Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_120412

Hardy Evergreen Shrubs?

User
hace 9 años

Does anyone have any favorite hardy evergreen shrubs? My boxwood have mites and get winter burn, my Laurels barely survive the winter, the deer eat my Euonymus. I look forward to hearing your thoughts? (I'm in zone 7a)

Comentarios (11)

• sequoiadendron_4
    hace 9 años

Mahonia bealei, camellia, pieris. These are all shade lovers, part shade at most. That's the best I can do without knowing your growing conditions.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Sorry should have mentioned I have FULL SUN and clay soil that I continue to try and remediate by adding compost and top soil here and there.

• Carly (7a SE PA)
    hace 9 años

cham obtus gracillis, cryptomeria japonica, ilex 'Sky Pencil'

• Mike Larkin
    hace 8 años

Ilex glabra shamrock, will tolerate clay soil.

The plants that you have been growing and a few listed above don't do great in clay soil will slowly decline unless you do work amending the soil, or mound your planting beds.

• PRO
    Pickel Landscape Group
    hace 8 años

If you want to replace your boxwoods for another type that's more resistant to winter burn, try Buxus sempervirens 'Varder Valley'. They also rarely bronze in the winter like most boxwoods.

Some other evergreens are Goshiki Hollies, Taxus and Cephalotaxus. It all depends on the size you're going for.

Winterberry and twig dogwoods offer winter interest, but aren't evergreen.

Also, you can try garlic clips http://www.gardeners.com/buy/garlic-clips-deer-repellent/31-226.html, they seem to work fairly well for us in the winter.

• blueheron
    hace 8 años

Just curious - where in PA is it zone 7A?

• PRO
    Pickel Landscape Group
    hace 8 años

7A would include the Philadelphia Region. Just a small section of south eastern PA is 7A,

• User
    hace 8 años

I'm in 7A in Virginia and have schip and English laurels (just planted!). The schips had a tough winter, but are doing better. The English laurels were planted under a big window and anchor nicely.

I hope they thrive.

• PRO
    Pickel Landscape Group
    hace 8 años

We had a client who had some Cephalotaxus 'Duke Gardens' go through a rough winter, but now they look great! We are in the 7A region. Cherry Laurels do take quite a beating if they're not protected from the winter winds, or salt spray. Anti dessicant sprays help as well.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I have these in full sun in Zone 7;

Cephalotaxus (have both the vertical and horizontal varieties)

Ilex crenata (Japanese Holly; heat and sun tolerant big time)

Ilex glabra ( Inkberry Holly; very versatile plant)

other hollies (Blue Prince/Princess, Nellie Stevens)

Schips Laurel (mine were covered in deep snow and sailed through winter fine)

Dwarf English Boxwood (never had an insect problems...so far)

Osmanthus heterophyllus 'goshiki' (interesting foliage)

Photinia fraseri 'Red Tip' (Yes, I know in the South they are being decimated by some virus but have not have not seen it here in NJ)

Yucca gloriosa variegata (not for areas with foot traffic because the tips are sharp!)

Yucca filamentosa

Dwarf Japanese barberry

P.S., I have given up on Euonymus (deer favorite!), ALL my plants have to be very deer resistant

• User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Great suggestions, thanks all, I have to look up some of these ideas. English Laurels don't survive the winter here anymore. My Winter Gem boxwoods are doing better after being treated for mites...never heard of Varder Valley but I will look for it! Agreed, the deer also like my Euonymus.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.