última modificación:hace 9 años

I am updating my kitchen. I am planning on painting my cabinets white
and have ordered new Shaker doors for the cabinets and drawers. I will
use satin pulls, very simple. I have an existing tile floor, which is
basically taupe/gray, and the floor is staying. I found this Colonial
Gold granite and have decided to use this for my counter tops. It's
economical, I don't have to change the flooring, and it has a lot of
white in it which looks good with the white cabinets. I had the idea to
use white subway tile as the backsplash, but I'm looking for some other suggestions. My
goal was to have the kitchen look sleek and clean, and every time I
found a granite that fit that bill, it clashed with the flooring. I am
looking for back splash suggestions that will be classic, clean and
simple. Don't want it to fight with an already busy counter top. Also,
I do not want to play on the gold color....I'm trying to ignore it.....
Thanks!

Comentarios (55)

• hace 9 años
    I prefer the classic over beveled. That doesn't mean beveled would be wrong, just my personal spin.
    jerseypeach15 agradeció a miacometlady
  • hace 9 años

@jennyevea- I saw something similar on HGTV's Flip or Flop and really liked it....yes, I would consider something like this. Thank you!

• PRO
    hace 9 años

I agree with the white subway tile--and the beveled adds some nice interest. Or the contrasting grout--love that look. Be sure you have undercabinet lighting and consider using plug mold (look at Legrand) to eliminate the need for outlets on the pretty tile.

• hace 9 años

I WILL be doing undercabinet lighting....had to have the cabinet guy make a valance to hide them because the cabinets are flat bottomed, but I was not aware of plug mold. I like that idea...I googled Legrand...don't see anywhere nearby to purchase but maybe the electrician can figure it out. Thanks. Also, just wanted to confirm....you say go with (in your opinion) beveled white subway WITH a contrasting grout? Like a TEC Silverado?

• PRO
    hace 9 años

No--I'd use a matching grout for beveled subway as the bevel is the star and we don't want to get too busy. To me, the point of white subway is for a clean, quiet, long lasting look. But with regular subway tile and white cabinets, I think you're getting a little chilly, so some color in the grout will perk it up. There are TONS of great photos on Houzz of white subway tiles. I also like the larger rectangular tiles--Walker Zanger, for example, in their 6th Ave collection. It's just a larger version of subway and looks fab.

jerseypeach15 agradeció a DeCocco Design
  • hace 9 años

DeCocco-- just looked at the Walker Zanger collection and I agree...fab! What's your opinion of the mosaics in that collection? Too busy? Is the rule of thumb, bigger tile= less busy, because I really like the 4 x 12, but have never done such a bold (read: large) tile on a backsplash. My kitchen is not huge...no center island, so would bigger tile make the kitchen look bigger or smaller, do you think?

• hace 9 años

hayleydaniels--- You know...when I read your suggestions to pick up the gray or pink tones, I thought to myself, "Pink? Where'd she get pink from?" Today while tracing the template, I got a really good look at the slab and sure enough, there is tons of pink quartz in the granite. Well.....how I didn't notice that before is beyond me....but I'm not too thrilled with pink overall, unless we are talking baby girls.....anyway.....the fabricator was pretty good at laying it out without using too much of the pink.....I'm hopeful that that won't be the overriding color that is noticed.....thanks for the input...keeping my fingers crossed over here that this all turns out well...been second guessing myself for weeks....

• hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

I really don't see pink. I see more warm, peach undertones...very pretty, though. Look at pictures on Houzz with Colonial Gold and you will not see pink! If you keep the backsplash neutral pulling from the whites or grays in your slab, it will look amazing. It's going to be beautiful. Keep us posted.

Marble Yard - Colonial Cream Granite · Más información

Shady Grove Kitchen · Más información

• hace 9 años

Karen...thanks! There is most definitely pink quartz in my slab....it's the most unusual piece of Colonial Gold I've seen...in fact, even the stone supplier was intrigued by this lot of granite. Not only does it have pink quart in it (which is not shown in the picture I posted) but it also has a kind of seafoam green color quartz in it as well. The original slab I picked is pretty typical Colonial Gold, (see below) but due to some issues with a fabricator, I ended up having to go back and pick a whole new slab, which is shown above in my first post. So, it's been a whole ordeal.....

• hace 9 años

Renovating a kitchen is always an ordeal! Your not alone. It's going to be beautiful with your white cabinets. Have you decided on the backsplash yet?

• PRO
    hace 9 años

I think a bigger tile looks cleaner and more modern. Would be lovely in a small kitchen.

• hace 9 años

Karen- I am waiting on picking the back splash until the granite is installed and I can get a good look at it in the room. After perusing Houzz photos of Colonial Gold and back splashes, hardly anyone used white as a backsplash...perhaps it's just too stark with the warm tones of the granite.....I won't know for sure until it's installed, but my heart was set on white subway tile and now I'm over thinking and seeing everyone using beige tone back splash tile. NOT that I have to do what everyone else does, but still..... The white cabinets will be stark enough, never mind a white backsplash. Anyway, this is all moot, I suppose. I won't be able to see until Friday. Until then.....

