Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: How many TV's are in your house?

Emily H
hace 9 años

Do you need to have a TV wherever you are at home or have you gone to the other extreme and gotten rid of them entirely?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

PO HOUSE 2 INSTYLE HOME · Más información

4+

Comentarios (254)

• godiva10
    hace 9 años
    I watch very little TV but like the convenience of being able to watch in family room, bedroom, or my sewing room. Sometimes I keep it on to listen while I'm working, but most times it's off.
  • Najeebah
    hace 9 años
    quercus2 if there was an award for the best answer it would be yours
  • trishabennettmayer
    hace 9 años

Just one, in the living room. Definitely not one in the bedroom: I hate electronic devices in my sleeping area!

• magdawg2020
    hace 9 años
    One in the family room for watching cable and movies,
    However there are two screens devoted to Games Xbox etc one in my husbands office and one in the game room.
    The kids all tend to watch shows and movies on their computers I suppose I'll call it six.
  • PRO
    Lights and Home
    hace 9 años

I only have one TV - in the main living room. But I do have my phone that goes everywhere with me, that has Hulu and Netflix on it, as well as a laptop and a tablet.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    hace 9 años
    7. Because of our sports bar in the basement! No TVs in bedrooms.
  • Kendra M
    hace 9 años
    We have 3 one in the den one in the tv room and one in the gym
  • cabingirl13
    hace 9 años

One in the house- the hubby has an old crappy one in his shop. That is plenty.

• hangerheaven
    hace 9 años

The TV we have only plays DVDs and Netflicks; not connected to TV networks since 1990.

• Jerri Z
    hace 9 años
    I have 2 tv's. No cable, which gives me 13 channels. The TV in the bedroom I have hooked up to a VCR/DVD player I only have used it when I'm sick. I average 3 hrs a day of TV.
  • wallripperdowner
    hace 9 años
    We use our TV for the wii only.. Otherwise computer suffices for the few Netflix shows we watch.
  • Jackie
    hace 9 años
    His and hers.
  • squirrelyq
    hace 9 años
    1:) for movies and wii.
    We don't have cable or "watch tv", it's just for movies and the kids to play "just dance"
  • sugarmartini
    hace 9 años
    We have one. It's an 80's Quasar with a 12" screen. It's in the spare bedroom. We only watch old movies and news programs.
  • K Red
    hace 9 años
    I think our little house has fewer rooms than some commenters here have TVs...we have one actual TV in our main living space for gaming, streaming, and whatever the antenna picks up, a laptop that goes wherever we need it as well as a desktop computer and cell phones that stream Netflix or whatever else we want. We live in an era where we can all be essentially as connected in to whatever we'd like as much as we'd like, I'm not sure the number of TVs in a house is a solid index of much beyond a willingness/ability to dedicate wall space to a television.
  • Helen
    hace 9 años
    Three and I live with my car. Yikes!!
  • laurasue920
    hace 9 años
    6 - Living room, kitchen, family room, master bedroom, office, and workout room. And, there are only 2 of us.
  • Eleanna Murphy
    hace 9 años
    We have a small one in the bedroom and one in the living room!
  • sensiblegal
    hace 9 años

@everdebz - Apologies for the late response. I haven't been online for awhile. Other commenters have mentioned multiple ways to access Netflix through a regular t.v. We have accessed ours through 2 different methods. In the past, we just hooked up our computer to our television so that the television was the monitor. For us this was fine because we don't really use either that much so there was no arguing over whose turn it was. We eventually got a Play Station 3, which also connects Netflix to your t.v.

• PRO
    El Dorado Furniture
    hace 9 años

One TV with Chrome Cast. A very affordable way to stream Netflix, YouTube, Photos, Videos, etc.

• Mickelle Johnson
    hace 9 años
    E
  • doamnalaurentiu
    hace 9 años

I think one is more than adequate...TV's in multiple rooms is a perfect way to split a family, lol!

• kenkilgore
    hace 9 años

@jtorie1978: perhaps your reply was tongue-in-cheek? If not, consider that TV-viewing is more an activity these days than an event for gathering the family, and there are at least as many uses for TVs as there are types of rooms in a house. So if having separate rooms for living, cooking, bathing, sleeping, etc., isn't considered to be splitting the family, why would having multiple TVs for doing different things be seen that way? We use our TVs in different rooms for such things as browsing satellite TV and DVR for news and current events programming, watching movies on Blu-Ray discs and VHS for leisure with surround sound, playing on game consoles with friends, consuming Internet content sometimes for homework, watching foreign and art house films while working out, listening to background music while folding laundry, etc. None of these uses for TV take time away from all the other things my busy family does elsewhere inside and out of the house. But we fully enjoy all our TV options!

