Houzz Logo Print
tom_mcmahon2302

Hanging Pots?

Tom McMahon
hace 9 años

Hello all, Long time reader first time poster... Anyways I am going to get a 10 piece set of All-Clad pots and pans and would like to display them. We have a new house (1 year old) raised ranch. I am looking for ideas on how to hang some of those All-Clads above the sink. Its really the only practical place to put them. (I think) Here is a picture or two from the kitchen. What do you guys think? --Also almost no natural light really come in from that window, its on a dark side of the house so the sun never really gets it.--

I was thinking about maybe one of those pot hangers that kind of comes out in a semi-circle so that they wouldn't interfere with the window. I would also assume the studs continue above the outside of the window frame so it would be a good mounting spot if I can find one that width.

Comentarios (22)

• sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

Please do not. Cluttered, nice when new, and after they are stained? Such a beautiful kitchen.

• miacometlady
    hace 9 años
    I think you picked over the sink because your gut tells you that this is the only possible choice to achieve your goal of hanging pots.I'm sorry to chime in but I think it would be a mistake. You would be blocking what little light you get from window. Ideally you want pots/ pans hung within reach of stove. Picture one shows a few pans on a wall, but you have no wall space. I don't see a place for shelves. I can only think you could move pendants out to make room for a simple metal hanger over island. Sorry to dampen your idea.
  • PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    hace 9 años

What a lovely kitchen. It's too bad you feel you have to cover up the window to hang your pots. Is there anyway to reorganize your cabinets to get more use out of them? Like roll-outs or drawer organizers? Or better yet, convert to all drawers below?

• Tom McMahon
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Well to be clear the first and third pictures are my kitchen a year ago. The middle one is today. Its not exactly all that clean looking now it looks like a normal kitchen. But we are putting all of the pots and stuff in a drawer under the island. Have you seen All-Clad stuff? Its very nice. And maintains its look for years.

• Tom McMahon
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Maybe. We have a one year old baby running around tearing the place apart so believe me, its lost that new luster it had 12 months ago. Good idea though we might be able to move stuff around. We do it all the time with her changing food needs. Formula to food and food to cereal and all of that.

• User
    hace 9 años

look at pot rack lights! You can replace the lights over the island with something like this, which would look better than in front of the window. But it also seems like thats where you want to put them, your house, so put the rack where you want.

Elegant Designs Brushed Nickel 2-Light Kitchen Pot Rack With Downlights · Más información

• User
    hace 9 años

Oh, and we have had an All Clad set for 20+ years. You're right, they do maintain their look, but after 5 years of constant use, they do stain, scratch and warp. Best set we ever had, but they will not look good forever.

• User
    hace 9 años

I agree with the other naysayers.

• raineycarole
    hace 9 años
    By all means get a pot rack with lights for the island. It'll look great. A kitchen is supposed to be for cooking, not for looks only. I use Barkeepers Friend on my All Clad. They could pass for brand new after 20 years of hard use.
  • Tom McMahon
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Alright alright! Jeeze. Haha. I am by no means an expert on this that's why I come to you guys. Alright we will leave the window open. What does everyone else think about replacing the pendants with a lighted hanging rack? Also might add some clutter. I am a 30 year old guy who granted, I did design the kitchen but I dont really know what I am doing design wise, first time doing all of this stuff. Thanks for the advice so far!

This is an open concept though. So I guess placement is important. Here are a few more pictures.

Now our couch is along that half wall. Three pub chairs are under the island

Our dining room (square and high) table is to the left.

The tv is mounted in that corner. The island is immediately behind this perspective. There is also a love seat right to the right.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

raineycarole, I suppose that if your pots are in drawers, they do not get used? so is a show kitchen unless they are out? so I suppose your underwear is in the closet hanging by the window, your books all in your desk as all your papers and files?

Really?

• Depo
    hace 9 años
    Sorry Tom, but a pot rack is just going to make your great room cluttered and messy looking, no matter how beautiful your cook wear is.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Re a pot rack adding clutter. No, not really. Clutter would be if you piled them on the counter. In a cabinet or drawer, or hanging from a rack, the pans would be in the place you designate, ie, stored away. Here's the thing about Houzz, you can search island pot racks in the photos, and decide for yourself if it looks cluttered. Ignore the style, cabinets, layout, just ask, " Does this look bad to me?" Yes? Store the pans in a drawer. No? Get a rack. Easy Peasy! Let us know what you decide to do, and post a pic!
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 9 años
    Def wouldn't put pots in window! I have a huge kitchen & huge island. I wanted to use a pot rack over my island but I was afraid it would block my view, so I went with the pendant lights. I still don't know if I made the right decision! I love the cluttered look of pots and pans. I love cookware..period! It's a personal decision. I think they would be beautiful there if you decide to go that way. Good luck!
  • Maureen
    hace 9 años

Wondering in your new layout, if you still have the blank wall between cupboards and sliding door. Idea below may work to show off your pots. As the years go by and they aren't looking as nice, it's easy to add other things.

ETILER APARTMENT · Más información

• PRO
    Sightlines
    hace 9 años

Definitely not over the window, but hey, if you can work something out over the island, I say go for it. Agree with Rachuba's suggestion to search "island pot rack" and use that to decide whether the look will be too cluttered or not. Uncluttered is very in right now, but a few years ago hanging pot racks were all the rage. It's cyclical....
    I'd go for a stainless pot rack rather than black or copper, but you could consider any metal.

• leelee
    hace 9 años

Well, not trying to talk you out of spending a small fortune on All-Clad because it is very highly rated but there is another brand that was rated almost as high by America's Test Kitchen. Check out Tramontina. We have both a full set of Tramontina and several pieces of All-Clad and I'd bet you won't be able to tell the difference when cooking except by the logo.

Agree not to do a pot rack. You seem to have lots of storage space. Your beautiful kitchen is now messy and cluttered. Are you sure you're up to keeping the All-Clad all shiny and new?

• barrowp
    hace 9 años

I can't tell if this is about needing more storage or wanting to display new cookware as a design feature. Personally, I don't ever love to see functional cookware on display. But I guess you can take that with a grain of salt because I also hide away countertop appliances!

If it is about storage, try going through your kitchen thoroughly, storing away infrequently used items and donating those you don't use. Seems i can always find space that way. You probably have old cookware you no longer need that someone else might appreciate.

• ycity
    hace 9 años
    I love hanging pots. We used to have our all clads hanging above the sink, I would put them there after washing and it would drip dry. We remodeled everything and wanted the look of simplicity and took the pot rack down (sadly)!! I still love them, but I'm not entirely sure it goes with the decor of your kitchen. It belongs in a vintage or rustic kitchen.
  • PRO
    Joanna Shirin Design Studios, ASID
    hace 8 años

I agree with @rachuba -- Hang over the island, don't loose the light! Best of both worlds.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

OLD OLD POST

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.