Houzz Logo Print
bri_kramer

What's the verdict on curtains?

Bri Kramer
hace 9 años
I was talking with a friend last night who says curtains are ABSOLUTELY essential in a home. When my husband and I moved, we chose not to use curtains, because we thought the window, which has blinds, looked nice enough. (I mean how annoying is it to buy a $50 PANEL... It's 2015, why don't these things come in sets?!)

Anyways, I know some things are black and white. Is this one of those things and I've just missed it? Have I been lying to myself and need to bite the bullet and just buy some blinds?

Comentarios (9)

• fcs
    hace 9 años

Depends on the room but I think panels warm a space up and give it a finished look

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años

mine come down in summer and go back up in the fall. the house def looks chiller without them.

• PRO
    Sensational Surroundings
    hace 9 años

My bedroom is brown and aqua. I have chocolate silk draperies for Winter, but I remove them in the spring and replace them with white embroidered sheers. I also replace my heavy comforter with a white matelasse spread. It lightens everything up! That being said, have you looked at contemporary design magazines? Most of the windows have no coverings whatsoever! I guess no one needs privacy?!

• leelee
    hace 9 años

I don't have a single curtain in my whole house. Shutters on most windows and blinds on several.

• acm
    hace 9 años

Depends a bit on your style -- a more traditional style is well matched with curtains. (They get suggested again and again here, especially for bedrooms and very brocaded living rooms.) As you go more modern, they seem more and more out of place. I don't have any, but I do have some kind of window treatment in every window -- the trade-off with privacy is an illusory one (ahem, SS!). We have some accordian blinds -- light-blocking to shear as we move from bedroom to living spaces. Am considering replacing inherited vertical blinds on a couple of huge windows (sob) with some top-down shades so that we can have the privacy and maximize light/view as well.

• Bri Kramer
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Oops, just realized that last part was supposed to say curtains.*

Anyways, thank you guys soo much!! Our style is very industrial/mid-century with concrete floors and exposed vents, while her style is very traditional. This is exactly what I needed to hear! ;) (now I don't need to go buy any)
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Go to Ikea. They price their drapes by the pair, not as other places do by the panel. Ikea has a wide variety of styles & choices of fabrics, good quality as well.

• Kivi
    hace 9 años
    Zero interest in having drapes in my home. So no..not essential.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.