• doamnalaurentiu
    hace 9 años

@kenkilgore, it's been my experience growing up that multiple TV's in various spaces in the house took away from our family time. The scenario was usually: One person viewing a TV show in one room while another watching the VCR in the next room, and I in my room playing a video game. I also remember being able to view things that my parents most definitely wouldn't have approved of while they were catching a show in one room and I was enjoying my programming in my own room. Between school for me and my sibs and work for my parents, TV's in multiple rooms didn't afford very much time spent together. The activities that you mentioned during waking hours, bathing and cooking, don't ordinarily take up several hours, as much as I'm aware. But if your family manages to still spend quite a bit of time together with all the various TV's/activities going on around the house while you're awake, then you've accomplished something that many families in similar situations haven't, and that's awesome :)

• housewiferobin
    hace 9 años

Den and bedrooms

• thickskin
    hace 9 años

@jtorie1978-------Actually,multiple TVs are holding my family together. No fighting with my husband for the remote. LOL.

• doamnalaurentiu
    hace 9 años

That's a good way too look at it lol :)

• thickskin
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

@Kengilgore=====I hope this is taken in fun as it is meant to be. More that one TV is an an absolute necessity. If I want to watch my nonsense show; e.g. The Voice. And my husband wants to watch some boring sports nonsense all day and night; if there is only one TV in the house; somebody is going to get hurt or dead. It keeps us together, since he is not off with the boys (or girls), in a sports bar.

• kenkilgore
    hace 9 años

@jtorie: I guess different families use and manage time differently. I grew up in a house with just one TV, but my kids are growing up in a house with six TVs, not to mention all the computing and mobile devices. Yet our kids (at 13 and 10 years old) have already accomplished more than I ever did at their ages--black belt in Tae Kwon Do, placing on the podium at gymnastics competitions, major or lead roles in ballet productions, etc--to which the entire family attends every event, in-state and out-of-state (this month alone, we're going to my son's gymnastics Regionals in Colorado AND to my daughter's ballet Grand Prix in NYC!). Maybe the generations and the era we're living in are different, because it seems that the amount of TV we watch, and where we watch it in the home, don't slow these kids down, and the family goes where they go!

@thickskin: I totally get what you mean. For me, it's the SciFi channel; for my wife, the Cooking channel; and for my kids, whatever loud cartoon or teen melodrama that's on. None of us can stomach each other's TV tastes for long, so separate viewing spaces definitely work to keep us together!

• doamnalaurentiu
    hace 9 años

@kenkilgore: that's so awesome and cograts! Your kiddos have a lot on their plates for such small fries :D Yep, it's so difficult to keep up with the kids of today's generation; they're growing up so fast and with so much technology! Despite my family members all having separate lives growing up, my sibs and I still did very well academically and athletically. My sibs and I all graduated in the top ten of our respective classes. My brother helped bring his high school basketball team a state championship and placed in a collegiate national technology symposium before graduating summa cum laude in I.T. Engineering, and my sister and I both performed with our dance teams on national television (she in college and me in high school). I have a Master's Degree in the behavioral health field, which is likely why I'm so opinionated about family dynamics, lol! Our next generation are already following in our footsteps, but sadly, I have to say that my parents, sibs and I are not very connected. Not that the T.V./isolated routine thing was directly related to this while we were being brought up, but it couldn't have helped. But, I must mention that there are gaps in our ages: I was born in the cusp of the "Generation X'ers" and my sibs are what would be considered "Millinials", so this could definitely have been a factor for us being so detached.

• calvarylove
    hace 9 años

We share 1 TV, and considering the consistently disgusting, morbid, and sexually influenced programs, we are considering "no" TV. For people addicted to today's shows, all you have to do is watch the nightly news and you will see the same thing thus have more time for fun.

• bugsysmom717
    hace 9 años
    I starting looking for 10+ then realized it's only six at this time - every room and his shop. We are only lacking in bathrooms and the kitchen but anyone in the kitchen can watch the large screen in the great room. He'd love one in the formal dining room but I put my foot down on that one!
  • Chad Craighead
    hace 9 años
    We have one in the living room and I refuse to have one in the bedroom. Between FiOS and iTunes, I see no need to have a TV in every room for just the three of us.
  • Mario Molina
    hace 9 años
    Olljoyigobokyojdvjdzjlll
    D
    N
    Ofmt mhmygy
  • Olivia D.
    hace 9 años
    We rarely go out to the movies, so we have one 60" ultra high definition TV with surround sound in the living area. There are two flat screens in two bedrooms. I watch TV on my IPAD in a third bedroom, in the bathroom while putting on makeup or on the patio.
  • rosebudjoey
    hace 8 años

