Houzz Logo Print
a165fun

Patio doors with Narrow sills vs traditional French?

a165fun
hace 9 años
I am putting in a 16' sliding patio door on an 18' kitchen wall out to a deck with a view. I'm having a hard time deciding on narrow door sills of 2-3" or traditional French style of 4-5" around the glass. I guess my gut tells me the future styling will be more glass, and I'm leaning that way to maximize the view and have it feel like more of a wall of glass. But, with a 16' door, maybe the sill size won't really make much of a difference. My kitchen has a lot of pine cabinets, hardwood floors, so I would want the inside of the doors to be wood to match, and the outside can be white to match exterior trim.

What style do you think looks better on a 16' door? And which brands have you had good experiences with?

I've researched Anderson narroline 200 series, and the price is really low, so I'm a little scared of potential quality issues at that price. The Eagle E-series (part of Andersen) looks really nice with cool options such as hidden retractable screen. Pella is about in the middle of pricing and their designer 750 series looks like good quality. Marvin makes good doors from what i see. They make both narrow and traditional. Loewen makes a great looking narrow door but the price was almost 3x as much as the Andersen 200 narroline.

So What style do you think looks better on a 16' door? And which brands have you had good experiences with? Am I missing brands? Looking for low to average price point. On this size door I've seen prices as low as $2,700 for Andersen narroline, up to $7,500 for Loewen.

Comentarios (17)

• a165fun
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here are the 2 style options.....
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 9 años

I think it depends on your style the one on the left is more contemporary and the other more traditional and to me that would be the style decision you would have to make as for companies I like Lowen windows for sure sometimes you get what you pay for.

• PRO
    Assured Corporation
    hace 9 años

We are the Midwest Rep for Loewen and we have had great success with them over the years. Their products are made to impress, perform and last.

- ACC

• quasiexpert
    hace 7 años

I'm guessing you've made the decision by now, but if not-I would steer you toward Andersen's 400 Series or A Series Frenchwood Gliding door lines. I think the thicker bottom rail adds more than enough durability to offset the glass loss.

• a165fun
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I ended up going with Andersen Narroline 200 series to get the most glass possible. Went with a bigger trim all around. Each door is 4ft. Love it so far!
  • Ann
    hace 7 años

We went with the Andersen traditional french slider about 7 years ago and we love, love the door still. I bet you'll love yours for years to come.

• quasiexpert
    hace 7 años

a165fun,

The doors look great, BIG difference for that space!

• a165fun
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
  • Kathy Woods
    hace 7 años

We are installing these Anderson gliding doors into a home we are building. Did you get any type of a screen? We are looking at the retractable screen but not sure of the durability.

• quasiexpert
    hace 7 años

I'm not the OP, but my personal opinion on retractable screens-if it's going to be a high traffic door with moderate-heavy screen use-particularly by kids, get gliding screens for durability. Retractable screens can be quite finicky.

• a165fun
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    We used normal sliding screen doors and they look and function as expected. Im pretty sure I researched retractables and found that Andersen doesn't make them for doors this big.
  • NatureRus
    hace 6 años
    To a165fun: I realize it's a very old thread, but I wanted to ask you some questions about your 200 door since we are considering going with almost the same door (8×16th to be precise).
    How is it holding up? What is the width of the styles between glass panels?
    Thanks!
  • a165fun
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The doors are holding up good. They still slide like when they were new. Ours were 16' long and 6'11" high. I wanted the 8' high doors but they couldn't fit because a huge beam needs to go above the doors. So, to do 8' high doors, I think you'll need 10' ceilings. A contractor will tell you if it will fit. Great quality, very heavy doors. Love all the glass! Except our 3 year old's handprints all over. This door is on display at our Home Depot. You might check there if you have not seen it in person. I'll measure the door frame when I have a chance
  • NatureRus
    hace 6 años
    Thanks so much for a quick response. We are in Portand Oregon, and they don't have these doors om display anywhere, so we are a little nervous about getting them sight unseen. Our cabin is on a creek, and we want to maximize our view as well, so we don't want thick bars between glass panels. How are the screens, do they inhibit the view at all? Also, would you please measure the width of the center style area where the doors meet?
    Last question: do you have pine inside and did you stain it or left it natural?
    Sorry for so many questions, and thanks again!
  • a165fun
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Here you go, I took some measurements of center 2 stiles where they come together. Left style, top style, depth from wall.

The screen is just your average screen. There are certainly screens you can buy that would better for visibility. I don't think Andersen offers them as an option on this door. Could always add later. It hasn't been an issue for us.

You can't beat the amount of glass on these doors. I researched the heck out of this style door and this was by far the best for the money. It is higher quality than I expected for the price. I would wait until Home Depot has 10% off patio doors, then go get a 10% off coupon somewhere and you'll save 20%.

The inside is pine and we stained the door and the trim a golden color before we put the door in. The trim is 4.25". I would have even gone a little bigger on the trim. It makes the door feel more substantial than a thin trim
  • NatureRus
    hace 6 años
    Thank you so much, it's so helpful.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.