prius0007

Help: HVAC zoning cost?

Leo Schuster
hace 9 años

I just bought a 2100 square foot home, it has only one 4 ton HVAC unit. This house has two story family room and difference in temperature between 1st and 2nd floor is noticeable. I would like to add a zoning system so I can control the temperature better. I would like to know an approximate cost. Please advice. THANKS!

Comentarios (8)

• mike_home
    hace 9 años

It is very difficult to estimate the cost without know what equipment you currently have. If you have a single speed furnace and AC then it is likely you will have to buy new equipment in order to make the zoning work properly.

Where is the furnace located? Is the there access to the duct work feeding the second floor? How much of a temperature difference are you experiencing? If you can supply some more information you will get better feedback.

Leo Schuster agradeció a mike_home
  • energy_rater_la
    hace 9 años

it can be difficult to retrofit a zoning system to
    ductwork not designed for zoning.
    do you have hvac company with experience in
    zoning? that would be the first step.
    the verify with former clients that the zoning
    worked for them.

have this contractor evaluate the duct system
    & inform them of all your comfort issues.

zone systems like ewc are made for retrofit
    & work with all hvac systems.

costs vary, but you will be looking at $1500 to $2000
    at minimum.

when you say two story family room do you mean
    family room on second floor (not over garage?),
    or that it is open to the second floor.
    you post isn't very clear.

best of luck.

Leo Schuster agradeció a energy_rater_la
  • Leo Schuster
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Hello,

And thank you for your response. To clarify:

The HVAC unit is multispeed, the furnace is located in the attic with an easy access to all duct work.

The difference in temperature is about 7 degrees. The house is 20 years old, but the HVAC system and duct work has been upgraded few years ago.

The family room is open to the second floor, so the heat is rising up and makes second floor warmer.

We just added some R38 insulation, but in Georgia, is way too hot and humid.

I spent several hours yesterday doing research on HVAC zoning; the job is not very easy and must be done well, otherwise it is not worth it. It seems like that average HVAC guy would NOT be able to perform this job. It is almost a job for an engineer. The system needs to be tweaked properly:

http://contractingbusiness.com/service/troubleshooting-electronic-zoning-systems-0312

I will try to find a competent company with zoning experience, and check their references. I'm still trying to find an average cost, adding only one zone for the second floor.

I attached a copy of the floor plan.

Also, the master bathroom doesn't have a fan, I need to get one installed. How much should I pay for that?

Thanks for all the help.

L.

• energy_rater_la
    hace 9 años

georgia, good to know location.

you might compare adding a whole house
    dehumidifier to the cost of zoning.
    @ 500 sq ft per ton, humidity removal will
    be limited, the dehumidification won't take place
    as the unit short cycles due to oversizing
    of the central system.

start early shopping for zone system installer,
    it will probably be difficult to find someone
    with experience.

best of luck.

Leo Schuster agradeció a energy_rater_la
  • mike_home
    hace 9 años

If the humidity is above 50% then adding a dehumidifier is going to make the house feel more comfortable. It is not going to do much in solving the 7 degree temperature differential.

• PRO
    Ecovent Systems Inc.
    hace 7 años

Why not zone every room? A complete Ecovent System is 1/2 the price of traditional zoning, involves no invasive installation and provides complete room-by-room climate control.

• PRO
    Ecovent Systems Inc.
    hace 7 años

Ask This Old House endorsed the solution this year

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.