Houzz Logo Print
dharshi_masilamani

Need help in my decision to build a Spiral stairway or a conventional

Dharshi Masilamani
hace 9 años

I am in the process of building a house which is Contemporary in design. I am of the view that a spiral stairway is the best choice as there is limited space, but my architect tells me that Spiral stairways are not trendy and that that is 'Old school'. Is this right?

Comentarios (32)

• Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I yet feel they are nicer that conventional stairways, would like to have a few more opinions.
  • User
    hace 9 años

Most spirals won't meet code for access. And you can't get anything up or down them. Like furniture.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

we just had one replaced in our summer house, between the living room and a "game loft". all the furniture went up before the new rails went on the loft and when we sell the house some day we'll try to leave the furnishings for the next people : )

i wouldnt want to go up and down it all day carrying laundry baskets, whatever. i'm probably less likely to fall on it because i'm paying more attention.

but that doesnt answer the OPs question, is it trendy. I dont know, but if you like the look thats more important than trendy. we love ours.

• shelleyuk
    hace 9 años

I hate spiral staircases and when we were house hunting I immediately ruled out anything with a spiral staircase. Its a very dated look IMO and spiral staircases are what we in the UK call "marmite" (a yeast extract spread for toast). You either love them or hate them (like marmite)

• User
    hace 9 años

Unless you have curved furniture to fit around a spiral stair case, the difference in square footage that a spiral takes up compared to straight is more visual than useful. The practical/ usable space that a spiral takes up including the odd shaped spaces it leaves and minimum distances it must be from any wall is about 30.25 square feet. The same code minimum straight stairs uses 32.5 square feet and you can still use the area underneath for storage, or leave it open and airy like a spiral staircase to give you the same feeling that it isn't taking up as much room.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

true fred, in a vacuum a spiral stair isnt necessarily space efficient. but only new construction happens in a vacuum. as it happened we had no other option for access to our loft, there wasnt a run long enough in any direction or headroom enough due to a curved loft ceiling, for other than a spiral. so, spiral it stayed.

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes
    hace 9 años

Depending on the space you have available, consider one that does not pivot around a tight central point. like the example above.

• User
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Nnigrt, I was merely addressing the bare bones argument of the original post.

"I am in the process of building a house.... I am of the view that a spiral stairway is the best choice as there is limited space"

Since this is new construction, and the architect should be able to find a way to maximize the space either way.... and it seems the architect is more comfortable with being able to fit in a straight set of stairs.... then I don't see where necessity or a vaccuum has anything to do with the OP at this point.

PS. Felix's example appears to take up, or make unusable for any other purpose, approximately 49 square feet.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

you are correct, fred, bad me for not re-reading the OP.

• PRO
    John McLean, Architect
    hace 9 años

If your home is contemporary, and the space to which the spiral stair is to go is relatively small, I think the spiral is a nice choice. You do have to keep in mind that getting anything of a large size up or down the stair is problematic. You likely will be able to find a code-compliant design either in a manufactured steel product or your architect can design a custom stair. I lived in a loft space for 12 years with a spiral and I thought it was terrific as a distinctive form in the 2-floor high space and felt very comfortable using it. If you go the steel manufactured route, I suggest you look for one with guardrail members that parallel the stair slope rather than have a stair with vertical balusters as shown above, although this may not be your visual preference.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

(john mclean, i prefer the horizonal rail to mine as well. but i dont like horizontal loft rail as children can more easily climb them, and i wanted stairs and loft to match)

• User
    hace 9 años

Dharshi

FYI; The stairs that you have collected photos of in your idea book are called "winders".

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/cheshire-house-entrance-hall-contemporary-staircase-cheshire-phvw-vp~16544071[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cheshire-house-entrance-hall-contemporary-staircase-cheshire-phvw-vp~16544071)

The difference between a winder tread and a spiral staircase is defined in the International Residential Code HERE.

• Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you everyone for all your views, it helps. Fred, you are right, actually what I am looking at is more winders and not spiral per say. Winders in two sweeps which are not as windy as the spiral. So you have one sweep and then maybe a landing and then another sweep. That way taking furniture up and down is more accessible. What do you think?
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

yes i can imagine a mover would swear less with a "winder".

• Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    so just to keep you'll informed, I have sent the images of these winders to my architect and he too now seems to be swaying my way, as he thinks they are quite nice and could be accommodated, so let's see what he comes up with. Thank you everyone.
  • km kane
    hace 9 años
    Spirals are also not easy to use when carrying large items up or down.
  • User
    hace 9 años

Even though a winder won't really save any space, they can be very accommodating and versatile in using the space available. They can be anything from about what Felix's picture represents to almost straight. They can even have some straight sections in the middle if necessary to fit the space or style of the house. I have often used nontypical designs of the winder to achieve a unique and comfortable space. Now that your architect isnt thinking "spiral", this could get quite interesting. Looking forward to seeing some plans.

• Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    That's what I thought Fred and somehow I think aesthetically, a winder is nicer, that's what I think. what do you say?
  • User
    hace 9 años

I was adding to the bottom of my last post when you were already reading it ;) YES! winders are much nicer and can fit any style depending on how they are done.

• Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you Fred for confirming that. Are you and Architect?
  • Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    sorry, I mean are you an architect?
  • mcbmd3
    hace 9 años
    It's a nightmare for moving furniture upstairs.
  • User
    hace 9 años

Let's just say that I have designed and built a lot of houses professionally ;)

Just design the winders with a large enough radius so that the types of furniture you need to move will fit.

And make sure the "walk line" is consistent in rise and run if you change how they curve in the middle.

• Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Fred, very helpful.
  • PRO
    Appalachian Ironworks of Va.
    hace 9 años

Please consider a Spiral Staircase, if they are fully welded and constructed correctly they provide great interest to a space. Stay far away from rickety DIY kits. Custom Spirals can be any size, the standard being 5ft. Diameter which would take up roughly 12 to 14 sq.ft. footprint.

s036 Custom Iron Spiral Staircases · Más información

• User
    hace 9 años

2.5 × 2.5 × 3.1415 = 19.634375 sq. ft. (5' diameter circle)

And the area outlined in red is still 30 sq. ft.

The perfect example of why you dont gain any usable space with a spiral staircase.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

they work if you have a square of space but not a rectangle suitable for a long run of stairs.

• PRO
    Appalachian Ironworks of Va.
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Fred 1/3 of the footprint is still usable walking space over 6' tall. Although I agree with your point in the situation in this reference photo as they have pushed it into a nook , in an open room you will gain 1/3 of your footprint math back. I have one in my living room and have shoved part of a desk backed up to a big chair within that space and have literally only lost 5 sqft.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The walking space height needs to be a minimum of 6'-8" to be legitimate walking space, and even then, it would feel awkward to be used for the actual traffic pattern. But, a desk is a pretty good example for a way to use the space.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

we managed to rotate ours so the highest treads are over the path from the kitchen to grill deck. i expect we are used to tilting our head away as we walk by but its not necessary.

• Dharshi Masilamani
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks everyone, but having had time to think about it, I have decided not to go for a spiral but maybe a winder or a conventional stairway would be my choice as I see many disadvantages with a spiral but a winder, if my architect can find the space to have one would be my choice. It's yet at the drawing board stage, so let's see what he comes up with.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.