I'm puzzled by all the people who say they have no "TV" but then go on to say they are Hula, Netflix , U Tube fans. Binge watching the Game of Thrones on a PC is no different than watching it on a TV set. And like one of the comments already said, it has always made me smile to hear someone say they never ever watch TV but know what is going on with the latest episode. I have one friend who is very active in politics and always gets in the conversation that she doesn't own a tv, much like vegans who let you know they never eat meat but in the same breath, wouldn't own a car without leather seats. Go figure..

• smarsh1muirortho
    hace 8 años

Four televisions. Living room, family room, bedroom and den. My husband and I don't watch all the same programs. We watch the news at night before sleep and in the morning when getting ready. I record a lot of programs, so when I am in my office on my computer, I use that time to catch up on my recorded shows. I can also watch TV when I am on the treadmill in my office.

• dragontal
    hace 8 años

We used to have a TV but it was getting old and broken so we got rid of it.

• jeanniewurz
    hace 8 años

I didn't have a TV for 19 years. Then I got a job with Swiss public broadcasting 3 years ago and thought maybe I should know what else we were producing, so I bought one. I was perfectly happy with 12 channels, but earlier this year the provider forced all viewers to upgrade and now I have more than 100 unwanted options.

• Heidi Zagori
    hace 8 años

I didn't get a TV until I was 21 and then only had it for 4 years. Then got one in my 30s. I just have the one and I never turn it on, but my husband watches it. We keep it in the living room. I hope we never have more than one. We get about nine channels but we have a DVD player too.

• organizedsarah
    hace 8 años

Two...one in the living room and the second one in my craft room. I like background noise when I'm doing a craft project and enjoy movies and those silly court TV shows like Judge Judy...hubby loves educational TV programs, history programs, and those Alaska hillbilly-type shows plus a ballgame now and then! AND, we can barely survive between seasons of "The Walking Dead".

• PRO
    Koru Architects
    hace 7 años

One in the living room is surely enough!

• PRO
    Vant Panels
    hace 7 años

1 in the master's bedroom and 1 from our living room.

• arkproduc
    hace 6 años

This may sound crazy but I have 8 Samsung tvs in my house a tv in each 5 bedrooms 1 in the kitchen 1 in the family room and 1 in the two car garage . I know what your saying why the garage well I work on my cars a lot and others and I love watching sports channels . I would never forget when the cable man came to the house to install the cable boxes he had said are there anymore tvs in the house I said nope that's the last one he said good because this is the last box I have in my truck lol . But my six daughters love the fact that they don't have to share tvs .

• amnaggar
    hace 6 años
    In the living room only! But even that is a mistake, as I think TV should be relegated to a dedicated small and cozy room just for the purpose of watching a certain thing then it's done and we then start "living" with the family, as in talking to each other and communicating and cooking and laughing etc etc. There's enough phone staring going around in this day and age! If we leave the remaining time to that (brainwashing) TV we'll have no real human life as and why we were created for anymore. Extreme? That's not what research says. God bless.
  • User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I barely watch TV cause 99% of the stuff on it is either fake or garbage (including the news). Yet I have 3 65'' 4K HDR's for places where guests might be. Have a cable in the kitchen but refuse to put one in there. Any family that needs TV to entertain them while eating is a dysfunctional family.

• Linus Reimann-Kaißer
    hace 6 años

arkproduc: When I moved from home at the age of 22, my older sister lived with her husband and her son at the home of my mother. We had one TV for all. We all gathered together in the evening in the living room. And we watched much less TV.

• User
    hace 6 años

We have five, two in our guest rooms, one in our bedroom and one in our family room. I also have one in my kitchen. Our house is not completely an open plan and I love to listen to my favorite cooking shows while I cook. Too many by some standards. But even with all those tvs, I don't think we watch too much. We are retired, play golf, garden and cook everyday. So for us it's perfect.

• Christine Garcia
    hace 6 años

I have a tv mainly to DVR things so no commercials and also for streaming shows I like, like Outlander, with no commercials. There are two tvs in the house though and I really prefer the RADIO!!

• RegularClouds
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

We have 2. Kinda. 3? There's a third in the basement in a small apartment but it only gets used when my husband is working down there and is making a video or looks at work related things on youtube. Upstairs, one in the living room and one in the guest bedroom. Evening is for WATCHING TV. Daytime is for pandora to serenade us by way of tv.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.