 1 over :)

One thing that doesn't irritate me but saddens me a lot is that profitability has taken over the uniqueness of a home. What I mean by this is that people are so obsessed about buying a property, living in it for a bit, making a few changes to make a profit, selling and moving to another house where they start the same thing over and over, that they have forgotten to create a home. It's not about making a frontyard that makes you smile as soon as you arrive home, and that attracts bees and birds and an occasional friendly neighbour: it's about creating street appeal. It's not about creating a home that feels unique and special to you and your family: it's about what colours to use to I can later reach a wide audience of potential buyers. Oh the number of people I have met who are building a 4x2 even though it's just two of them and they don't even know what to do of all the extra space, but they're building it this way because "a 4x2 will sell for a higher price later on". So many people would love to make some specific changes to their homes, but refrain to do so because they don't want to "overcapitalize". There is not such a thing as overcapitalizing if your intend, when purchasing your property, is to have a home, your own piece of heaven, a shelter for your dreams and your daily adventures. But that intend is (too) often replaced by profit. As a result, we see a huge amount of houses that present the same design elements (even with different styles of architecture), the same materials, the same trends, the same colour palette and its variations... It is all very safe, sometimes almost sterile, even if it is in a cool, trendy way. And that's it for rant number 2 :)
    Luke Buckle agradeció a Twinkle and Whistle
  • User
    hace 8 años

The even sadder part, Twinkle & Whistle, is that it's not just in Australia. It's everywhere. I'm in the southern US; just trying to find a house not built on a slab slashes my options in half and eliminates almost anything built in the last decade. Then trying to find something that doesn't look like every other house on the block slashes another quarter from the list. I'm also finding that instead of neighborhoods having similar values as I was accustomed to growing up, some neighborhoods have a range of prices that can differ by hundreds of thousands. I'm actually not sure how an appraiser comes up with a number these days when surrounding houses can be so radically different in older neighborhoods. Then you have the huge 4000-5000 sf houses on barely 6000 sf of land. Add to that, the lack of character most of these monsters have and it's enough to keep me where I am.

• PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    hace 8 años
    I hear you, @whynottryit!!!! Every single point you address sound all too familiar... Sad indeed!
  • PRO
    Melissa Treadgold Architect, Sydney, Australia
    hace 8 años
    'Alfresco Living' instead of the traditional word - verandah . Commonly used by Real Estate agents on their plans.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 8 años
    When I am asked, "Do you draw blueprints?"
  • olldroo
    hace 8 años
    Mark - hope you tell them you only do green.
  • User
    hace 8 años

hahahahahah....@Mark Bishack.... you made me bust out laughing with that (no grammar police please, that was on purpose). That's priceless!!!

• Neryl Hollingsworth
    hace 8 años
    I can't stand 'sustainable' and 'eco' appearing in nearly every architect's material. Of course you're eco, if you didn't pay attention to the environment, you wouldn't be doing your job and no one would hire you!
  • PRO
    HACK architecture
    hace 8 años

@Neryl Hollingsworth I hear you, this is something I do mention in my marketing material also. The problem is, if not mentioned or explained, then there is no general assumption or expectation that you would design this way. I tell clients sustainable design is just good design and that only the starting point. Now let talk about what you need, how you would like to live and the character of you would like to bring to the project.

• jbantick
    hace 8 años

Bespoke is an English word rarely used in Australia until Grand Designs............

I dislike, 'Wow factor', 'bringing the outdoors in', 'We have a pretty good idea of what we want' or my personal favourite, 'We want a really nice kitchen (bathroom, ens, etc.)'. Which is a crazy statement because who wants a really crap kitchen, bathroom, etc.............

• bhp19
    hace 8 años
    "Oozes sophistication", used in real estate advertising, who wants to live in a home that oozes?
  • olldroo
    hace 8 años

Is "oozing" sophisticated??

• PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    hace 8 años

After watching the last 'The Block' Series I'm over 'South Yarra Style'

But the word that really irks me at the moment is "Awesome" and I usually mutter under my breath "No it's just OK"

• geluka
    hace 8 años
    What about 'bang on trend'
  • PRO
    HACK architecture
    hace 8 años

@geluka ...and who really wants to be "bang on trend" today and "dated" tomorrow? I prefer to solve the real problems and create something unique to the client and their context.

• Barbara Dunstan
    hace 8 años

You will NEVER succeed in a home if you build purly on trend because we all know, as the word suggests, a trend is for a period of time and usually a short period of time.
    You must stay true to your heart and your likes and dislikes and if you do, your home will be exactly what you wanted it to be and more importantly, for a long, long time.
    Don't ever want someone to say to me, What were you thinking!!!.....like when you see a weird hair style or outfit on someone that can be changed relatively quickly compared to a decision made in a home!!!

• goneon
    hace 8 años

Bu.... "trend" we just built what we wanted...........an awesome fusion pad that oozes sophistication from the neutral walls with pops of colour incorporating eco features...............hum no not really me i just built a house it won't date because it's not in fashion, I did use good ideas from now like solar and double glazing but stuck with old ideas tike timber floors high ceilings and skirtings, we like to call it "Georgian fusion" when people start asking..you need a laugh........we had a few along the way so did my builder bless him these are my front door as made by him to suit!