• hace 9 años

Smart move, jerseypeach15! Post pictures when the counters have been installed.

jerseypeach15 agradeció a User
  • hace 9 años

i'd go with a solid piece of concrete or stone or sheet metal of some sort...stainless steel or copper or something that has no seams or grout. backsplash grout can get so nasty and greasy.

jerseypeach15 agradeció a eightpondfarm
  • hace 9 años
    I see a soft green/gray subway tile in your future. That slab of granite is lovely.
    jerseypeach15 agradeció a The big house
  • hace 9 años

Thanks, thebighouse169. I see what you are saying. The only problem for me is that I am so not a green person, soft or not soft! Gray stands a chance, and as I said in an above post, I'm realizing more and more that the white MAY be too stark with this granite and cabinets.....

• hace 9 años

The granite is in, and I'm trying to post pictures. Every time I upload the photo, the Submit button disappears!

• hace 9 años

Oh, no! I really want to see the pictures. Keep trying.

• hace 9 años

Just figured out the problem....the photos were too big!
    Here's the before:

Here's the After....

• hace 9 años

The desk is not finished and obviously there is no back splash or new lighting yet, but I'm very pleased with how the granite looks...need new stools-- any suggestions anyone?

• hace 9 años
    Go with LED under cabinet lights. Best lighting levels and you won't have to change out any lamps for a looooong time.
    jerseypeach15 agradeció a bunnyllg
  • hace 9 años

This is what it used to look like.

Here's the new kitchen:

• hace 9 años

Beautiful! You did an amazing job. I love the contrast of the white cabinets with your beautiful granite. I would enjoy your space for awhile until you make a decision on the backsplash. I really like the wall color in your kitchen right now and think it compliments the cabinets, granite, and flooring.

jerseypeach15 agradeció a User
  • hace 9 años

The desk is not finished yet, obviously, but here it is. The wooden chair is NOT what i am using. It was purchased at a garage sale, (not by me, but by someone with good intentions, but NO). Thinking about an upholstered parsons chair....
    Yes, I know the stools are hideous and I need different ones. Suggestions?
    Two ceiling fans within four feet of one another is dumb. (I didn't do this). Thinking of changing the one fan to a more contemporary one, and eliminating the one over the kitchen table and replacing it with a lighting fixture. Can't buy the fixture until I change the table.

My kitchen table is too large. That wall behind it is only five feet, and the table and chairs are impeding the walkway to the laundry room. I need some suggestions for a table...unfortunately with such a small home, if I have six for dinner, a smaller table will not work, and that's why this one does...except it really is too big, don't you think?

• PRO
    hace 9 años

Lots of options with a drop leaf table - consider a round table with a center leaf; round tables work well in tight spaces.

jerseypeach15 agradeció a North Point Realty
  • hace 9 años
    I think the stainless steel tiles any shape would look nice.
  • hace 9 años

I went tile hunting today. So many choices......i appreciate all the input. There's a lot of gorgeous tile, but I don't want it to fight with my already busy granite. i found a cream color beveled subway tile, 3 x 6, because apparently they don't make beveled tile any bigger than 3 x 6....and I thought it looked simple and clean. The other half said it was awful. This should be interesting......

• hace 9 años

What do you all think of this combo?

I know it's hard to really see the colors, but this tile combo of bone subway with the gray/green/beige and glass block design looks pretty good together. I know the "norm" is to just use an entire back splash of subway tile, but to me, it looks drab. I am contemplating adding two rows of this jazzed up tile with the subway tile....it really perks things up. Am I nuts? And by the way, the bone subway tile is 4.5x10. Whoever told me they don't make beveled subway tile bigger than3x6 was not right.

• hace 9 años

I'm not a big fan of doing accent mosaics but really think the mosaics your selected work perfectly with the colors in your granite. Found some pictures that may help you decide. The first 2 pictures are subway tiles with mosaic accents. The third picture looks like a subway tile in a herringbone pattern. Thought that would look pretty in your kitchen and would jazz it up some.

Transitional Victorian · Más información

Kitchen Renovation, River Forest, IL · Más información

Glendale 2 · Más información

• PRO
    hace 9 años

That combo works beautifully together. Do it!

• hace 9 años

The area for backsplash is not a large space. Have you considered doing all mosaics without the subway tiles or do you think it will be too busy? Just a thought because the colors are perfect!

• hace 9 años

Karen...thank you! Your comments are always very affirming. I completely agree with you about mosaics with subway. Typically I am not in favor of doing that either. All mosaics is ok for some granite, but yes, I think it would be way too busy with mine. I also feel that it is trendy and I tend to stay a bit more conventional. However, somehow or another, I feel this subway tile, even beveled, will be boring, and although I do like that herringbone, the other half says no. So.....I am on the fence....thanks for the example pics.....I wish I was completely sold on the mosaic combo...I keep staring and staring at it, hoping I will get an epiphany!!!