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

Maggie, those doors are beautiful. What a craftsman!!

• goneon
    hace 8 años

when i'm feeling brave I will "put up" the stair-case he is a talented young man :)

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

C'mon ............. be daring!!!

• goneon
    hace 8 años

Ok stairs, no colour pops no wow the only hero is being able to transport my weight from ground to first floor I suppose they could be 'bespoke" as they where tailored for the space!(eco as wood is a renewable resource?) and still not quite done as husband is now building pull out bookcases to fit space under............on trend no....just old fashioned stairs build out of local timber

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 8 años

At times I find "budget" annoying.

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

So is being on a budget.

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

Maggie, how can you say there is no wow to those stairs. It is the simplicity of them that makes them a standout, I love the soft colour of the timber and the black wrought iron is a fantastic touch, it adds oomph without taking over. You realise now we NEED to see more.

• goneon
    hace 8 años

Thanks Olldroo, Its Tas Oak with clear varnish to match the door and floors and the iron work was the cheapest way to comply with building regs (they worry in case a child sticks its head through, gone of the days of kids only doing it once...) on a Budget note..ouch the worst is no longer being on it..I fell off weeks ago after having to install a whole new sewage system as we now have one extra bedroom! But heck it's only money (cringe).

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

I wondered if it was Tassie Oak - my favourite timber. Not cheap, but gosh it wears well, really takes any knocks and just always looks great. I'm intrigued with the colour of Tassie Oak these days - I panelled some walls nearly 30 years ago with it and I notice it is much darker than yours is and some new furniture I had made a couple of years ago. I'm just wondering if it is being specially grown now, so the trees are harvested younger that makes the timber paler.

I feel your budget pain, don't know how long it will take us to pay our renovations off but at least we can enjoy our home now suitable for the needs of age and when we go, it comes out of the kids' inheritance.

• goneon
    hace 8 años

Funny you should mention age.....the main reason for the space in the stair well is for when we need a lift! And to the oak mine is quite mixed some is very dark but its all part of the charm................

• sootsprite
    hace 8 años
    Green Room Interiors, your question, "Where has all the color gone?" reminded me of an old Peter, Paul, and Mary song (I have modified a few words):
    Where have all the colors gone, long time passing
    Where have all the colors gone, long time ago
    Where have all the colors gone
    Designers nixed them, every one
    When will they ever learn
    When will they ever learn
  • User
    hace 8 años

I don't mind building jargon too much. When I'm in the timber yard, if I don't know what I'm ordering, a queue forms behind me. Design jargon the same.

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

Chook - you mean they don't understand what a thingamajig is??

• goneon
    hace 8 años

I Know, I know, Miss! Its that thingy you use to fedangle the whatnot when having a ferckle about just isn't doing it! (my poor spell checker is having conniptions!!!)

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

You speak perfect woman Maggie.

• User
    hace 8 años

Aussies, I have a new thread up about solar. Have your say!

• A P
    hace 8 años

I believe the below are very widely used....

1) Timeless design

2) "If that's what you like......"

3) "That looks great too!!!"

4) "At the end of the day....."

5) "It gives character to it...."

6) "That has a nice appeal...."

and many more......

• goneon
    hace 8 años

Sorry Chookie i'm having trouble finding it.......give us a hint

• User
    hace 8 años

You know the system thinks my links are spam! I will try but if I disappear again, I s'pose I could do the washing.

• bargainhunter
    hace 8 años
    I think 'home theatre' is hilarious when it's a TV room and 'scullery' when it's actually a walk in pantry
  • User
    hace 8 años

Yes Bargain, and Bedroom means room for bed only.

• olldroo
    hace 8 años

It depends on how pretentious one wishes to be ........... a rose by any other name.......... etc.

• goneon
    hace 8 años

I laugh at "Butlers Pantry" when to all intent and purpose it's a scullery, lets be honest here most of us are much closer to scullery maids than butlers!

• User
    hace 8 años

The builder didn't write that, the butler did it.

• PRO
    Sarah Lebner
    hace 8 años

As an architect, I have a list of words saved on my desktop that I am conscious can sound confusing to the client! One day I hope to write a little archi-dictionary to help clients work out what we mean when we use so many of the words that seem natural to us!

'Form', 'honest materials', 'warmth', 'documentation', 'draft', 'sketch plan', 'detail', 'mass', 'spine', 'circulation', 'water harvesting', 'floating', 'dynamic', 'heavy', 'celebrate'... etc.

• PRO
    Gene De Guzman
    hace 8 años

I like consistency in measurement like I prefer metric and not mixing it with imperial that can make a bad recipe for confusion in drawing a plan.

• Barbara Dunstan
    hace 8 años

People who have only learned imperial are confused by metric and vice versa!!

I am younger and have embraced metric but hubby is older and still uses imperial as he won't make a mistake with that.

I think metric or imperial should be a personal choice but alas it's now compulsory with measuring tapes almost always only metric now.

I have found it difficult to find a tape that still has imperial!!

• how2girl
    hace 8 años
    The term "that's a variation" can be a very annoying & costly term. Example: having a window centred over the bath, seems obvious & logical; oh no "that's a variation".
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.