• hace 9 años

I redid my kitchen last year and since we are not in a position to redo it if we don't like it, it was scary making all those choices for sure! I definitely wanted to choose something classic and timeless! Our granite is called Venetian Wave and appears to be similar in colors to what you have. Our cabinets are not white (i wanted off-white but my husband wanted a stained finish and i ultimately gave in), but we choose a plain subway tile in biscuit (from Lowe's, made by Daltile) that is a matte finish (not having done much research at that point, i wasn't even aware you could get subway tile in matte!). That way, it didn't compete with the granite in color or sheen. I have been very pleased with my choice, it is something i rarely think about which means i won't tire of it. I personally think that while the mosaics and colors can be very pretty, they will ultimately date a kitchen in a few years. Will your cabinets be a stark white, or more off-white? I personally think the 'mixed' neutrals look really nice together (white/off-white) :). Good luck! Its all worth it in the end.

• hace 9 años

jerseypeach15, I don't think it is a bad idea to live with your beautiful "almost finished" kitchen before you make the next "big" decision. I agree that the mosaics are very trendy...We put them in our outdoor kitchen about 5 years ago, and now I want to pull them out. Of course, we may all feel that way about white subway tiles in a few years, so the bottom line, is do what works best in your kitchen. You've done a great job so far. I would just stay away from anything that looks too busy.

• hace 9 años

Thanks everyone. Karen, you are probably right....I should just live with it for awhile, but gosh, I am so impatient....I just want it DONE! At the same time, can't really afford to make a mistake....

Amy- my cabinets are white....not off-white. The subway tile is bone or biscuit- can't remember what he called it. I do agree about mosaics being trendy and Karen, probably so with subway tile going out of style eventually too....but so will my white kitchen cabinets....by then maybe I will move!!!!

I think I'm going to relax, stop making myself crazy and just look for pendant lighting all night, haha!!! Actually not kidding....I must have looked at five hundred styles so far.....gosh.....this is exhausting!!!

• hace 9 años

Okay, all you helpful folks. My lighting is in! Finally got the pendant light situation figured out and I'm very pleased. Back splash being installed as we speak (or type)...so far, I am happy, happy, happy, with the outcome. All my worrying was for naught.....

• hace 9 años
    Looks great!
  • hace 9 años

Thanks Cabinets 4U! That article might have helped me had I seen it at the beginning of my renovation!! I'm pretty much on my home stretch now....just need a kitchen table and chairs, two new counter top stools and a fixture over the kitchen table.....and I'm done! My accent color will end up being, I think, one of the green/grays from the mosaic...it's soft and warm, and I like it a lot. Just need to find chairs in that color.

• hace 9 años

Looks amazing jerseypeach15! Post a picture when they have finished installing the backsplash and everything is in its place. Can't wait to see :-)

• hace 9 años

Wow, that looks nice! I usually don't like stripes in backsplashes but that one is stunning!

jerseypeach15 agradeció a Ann
  • hace 9 años

Ann, ordinarily neither do I, and I struggled with my decision, but in this case, I'm glad I did it.....

• hace 9 años

Karen....looks like we have a delay.....at the last moment, we decided to tile above my desk area, because I had an entire box of subway tile leftover. The installer asssued me we would have just enough, and as they were about to finish, they were short 3 tiles!!! So, we are dead in the water at the moment....it's always something, right? And really...I was NOT going to tile at the desk....those last minute decisions can bite you in the rear!

• hace 9 años

Oh no, but you will be happy in the end that you decided to tile behind the desk area even if it takes a little longer. Yes, it's always something when renovating and remodeling!

• hace 9 años

Karen, you know.....I "researched" tiling above the desk, and it seemed popular opinion was against it....even though I thought it would be awesome.....and even though it isn't finished (yet) I Do think it was the right choice! I see on Houzz some people do it, some don't.....but I am happy about it. Thanks!

• hace 9 años

I think it is going to look beautiful. You've done a great job so far!

I haven't see a picture of the area above the desk. Could you use only the mosaics in that space instead of the subway tiles? That's if you have more of those tiles left over? It's probably a small space, so it may really look nice. Just a thought.

• hace 9 años

Karen, don't have enough mosaics. We ordered the four additional subway tiles and the back splash will be finished on Tuesday. I will post photos then! Happy Memorial Day!

• hace 9 años

Can't wait to see it when it is finished. Happy Memorial Day to you, too!

• hace 8 años

Here it is! Only now there ARE plates on the outlets by the stove!

• hace 8 años

Looks fabulous!

• hace 8 años
    Your kitchen turned out beautifully!! Love your cabinets and back splash!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.